Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quatar Propose Elite Moneyspinning League

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

You really think these billionaires will pay 16 clubs 175 million each? Not a hope they will its a non story never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

If this goes ahed it would be the death of football....**** modern football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

At least get the name of the bloody country right, OP.

Christ i cant believe so many on here think something like this is a good idea. I presumed it would have been slated by the overwhelming majority as it has been on every other football forum ive been. Amazingly no one has mentioned the fans of these super elite clubs.

Spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

flas wrote: »
    If this goes ahed it would be the death of football....**** modern football

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well this whole story is turning into one hell of a scam isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Neil3030 wrote: »
    There has to be a ceiling to all this madness. Transfer fees are going to be ridiculous if the top clubs are trousering an extra 175m every 2 years.
    Agreed.

The notion that clubs are going to be prudent with all the extra cash is just nonsensical. All the extra revenue will just end up being spent on wages and transfer fees as club continue to over-extend themselves to get into this competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

doncarlos wrote: »
    What's the difference between what is being suggested here and the original shift from the old European cup to the Champions league. The strong are getting stronger and the gap between them and everyone else is widening. I'd love to see the premier league/champions league implode and go back they way things were.

Champions League for champions only!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

At least get the name of the bloody country right, OP.

This what you do online? How exciting for you. I'd say you're great crack to go for a pint with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Times editor Tony Evans has wrote a piece for tomorrow's paper apologising to their readers and admitting that they were duped.

Poor old Oliver Kay must feel rotten. Especially after his vigorous denials that he'd been had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Pighead wrote: »
    Times editor Tony Evans has wrote a piece for tomorrow's paper apologising to their readers and admitting that they were duped.

Poor old Oliver Kay must feel rotten. Especially after his vigorous denials that he'd been had.

So the whole thing was made up. As someone who doesn't like Kay this amuses me :)

copy of story from the Times linked below.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/in-full-for-free-the-times-apology-on-being-fooled-by-the-qatar-dream-football-league-story/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If Limerick FC were offered a spot, it would be difficult to turn it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This could only be a precursor to having a year-round elite European league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Awful idea, and would end the game really, all leagues would be like Scotland/LaLiga

Scotland/La Liga -Me no understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Pighead wrote: »

The 'apology' actually annoys me more.

Apparently its the fault of the state of the game bloated by money and the dubious characters it attracts, which makes it so difficult for the reputable football journalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

This story was nonsense, but it doesn't change the fact the the future of top flight football lies in a European super league. It's just a matter of when it happens. I'd be surprised if clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs weren't thinking very long term, and building a revenue base and squad with the plan being one of the clubs involved. Granted it's probably a decade plus away at least at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    This story was nonsense, but it doesn't change the fact the the future of top flight football lies in a European super league. It's just a matter of when it happens. I'd be surprised if clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs weren't thinking very long term, and building a revenue base and squad with the plan being one of the clubs involved. Granted it's probably a decade plus away at least at this stage

But this was a completely different animal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I dont see an issue with it really. Basically covers your preseason and gives the clubs a nice pay day too. Stupidly unrealistic amounts but if people are willing to pay, then why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Why not? Because it will create a super elite band of clubs and kill the entire notion of divisional football and promotion into the big league. Now we can argue the toss on whether or not the CL does that already but this is a different animal. It would be like the champions league on steroids. Your club doesn't make it in within the first 2 years then you've no hope of ever making it in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

iregk wrote: »
    Why not? Because it will create a super elite band of clubs and kill the entire notion of divisional football and promotion into the big league. Now we can argue the toss on whether or not the CL does that already but this is a different animal. It would be like the champions league on steroids. Your club doesn't make it in within the first 2 years then you've no hope of ever making it in!
    It's a pre-season tournament. It's not a full league system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Any kind of potential super league could be easily blown out of the water by the smaller clubs. All that needs to be done is for them to boycott the 4 teams from their domestic league. I'm not sure if clubs could vote to eject the 4 clubs from the league, but a boycott would certainly work. If for example United, Chelsea, Arsenal and City only had each other to play, there would effectively be no EPL. And with only 3 other domestic sides to play, their hand would be forced.

The big 4 would have no choice but to withdraw from said super league. The smaller clubs have a lot of bargaining power if they come together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

grenache wrote: »
    Any kind of potential super league could be easily blown out of the water by the smaller clubs. All that needs to be done is for them to boycott the 4 teams from their domestic league. I'm not sure if clubs could vote to eject the 4 clubs from the league, but a boycott would certainly work. If for example United, Chelsea, Arsenal and City only had each other to play, there would effectively be no EPL. And with only 3 other domestic sides to play, their hand would be forced.

The big 4 would have no choice but to withdraw from said super league. The smaller clubs have a lot of bargaining power if they come together.

A more likely scenario than that is that the "smaller" clubs get sniff of the money, and tell the bigger clubs "give us a cut, or else".

Without the "big 4" the EPL is not a product anyway, so if the "smaller" clubs told the "big 4" to get fúcked, they'd be screwing themselves in the foot.

Who are the big 4 now anyway? I thought it was agreed there was a "big 6" now? Once you remember a few of the others will be relegated each year there wouldn't be a massive majority to tell the 6 to eff off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Who are the big 4 now anyway? I thought it was agreed there was a "big 6" now? Once you remember a few of the others will be relegated each year there wouldn't be a massive majority to tell the 6 to eff off.

There isn't a "Big 4" - the biggest teams in England with a worldwide fan base - which is what this whole idea is based on milking, are United by a distance, followed by Liverpool.

I've no doubt Liverpool would be invited to take part in this, and if you were picking 4 teams, you'd obviously have City in there, with their ME contacts, and then, obviously, Chelsea.

I reckon Arsenal and Spurs would lose out.

Advertisement