Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luke Ming Flanagan's Credibility

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

And are you being selective in that comment or are you including Ming?

I'm not a Ming fan, but at least with Ming, what you see is what you get, unlike the other liars and bluffers in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

To be honest it's nothing to do with Leinster house.. it's to do with a universal sign of respect for the job and the coworkers

If Ming wants to be some sort of rebel let him, it's his professional occupation on the line.. as long as he's working for the country, and not just in there with a silly axe to grind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

ryan101 wrote: »
    I'm not a Ming fan, but at least with Ming, what you see is what you get, unlike the other liars and bluffers in there.

So what do you see?

So what do you see?

I see a guy who interested in issues he passionately cares about, I seldom agree with his opinion, but at least he's not there only representing his cronies and their slimy business interests, unlike most of them.

I see a guy who interested in issues he passionately cares about, I seldom agree with his opinion, but at least he's not there only representing his cronies and their slimy business interests, unlike most of them.

and he could do that just as easily wearing a tuxedo. Good night, God Bless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

walshb wrote: »
    The issue is not how honest and decent and effective the dress codes makes the politician.

Can you tell us where the dress code for Dail Eireann is written?

and he could do that just as easily wearing a tuxedo.

or better still not wearing one . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

As pointed out by someone else there is no code. That is the point I have been making. Lack of standards. Ming and Wallace exploiting it to the max. No respect or manners for the position they hold.

As pointed out by someone else there is no code. That is the point I have been making. Lack of standards. Ming and Wallace exploiting it to the max. No respect or manners for the position they hold.

Lack of standards ? As if any dress code is going to fix dail eireann, lol

As pointed out by someone else there is no code.

So Ming and Wallace are not breaking any dress code. Got it.

What was your point again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I wish he would turn up in a Roscommon/Leitrim shirt.

No you're missing the point.
    People are not that stupid about Leinster house anymore, I'd have more respect for my local knocking shop than that den of scumbags.

Anymore?

We've always bitched about Leinster house

We also bitched all the way through the Celtic tiger, the sub 5% unemployment, the booming economy

Apparently all Irish politicians are in fact corrupt and some magic power keeps the country from descending to the likes of genuinely corrupt nations like Zimbabwe

If only they'd lose the suits, and prioritise turf-cutting and cannabis legalisation our lives would be so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Anymore?

We've always bitched about Leinster house

We also bitched all the way through the Celtic tiger, the sub 5% unemployment, the booming economy

Apparently all Irish politicians are in fact corrupt and some magic power keeps the country from descending to the likes of genuinely corrupt nations like Zimbabwe

If only they'd lose the suits, and prioritise turf-cutting and cannabis legalisation our lives would be so much better

And you were doing so well:D

nice_guy80 wrote: »

So not only does he not dress appropriately but he can't fob in like others?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If the biggest thing Mings opponents have got on him is what he wears then they really are short on ideas.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If the biggest thing Mings opponents have got on him is what he wears then they really are short on ideas.

He gets paid to turn up and be a "rebel"..

ahh just kidding, he makes an important contribution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

So not only does he not dress appropriately but he can't fob in like others?:rolleyes:

others have also not used the fob while being present, the indo chose to use records that they knew weren't the complete picture to attack ming.

In other news, Luke Ming Flanagan has taken the legal route to force RTE allow him debate with the established parties in the upcoming Euro elections.

10345738_710178439046624_5670785578954944032_n.jpg

It is ridiculous that RTE are separating the sitting MEPs from the major parties and the rest of the candidates. They should be randomly divided between the debates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Ming is second in the polls as of today on 17%. That's a huge number with 25% undecided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

did not pinoccio try and bring in a dress code for the dail, he failed miserably, thankfully ming and a few others have had the neck to upset the establishment, if everything was the same colour the world would be like some posters on boards and similar places, rather boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

For what it's worth, I think he should be allowed to wear what he wants. I just wish he and Wallace would chose to show a little more respect to the national parliament and at least try to look a little smarter !

