Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quatar Propose Elite Moneyspinning League

• 13-03-2013 8:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭

Nauseating.:mad:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/dream-football-league-qatar-worlds-1759814
    Desert storm: World's top football teams to be offered huge sums to play in Middle East summer league

13 Mar 2013 01:31
    The tournament - to be held in the Gulf every other year - would involve 24 of the world's top clubs, potentially including four from England

Football Sheikh-up: Potential venue The Khalifa Stadium in Doha, Qatar
    Oil-rich billionaires could offer up to £175m to the world's biggest clubs just to take part in a summer 'Dream Football League'.

The tournament - to be held in six cities in the Gulf region every other year, starting in 2015 - would involve 24 elite clubs.

Organisers would hope to attract four English clubs from Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur to take part, a report in The Times today claims.

The DFL would be bankrolled by the Qatari royal family in the hope it would rival or even overtake the Champions League and Club World Cup due to the eye-wateringly high sums involved.

The DFL would involve 16 permanent members with eight other teams invited to take part in each tournament.

The report says top clubs like Barcelona and Manchester United would be offered £175m to turn up - massively dwarfing the £47.3m Chelsea banked for actually winning the Champions League last season.

Matches would take place in the 40-degree heat of the Middle Eastern summer but officials have confidence in stadium climate-control technology which will also be used for the 2022 World Cup.

Sponsorship: David Villa celebrates Barcelona goal v Milan in Qatar-branded shirt
    Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno

The project is apparently being driven from both Qatar and Paris after the recent takeover of Paris Saint-Germain by Qatari Sports Investment.

They would hope to entice Barcelona, given they are sponsored by the Qatar Foundation, shortly to be replaced by Qatar Airways.

Any participation by English clubs would further open up the huge financial chasm between the Premier League's big guns and the rest.

It is not known if Scottish rivals Celtic and Rangers would be invited to join the DFL, which would take place in odd-numbered years to avoid clashing with World Cups and European Championships.

It remains to be seen how the sport's governing bodies, national leagues and potential participants will react to the blueprints.

UEFA and the Premier League did not comment when approached by the newspaper yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If united got 175 million for it, they'd be mad not to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If united got 175 million for it, they'd be mad not to play
    I suppose all the pointless friendlies n far flung corners could be replaced with this every other year but I doubt FIFA would let this happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

How can they stop it? Unites debt would be drastically reduced in 4 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

kippy wrote: »
    I suppose all the pointless friendlies n far flung corners could be replaced with this every other year but I doubt FIFA would let this happen.

I'm sure if FIFA get their cut, they will get on board fairly quick. I think it's a horrible idea myself but teams will be afraid of getting left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Hopefully it won't happen. Will be the death of leagues and smaller teams will never be able to compete with the big clubs.

Just with champions league smaller clubs are left behind, if this goes ahead then no way they can compete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

One sure way of putting all those stadiums white elephants to use after the WC.

If it was a once off then I could see there being a waiting list, but if it something summer-in-summer out then I don't think it could be sustainable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would be opposed to this - the financial gain it would give the participating clubs over those that aren't invited would simply be too big. Would just create an unfair and more imbalanced domestic league, destroying the foundation of the teams competing.

However, if it does get up and running, it would require each team invited to turn it down. If Man City accepted, for example, I'd feel Man United would have to - they couldn't allow Man City a further 175million leg up, over their billions as it is. Same in other leagues - if Real, Barcelona or PSG accepted invitations - any other Spanish or French team would have to accept if invited, just to ensure they are not completely left behind financially and competitively.

I don't want it to happen, but it does have an air of inevitability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Sep Blatter has had to changes his jocks multiple times after reading this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That's one way for teams to load the balance sheets.

Cant see it happening but money talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

This is worse than the 39th game abroad idea.

• Advertisement

iDave wrote: »
    This is worse than the 39th game abroad idea.

It's a lot more rewarding though.

If a club is given 175 million to pump back into the club they'll jump at it.

