Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time going to New York City...

Options
  • 13-03-2013 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭

...Can anyone recommend a decent place to stay? My budget for accomidation is 1200 euro at a stretch for a week's stay in October and right now I'm pulling my hair out trying to find a place that is both functional and central to Times Square within budget.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I wouldn't worry about location too much so long as you're in Manhattan and South of Central Park. It's so easy to get around the City and honestly it's nice to get away from the hustle of Times Square at times. I'll have a look at some hotels when I get to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hotels are usually around the $200 a night mark.

There isn't much difference between the hotels, they all have small rooms. If you end up paying more than $200 a night for a hotel, you are just paying for the lobby.

Like Beefy said, anywhere south of Central Park is the center of the city. I wouldn't bother trying to stay near Times Sq, its a tourist trap and my least favorite part of the city.

You can also look to stay in Hoboken in Jersey, it'll be less than a 15min commute to Manhattan and a lot cheaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I stayed in Jersey a few years ago, it was much cheaper than a hotel in NYC and had no issues getting in and out of Times Square etc and closer to Jersey Gardens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

plus one on the New jersey, we stayed a few times at the NY Helmsley, nice hotel on 42nd street but it was $28 for a boiled egg ( no i didnt have one),
    the last few times we stayed in secaucus (meadowlands) in the embassy suites (best breakfast of any of the hotels imo, 3-4 $ on the bus to central station on 42nd street bus stops outside the hotel and drops you in the middle of manhattan journey takes about 15 mins buses are great and comfortable, we always try to stay in an embassy suites when in america ( have stayed in at least 6 different ones,some of them 3 or 4 times) the rooms are huge sitting room & bedroom 2 tvs as much as you can eat brekkie ( and they have everything for brekkie) fresh made to order ommelettes the usual choice of hot breakfast food,yoghurts,fruit, cereal, toast, waffles, absolutely everything enough to keep you going for most of the day. brekkie included in price also most ES have free drink as much as you want between 5 & 7 pm but the one in NJ only allowed by law to give you 1 free drink so they sell the rest for half price during the 2 hours, there is a massive walmart 2 mins from the hotel and also a Ross and a Marshalls about 5 - 10 min walk (nice walk ) they are 2 of the best shops for bargains (clothes, perfume, trainers etc) they are like tk maxx. 7 nights for 2 adults coming in around €1225, but remember the brekkie has to be worth at least 20-25 $ (especially if you are on the big side like me) so make sure you factor that into the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

tbh you're looking too early for a rate for October. Special offers come out about 3 months in advance. Having said that October is in peak season for NYC so hotels are pricey. Consider making a cancellable booking on booking.com or quikbook.com and keep an eye on travelzoo.com for specials...and there's always hotwire and priceline.

I like the Hyatt Grand Central, it's walkable to Times Square but if you're feeling lazy it's above the station and there's a train that goes straight to Times Square in under 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Feets

Dont get talked into getting one of those black cars from the airport, they call themselves taxis but they arent above board. Always get the yellow taxi if you are getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

October is an expensive time for New York. Something close to the subway line outside of manhattan would be cheaper e.g. Queens. What I would advise is book something now that you can cancel with no penalties and continue to look. Sign up to travelzoo.com and you may find a deal closer to your departure date. Definitely don't be sucked in by a cheap deal for the carter hotel!

Ops sorry just noticed earlier poster suggesting travelzoo. Get on tripadvisor forum also. There's a great destination expert called nywhiz who is extremely knowledgeable on accommodation in manhattan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Check affinia hotels. We stayed in the affinia 50 on 50th street three Halloween in a row. Year 1: standard room. Year 2: suite/studio apartment style room. Year 3: self contained apartment with separate double bedroom, sitting room and kitchen. Bumped up every time when they saw we were repeat customers. Couldn't reccommend highly enough.
    Very central, 5 mins walk from st Patrick's cathedral, 10 mins from grand central or times square.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Astoria in Queens might be an option close to Manhattan and great views from the subway, nice kebabs too, hotels from 100 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Stayed in a great hotel at the foot of the Brooklyn bridge in Brooklyn before. On the subway and just a couple of stops from where you want to be. Avoid Times Square as was said before, total tourist trap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Times Square gives me a headache. It a great place to see once and kids will probably find it cool but other than that I wouldn't be a huge fan. It is too touristy as the previous posters say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

We stayed at the pod hotel. It's on 51st, between 2nd and 3rd ave, with a subway station less than a block away and close enough to times square that the taxi fare is reasonable. Rooms from $205 per night, depending on occupancy.....you never mentioned if you need single, double, twins or a family room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

We stayed at the pod hotel. It's on 51st, between 2nd and 3rd ave, with a subway station less than a block away and close enough to times square that the taxi fare is reasonable. Rooms from $205 per night, depending on occupancy.....you never mentioned if you need single, double, twins or a family room.

