Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these machines?

Options
  • 13-03-2013 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

So a family member has a property with lots of these machines, but i have no idea what they are called, and i want to sell them!

They have lots of plugs, and fans at the top so i would assume it is for some type of hardware storage that keeps itself cool?

Any information on what they are most commonly used for, what they are worth, and where to sell them would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Server rack cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

They are called racks. They're server room equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

They are 19 inch racks, they are used for mounting IT equipment (e.g. servers, network switches). No idea what they're worth never had to procure one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Like others have said, they're 19" rackmount cabs. At that height, i'd say they're 42U. So look up the price of a fan-cooled 42U cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alcof89

Like others have said, they're 19" rackmount cabs. At that height, i'd say they're 42U. So look up the price of a fan-cooled 42U cabinet.
    Thank you! Any idea of value or bet place to sell them? I have 30-40 of them... Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Worth Feck all IMO, better selling them for scrap

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Your photo only shows a few of what you have, but it looks like only a couple have doors, and maybe less than a full complement of shelves. My guess would be that most customers for cabs like that would be buying new. However, a quick ebay search suggests the new price might be in the 400-700 range, so if you could find a customer, and aren't in a big hurry, it could be worth it. Maybe take some shelves out of the ones without doors in favour of the ones with doors, and wait for a no-listing-fee day on ebay and price competitively. Shipping could be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

All the ones in that photo have doors. Shelves aren't really a big deal if you're using them mainly for rack mounted equipment either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Alun wrote: »
    All the ones in that photo have doors. Shelves aren't really a big deal if you're using them mainly for rack mounted equipment either.

OK, I should have looked closer !

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Worth feck all", I very much doubt that, a new one of these will set a company back a minimum of €500. €50 a piece would be practically giving them away and bring in a nice little chunk of cash if you managed to get rid of all of them. At that kind of price a company would probably happily pay the cost to pack them up and ship them.

The main problem is that you're looking for a buyer who's kitting out a new building and looking to do it on a budget. Or you're looking for a hardware supplier who can store these and sell them on. Oddly it would be easier to sell 5 of them at €300 a piece than 30 of them at €50 apiece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 alcof89

seamus wrote: »
    "Worth feck all", I very much doubt that, a new one of these will set a company back a minimum of €500. €50 a piece would be practically giving them away and bring in a nice little chunk of cash if you managed to get rid of all of them. At that kind of price a company would probably happily pay the cost to pack them up and ship them.

The main problem is that you're looking for a buyer who's kitting out a new building and looking to do it on a budget. Or you're looking for a hardware supplier who can store these and sell them on. Oddly it would be easier to sell 5 of them at €300 a piece than 30 of them at €50 apiece.

Thanks a mil - any particular places to advertise them? I doubt the likes of gumtree etc. would work some how...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

adverts.ie would be my recommendation, ebay also. As mentioned above shipping may cost a fair amount for them, so make sure to factor in that cost

Nick

Advertisement