Speaking from a Chelsea P.O.V. our tunrover last year was 255 Million, add another 175 million on top of that in your talking about 70-75% increase on turnover from a few games, clubs would be mad to turn it don, regardless of the ethics of it.

This cash injection will however push the already elite clubs into an even better position, financially anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i know many would argue that football's soul has long gone already.

but if there is any left at all, this will destroy it once and for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

There has to be a ceiling to all this madness. Transfer fees are going to be ridiculous if the top clubs are trousering an extra 175m every 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Awful idea, and would end the game really, all leagues would be like Scotland/LaLiga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Really hope this happens and it destroys the premier league. Have to laugh at fans of all the English clubs disgusted with this idea but have no problem contributing to the Glazers, Hicks, Murdoch's billions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SlickRic wrote: »
    i know many would argue that football's soul has long gone already.

but if there is any left at all, this will destroy it once and for all.

I'd love to see this happen tbh. Football could use a big time reset.

I dont understand these Middle Eastern/Chinese/Indian/Wherever billionaires. Why cant they pump money into their own domestic leagues and try and create decent professional football there. Instead they want to butcher European traditions. Imagine if you had a decent league in the Arab world, China, Japan, India etc then the AFC Champions League might be worth watching meaning in turn the FIFA Club World Cup might be more competitve. But why bother thats hard work

Why cant they pump money into their own domestic leagues and try and create decent professional football there. Instead they want to butcher European traditions.

Jesus the irony in this post. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I dont understand these Middle Eastern/Chinese/Indian/Wherever billionaires. Why cant they pump money into their own domestic leagues and try and create decent professional football there. Instead they want to butcher European traditions. Imagine if you had a decent league in the Arab world, China, Japan, India etc then the AFC Champions League might be worth watching meaning in turn the FIFA Club World Cup might be more competitve. But why bother thats hard work

How can you expect people born into omnipotent wealth to have any capacity to consider "developing" or "creating" something? The see it, they want it, they buy it. Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

People will say they are against it yet they will still tune into Al Jazeera or Sky Sports to watch it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Read that this 'suggestion' could well come from a joke in a French newspaper.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/is-the-dream-football-league-just-that-and-a-nightmare-for-the-en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

RayCon wrote: »
    Sep Blatter has had to changes his jocks multiple times after reading this.

I initially read that as 'his locks'. Which would be more appropriate given that he must be running out of places to hide money. Blatter does not give a flying fug about soccer. Just wait until he decides for the good of the game that the next couple of World Cups after Qatar (Qatar!!) need to be awarded before Sepp hands over the baton.

On the Qatar tournament surely they are not going to give 175M to teams every tournament. Even for the Arab elite who 'own' the incredible valuable resources under all their countrymen's land this is a bit too rich. They are all too aware that the oil and gas is running out and want to create a legacy (hence the World Cup, F1 etc) but spending billions on one soccer tournament every two years will only lead to loss of face when they inevitably have to discontinue it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Does FFP include stipulations about money earned from non-UEFA or FIFA-sanctioned tournaments? This would completely p!ss all over it if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Does FFP include stipulations about money earned from non-UEFA or FIFA-sanctioned tournaments? This would completely p!ss all over it if not.

Not an issue as no teams will take part in non-sanctioned games/tournaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Its from a spoof article

"......Oliver Kay's story was spread across three pages, but its inspiration appears to lie in a spoof French article by website Les Cahiers du Football, with almost all the details in The Times found within their story of March 10. The site themselves have subsequently tweeted that their story "came entirely from our imagination."

"We apologise in advance," they added, "if Doha finds the idea sufficiently interesting to implement it #DreamFootballLeague."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-qatar-plan-europes-elite-compete-dream-league-082126288.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if that's true, The Times looks pretty dumb.

as do all the journalists I've seen this morning fawning over the work of Oliver Kay on the story.

Not an issue as no teams will take part in non-sanctioned games/tournaments.

I think if this type of money was there and real, some clubs would certainly consider stepping outside of the FIFA / UEFA umbrella to play in it.

