Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huestons formerly Darrers

Options
  • 13-03-2013 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there is a business moving into the Huestons premises? It would be such a huge gap on Tullow Street if left idle. It will always be Darrers to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

It's not Darrer's any more. Best to keep up with the names of businesses that actually exist, or noone will ever know where you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

ottostreet wrote: »
    It's not Darrer's any more. Best to keep up with the names of businesses that actually exist, or noone will ever know where you're talking about.

To be fair I think anyone from Carlow over the age of thirty would know where Darrers was. Did not know Heustons was closed though.

Tullow St is taking a battering not good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

But the op used the name Huestons in the thread title and in the post.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I'm 25 and I know what Darrers is. No need to be badgering posters, he mentioned both names like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

And here, just to confuse the younger folks even more, the old L and N is looking a bit shabby. And what about the Five Star, ah jaysus, them were the days. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

madmaggie wrote: »
    And here, just to confuse the younger folks even more, the old L and N is looking a bit shabby. And what about the Five Star, ah jaysus, them were the days. ;)

Has the paintball/soft shoot place gone from the back of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Even worse is the state of katz restaraunt, can remember back when your letter from santy have a voucher for a free meal there.

Ah now, remember Fiddlesticks?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Thwip! wrote: »
    Ah now, remember Fiddlesticks?

Where was this?

Where Claires is now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Christ thwip we spent a solid fortune in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

And "DA Rea's" on Dublin Street

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pholland

I still have a darrers bag at home,,,,,,,,,,, back then all plastic bags were called " darrers bags ' WE CARRIED SCHOOL BOOKS , messages and all our football gear in those bags, ,

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I know of a person who went to England to visit family, when he was out shopping he asked for a "Darrers Bag". Late 70s early 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Legendredhead

I'm 18 and I can remember Darrers, my mam would go in for shopping and I'd spend all my time with the toys at the top of the stairs, had completely forgotten it until I seen this thread!

I'd forgotten I'd started this thread. You've taken me back to the joys of the static filled jumpers that seemed to be a speciality in Darrers, and upstairs, the ladies department, the stock never seemed to change. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I'd forgotten I'd started this thread. You've taken me back to the joys of the static filled jumpers that seemed to be a speciality in Darrers, and upstairs, the ladies department, the stock never seemed to change. :D

The big plastic container filled with loose army men upstairs was a regular visiting point for me as a child.

I remember that, and the poor Mammys trying to drag the kids away! I still have a grand crackly nylon dressing gown that I got for a 'gift' one Christmas, jesus, talk about a fire hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Morf wrote: »
    The big plastic container filled with loose army men upstairs was a regular visiting point for me as a child.

I always used to play with the footballs upstairs when my mam was looking at clothes. My mam had to carry me up the stairs for a short time because I was terrified of the stairs. But only until I conquered my fear of the stairs with gaps. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ah great memories. The embarrassment of being made try on clothes downstairs without going to the changing room. Balanced out by the sheer excitement of climbing those stairs. I remember the steps being huge, probably just me being small. One of the few stores, you would gladly lose your ma in as a wee chap!

• Advertisement

The grey carpet, with the migraine inducing pattern, and the stairs,with the gaps it was a twilight zone for anyone with a fear of heights. Now it's the stairs in Heatons that give me the frights. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Also, Saints and Sinners and The Little Owl have gone downhill a lot! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Also, Saints and Sinners and The Little Owl have gone downhill a lot! :D

Compared to Archibalds they aint !!

Fiddlesticks is looking in grand shape ;-)

Cant say the same for Cracker Jacks :-\

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

come back greasy mick's, all is forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

The Cellar bar is still doing a great trade
    Barrow Lounge was empty Sat nite.

bogof wrote: »
    The Cellar bar is still doing a great trade
    Barrow Lounge was empty Sat nite.

The Cellar Bar was under what was Cosmo Browns wasnt it? I still have visions of it still being there like some time capsule :D

You have me at Barrow lounge though... where was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

doughef wrote: »
    The Cellar Bar was under what was Cosmo Browns wasnt it? I still have visions of it still being there like some time capsule :D

You have me at Barrow lounge though... where was that?

Upstairs over entrance to Dinn Ri/doc morris pharmacy .
    The licence probably is in dinn ri .
    Now how about the Crystal Bar and Gormans ?

Finnegans for the grand bit o' dinner. ;)

• Advertisement

bogof wrote: »
    Upstairs over entrance to Dinn Ri/doc morris pharmacy .
    The licence probably is in dinn ri .
    Now how about the Crystal Bar and Gormans ?

Gormans was where Teach Dolmain is?
    You have me again with the Crystal Bar :confused:

I think we should meet for a pint in Jon's or the Misty Hill to have a chat about it !! :D

Advertisement