Am more concerned about how serious Ming is about the European Parliament, particularly now that he is polling so strongly. When asked on SOR during the week he refused to commit to serving a full term if elected to Europe ! Not sure I would employ someone if they refused to commit to doing the job ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

He's a protest vote for people who cant see the wood for the trees.

A hypocrite of the highest order. I really don't get how people haven't been able to see through his bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Lets judge Ming on his policies or lack of them. Not on his dress sense.

Here is a list of some of the best dressed men who have occupied the dail.

Ivor Callely
    Liam Lawlor
    Charlie Haughey
    Michael Martin
    Michael Lowry
    Ray Burke
    A great bunch of lads !

For the record - I think Ming is a clown and a parish pump polisher ! I dont think he dresses very well either. But lets not use his attire as a benchmark of his credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

This is a thread about Ming's credibility. Not his fashion sense. Stop debating what he wears.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's wearing us all down.

Lockstep wrote: »
    This is a thread about Ming's credibility. Not his fashion sense. Stop debating what he wears.

Like it or not credibility encompasses the whole person. The position/title/influence and appearance. People are entitled to judge him on all criteria. He's not a brick layer or a plumber. He's a TD. With this comes certain standards. Looking the part and dressing appropriately for the Dail is important.

Like it or not credibility encompasses the whole person. The position/title/influence and appearance. People are entitled to judge him on all criteria. He's not a brick layer or a plumber. He's a TD. With this comes certain standards. Looking the part and dressing appropriately for the Dail is important.

If you have a problem with my moderation, take it to PM or feedback. Do not question it in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

First: if he was running in Ireland south I would vote for him if nothing else just to completely P*** off the established politicians who I think have had it far too cosy for too long and are deserving of a good stiff kick up the behind in the form of being voted out. I think as before we are going to get what we deserve politics wise both local and the euros because we as a nation will vote these gob****es in regardless whether they be Ming or anyone else- they will have the same negative impact as they will be swimming out of their depth in Europe in amongst 750+ MEPS and will have no real say or effect in how policies that affect us are drawn up and implemented in Europe. When is the last time you heard of a sitting Irish MEP making tonnes of noise on a relevant issue?

Lockstep wrote: »
    If you have a problem with my moderation, take it to PM or feedback. Do not question it in the thread.

Okey doke. I didn't spot the moderator tag on your username until now.

• Advertisement

Looking the part and dressing appropriately for the Dail is important.

Yes, it is, and the part he has in the Dail, the image he's trying to project, is as an independent, an outsider, someone who is definitely not just another "suit".

So a pony tail, beard and a big gansey is perfectly appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The fascination with his dress sense and appearance says more about the people making an issue of it than it does Ming himself tbh.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The fascination with his dress sense and appearance says more about the people making an issue of it than it does Ming himself tbh.

There's no fascination, just observation!

Yes, it is, and the part he has in the Dail, the image he's trying to project, is as an independent, an outsider, someone who is definitely not just another "suit".

So a pony tail, beard and a big gansey is perfectly appropriate.

I rarely wear a suit myself but I have always felt that describing someone as a 'suit' is a derogatory, narrow minded view and a classic example of judging someone by what they wear.

OSI wrote: »
    If you're posting in your capacity as a mod rather than as a contributor, you should be posting in bold.

Grand

Stop discussing Ming's clothes. This isn't the Fashion forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

I really don't have time for Ming's policies and his type of politics, I was highly critical of the man when he was elected and had no time for him when he was posting spliffs to the dail and his dress sense irritated me as I felt it was disrespectful to the dail and the electorate.

However despite my somewhat conservative view of what constitutes a politician .. I have a begrudging respect for Ming. I would assertion that a life of smoking weed hasn't affected his intellect - he is a smart lad and has really grasped the skill of articulating his arguments, he has somewhat changed my view of the value of independents in the dail.

The garda whistle blower controversy only got traction when Ming and other independents were approached, I do not believe that the impact of what was being reported would ever have gotten the airtime and scrutiny that it did unless the likes of Ming got involved.