The current football structure depends on FIFA / UEFA sanctioning, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to change a few superficial laws, set up a new licensing body and away you go. Would need to be a LOT of money on the table for it to happen obv because it would require clubs to accept banishment from the competitions they currently compete in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

For 16 teams that would be 2.8bn per tournament just to get the teams over where they would likely play a second string team in probably half empty stadiums. There would be limited TV revenue. The Arabs may be disgustingly rich but I don't think they're idiots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think if this type of money was there and real, some clubs would certainly consider stepping outside of the FIFA / UEFA umbrella to play in it.

The current football structure depends on FIFA / UEFA sanctioning, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to change a few superficial laws, set up a new licensing body and away you go. Would need to be a LOT of money on the table for it to happen obv because it would require clubs to accept banishment from the competitions they currently compete in.

Biggest issue would be players, not clubs.
    You are currently a squad player in your early 20s at MUFC, you might have a career at MUFC for life earning megamillions. Or more likely you'll be just below that standard (no shame in that) and carve out a career at mid table clubs, then do 10 seasons at management at similar clubs whilst eyeing up some sort of media career. 30 years of earning good money.

But by playing for MUFC in such a new competition you are likely banned for life from all FIFA competitions, coaching roles, accredited media positions etc.
    MUFC in the new league let you go, you aren't good enough for any of the other franchises and all other doors are shut.

Theres only about 40/50 players in the world who could take such a risk and most of those are megamillionaires already. No up-and-coming player could risk it.

Thats the power FIFA have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Instead of a normal tournament it should be 5 a side, like the nike ad on the ship.

I would watch the shit out of that.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Instead of a normal tournament it should be 5 a side, like the nike ad on the ship.

With metal chains for nets, it'd be deadly.

Yes but Cantona has to be the referee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Biggest issue would be players, not clubs.
    You are currently a squad player in your early 20s at MUFC, you might have a career at MUFC for life earning megamillions. Or more likely you'll be just below that standard (no shame in that) and carve out a career at mid table clubs, then do 10 seasons at management at similar clubs whilst eyeing up some sort of media career. 30 years of earning good money.

But by playing for MUFC in such a new competition you are likely banned for life from all FIFA competitions, coaching roles, accredited media positions etc.
    MUFC in the new league let you go, you aren't good enough for any of the other franchises and all other doors are shut.

Theres only about 40/50 players in the world who could take such a risk and most of those are megamillionaires already. No up-and-coming player could risk it.

Thats the power FIFA have.

FIFA can't just immediately ban all players from the top 24 teams in the world, people would stop spending money on the big competitions like the WC and CL if the best players in the world weren't competing.

I'd love to see something like this happening - the CL is crap with the shít teams in it - so a competition with the very elite teams from all over the world, which those teams would take seriously, would be hugely attractive. And if you make the money for winning huge, then those teams will seriously compete to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Christ i cant believe so many on here think something like this is a good idea. I presumed it would have been slated by the overwhelming majority as it has been on every other football forum ive been. Amazingly no one has mentioned the fans of these super elite clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Oliver Kay currently copping a lot of flak on Twitter for apparently falling for this hoax. Currently taking part in a Times webchat defending the story.

• Advertisement

Christ i cant believe so many on here think something like this is a good idea. I presumed it would have been slated by the overwhelming majority as it has been on every other football forum ive been. Amazingly no one has mentioned the fans of these super elite clubs.

I've said a few times on here, I watch the CL, EPL etc for the quality of the player playing, the more games with more quality players in them the better for me, from an entertainment POV. I'd rather watch Man United -v- Real Madrid than Man United -v- Stoke, and the less Stokes the better imo.

I WANT the very best players to be competing against each other on a more regular basis than I am currently able to see, I want leagues where Barca play Madrid, Munich, Milan, Manchester every week, and at the end of it the true best team wins out. Make it a closed shop, I'm not interested in the "romance" of some two-bit backwater team "living the dream".