I stayed in the pod hotel too, decent hotel. It was $170 a night for a single room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Hotel Pennsylvania right across from Madison square garden on the same block as Empire State Building and walking distance too Times Square!its cheap as chips there yoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Hotel Pennsylvania right across from Madison square garden on the same block as Empire State Building and walking distance too Times Square!its cheap as chips there yoo

Google Hotel Pennsylvania and bed bugs and you'll see why it's no longer the budget hotel of choice for many!

athtrasna wrote: »

Google Hotel Pennsylvania and bed bugs and you'll see why it's no longer the budget hotel of choice for many!
    Well I stayed there last year and I k ow 3 other couples who have stayed there with no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Looking at this hotel myself for 3 days in NY in August, great ratings and price. Around 400 dollars. 15 mins subway to Times Square.

http://www.countryinns.com/long-island-city-hotel-ny-11101/nynyquee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

always when possible eat in the neighbourhood delis, cheap as chips, use the smaller eateries, there is is one near times square, a tuna sangwich and coffee 3.bucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

I am heading to new York soon and staying in the Broadway hotel and hostel and it cost me about 1000dollars for 4 people the reviews were good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

As said, don't worry about getting close to Times Square, Manhattan is so easy to get around.
    If you do stay in New Jersey, be aware that if you're going home late at night, you'll have to get a taxi, and it can be pretty expensive; the cabs are only licensed in NY so they're not able to pick up a fare in NJ. Also, driving into NY from NJ there's a $15 toll (even though it's free the other way!), so essentially the cab driver will charge you a double fare, plus enough to cover the toll, and then you'll probably tip on top of all that. If you're in that situation, be sure to negotiate a fare before you get in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Sinfonia wrote: »
    As said, don't worry about getting close to Times Square, Manhattan is so easy to get around.
    If you do stay in New Jersey, be aware that if you're going home late at night, you'll have to get a taxi, and it can be pretty expensive; the cabs are only licensed in NY so they're not able to pick up a fare in NJ. Also, driving into NY from NJ there's a $15 toll (even though it's free the other way!), so essentially the cab driver will charge you a double fare, plus enough to cover the toll, and then you'll probably tip on top of all that. If you're in that situation, be sure to negotiate a fare before you get in.
    PATH operate 24/7 from 33rd st and World Trade Centre, and all the stations in Jersey will have a taxi stand outside if your hotel is not within walking distance.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/schedule.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Check airbnb and get a nice apartment in Greenwich village!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I stayed in Hotel Wolcott last week - old style hotel but very close to everything and comfy rooms and muffins for brekkie!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I stayed in the Park Central in NYC a few years ago and found it to be a great hotel.

Right now the rates for October are around $2,000 (plus taxes) for 7 nights for a 'Superior King' room with a king size bed. Those rooms are for two adults (no kids).

Under 10 minutes walking to times Square and about 3 minutes from central park (5 minutes to the Apple store if that takes your fancy). :)

Great hotel and I highly recommend it based on my stay, can't say if it the same today though, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 livers

hey - im going in nov for 4 nights... we booked through hotwire.com and got the w hotel on lexington for 600 euro... on their website its 950... if you go to hotwire reveal you get an idea of what hotel you'll get...

any one going to the u.s. in the autumn winter time should stock up a little on winter wear, there is a complete difference in the clothes got there and the clothes bought here.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Used to live in NY and Times Square is a nightmare to stay in. The city has such an amazing transport network that most places in midtown can be got to in a matter of minutes. Also I wouldnt rule out staying in one of the boroughs. You can easily find a hotel that is a few minutes walk from a subway with only a 10 minute journey into Times Square. The subway runs all night as well.

also use the neighbourhood diners to keep food costs down, they are usually great value and have a really good choice.

Has any one here stayed in the Mayor hotel?Heading back over end of november start of december and its a good price

Also looking at the hotel 31 in manhatton very reasonable.Any info from people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Has any one here stayed in the Mayor hotel?Heading back over end of november start of december and its a good price

Also looking at the hotel 31 in manhatton very reasonable.Any info from people?

I stayed in hotel 31 its a short walk from pen station. It was clean you have to share bathroom and they were spotless. I am heading oover on Saturday and this time i am staying in Broadway hotel and hostel i am paying 400 dollars for 7 nights. There is excellent reviews

Advertisement