I think he will be missed from the Dail and could well fulfil a lot of his potential in Brussels

*** my admiration of the man is absolutely no endorsement of his beliefs or policies!!!! ***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I don't know why he's doing it. Surely to influence policies in Ireland you're in a better position as a TD rather than a MEP?

flazio wrote: »
    I don't know why he's doing it. Surely to influence policies in Ireland you're in a better position as a TD rather than a MEP?

I think a lot of the thrust of his argument is that Europe is influencing us far more than our own parliament - austerity, turf cutting, farm legislation, farm subsidies, giving away our fisheries, so it makes sense to go there to fight on behalf of his constituents.

usterity, turf cutting, farm legislation, farm subsidies, giving away our fisheries, so it makes sense to go there to fight on behalf of his constituents.

Of course, without Europe, we'd have no farming or fisheries, so we'd be eating turf.

Of course, without Europe, we'd have no farming or fisheries, so we'd be eating turf.

I think you'd find we'd have more fishing, and unsubsidised farming.

We just wouldn't be letting giant French and Spanish trawlers rape our seas.
    The EU has subsidised the decline of the Irish fishing fleet.

• Advertisement

I think you'd find we'd have more fishing, and unsubsidised farming.

Unsubsidised farming? Ha ha ha!

Irelands actual fish catch, in tonnes, per year, in 10 year increments from 1950. Note the big jump after we join the EEC:

1950 12,975
    1960 40,676
    1970 78,978
    1980 149,283
    1990 217,896
    2000 277,981
    2010 318,881

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tomblyboo

it's refreshing to see a politician like Ming speak for the ordinary people in his constituency and not just support the vested interests that try to influence politicis to serve their own ends (freedom fighters, nationalists, business owners, developers, investors) . I'm no fan of his, and he does make an idiot out of himself regularly, but he does fight for issues important to people. why would he not be credible? he's honest. and that's a lot more than you can say about some of the sleaveens we've had in public office in this country. Would you consider Alan Dukes credible? chariman of IBRC, former tánaiste and leader of fine gael. how about Brian Cowen? Bertie Ahern? or the late Brian Lenihan. The people who are responsible for the blanket bank guarantee and the poor state of the country. Or how about James Reilly, a doctor and minister for health. is he more credible than ming?

Tomblyboo wrote: »
    it's refreshing to see a politician like Ming speak for the ordinary people in his constituency and not just support the vested interests that try to influence politicis to serve their own ends (freedom fighters, nationalists, business owners, developers, investors)

I have warmed to Flanaghan since I first knew of him but in fairness you could just as easily add turf cutters and cannabis smokers to your list.

Unsubsidised farming? Ha ha ha!

Irelands actual fish catch, in tonnes, per year, in 10 year increments from 1950. Note the big jump after we join the EEC:

1950 12,975
    1960 40,676
    1970 78,978
    1980 149,283
    1990 217,896
    2000 277,981
    2010 318,881

Ok.
    That would have naturally occured due to the larger boats being used. Before that it was mainly inshore fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

We just wouldn't be letting giant French and Spanish trawlers rape our seas.

And how would we have stopped them? With our huge navy?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That would have naturally occured due to the larger boats being used.

Paid for in large part by...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I never understood the anti-europe felling. The free travel alone is worth it for the individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Rory28 wrote: »
    I never understood the anti-europe felling. The free travel alone is worth it for the individual.

Where do i sign up for this free travel :confused:

if you mean the schengen area..hmm

http://euobserver.com/social/124203

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

flazio wrote: »

While I'll give Ming 2 on Friday, I can't understand why he's running for Europe either. I feel he has had made a valuable contribution to society with the penalty points issue, despite his own entanglement in it - none of us are perfect, I'm certainly not. He is, in my opinion of better use here. I was particularly impressed how he upset Enda Kenny at leaders questions on farming, as a farmer myself he made valid and cutting points that led Kenny to throwing himself under the bus when it comes to the less well off farmer vote in the west.

Credibility is a relative thing in Irish politics, considering some of the "characters" that have been involved in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Bambi wrote: »
    Where do i sign up for this free travel :confused:

if you mean the schengen area..hmm

No, I mean unrestricted travel between European countries. Not claiming welfare in another country.

Advertisement