I watch, go home and away, and put my money into Shelbourne FC - this will not affect that in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It was a spoof. Oliver Kay must be looking like an idiot now.

Lz1Mj73.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I've said a few times on here, I watch the CL, EPL etc for the quality of the player playing, the more games with more quality players in them the better for me, from an entertainment POV. I'd rather watch Man United -v- Real Madrid than Man United -v- Stoke, and the less Stokes the better imo.

I WANT the very best players to be competing against each other on a more regular basis than I am currently able to see, I want leagues where Barca play Madrid, Munich, Milan, Manchester every week, and at the end of it the true best team wins out. Make it a closed shop, I'm not interested in the "romance" of some two-bit backwater team "living the dream".

I watch, go home and away, and put my money into Shelbourne FC - this will not affect that in any way.

I remember clearly Denis Law scoring the back heel that relegated Utd in the 70's. It is extraordinary how many people think football was invented around 1990. Is it worth considering that this proposed league (which is a hoax thankfully) would have excluded Utd and City for a large chunk of the time ore-1990 (and later in the case of City and Cheksea for that matter)?

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I remember clearly Denis Law scoring the back heel that relegated Utd in the 70's.
    It is extraordinary how many people think that is true
    Deise Vu wrote: »
    Is it worth considering that this proposed league (which is a hoax thankfully) would have excluded Utd and City for a large chunk of the time ore-1990 (and later in the case of City and Cheksea for that matter)?

Why is that worth considering at all? - the benefactors of any such proposal would invite the teams they want in - no doubt including some "local" UAE team or teams.

Some of us are a little jaded by the rubbish that is current football under FIFA / UEFA and would welcome a little chaos for the possibility of a fundamental reshift and reimagining of the game it may bring, that's all.

• Advertisement

I propose a 5-a side league.

My Chelsea team :
    Luiz Cole

Oscar Mata

Hazard

Although I fear a Barca or Real 5 a-side would be very hard to stop.

/Jaysus I'm bored in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

This would possibly take away from international football even more than club football has. International friendlies are entirely irrelevant and of no interest for the majority of spectators and players. The clubs pay the wages, the players live near their club and spend nearly every day of the year with their club so will feel more attached to their club. If clubs took this seriously, it could impact upon the Euros (especially with the stupid decision to increase the number of teams) and the World Cup, with so much mediocrity in the group stages. This competition will result in massive payments for players which is of courses greater incentive than national pride, particularly when that national pride is not necessarily legitimate I
    E. Winning a football tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Will ruin the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

GavRedKing wrote: »

My Chelsea team :

Although I fear a Barca or Real 5 a-side would be very hard to stop.

/Jaysus I'm bored in work.

United:
    Vidic Evra

Rooney Nani

Van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

GavRedKing wrote: »

My Chelsea team :

United:

No goalie?!

If I was an oligarch with money to burn, I would opt for another type of tournament - One where each of the major leagues put forward a representative team made up of their best players. Messi, Ronaldo and Falcao against Suarez, RVP and Bale? Yes please. Would probably be much easier to get the national associations on board too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

United:

Picking someone like Vidic in 5-a-side would be silly. Carrick would be far more effective, 5-a-side teams are better off with 5 players who can pass and are comfortable on the ball, especially at the back.

Infct, a 5-a-side of Ronaldinho, Robinho, Neymar and Oscar with a half decent goalie would absolutely maul any team with defensive players in it.

Same as a team with Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Fabregas and a keeper or Di Maria, Ronaldo, Ozil, Alonso and Modric + a keeper would or so forth.

Defensive players are pants in 5-a-side.

What's the difference between what is being suggested here and the original shift from the old European cup to the Champions league. The strong are getting stronger and the gap between them and everyone else is widening. I'd love to see the premier league/champions league implode and go back they way things were.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Probably right.

What would change? An extra group would be added to the teat alongside FIFA, UEFA and the other feds to a lesser extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What exactly would this help reset?

• Advertisement
Advertisement