Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Starting to snow in D14, hopefully its cold enough to stick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Oh I konw!

Light snow here now, btw. :)

Yeah, here too :) Good time to go out for a walk for some fresh air and a little fix then :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Dying shower overhead with a few small flakes falling. Radar mediocre looking but keeping the faith

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Definite shift in IOM shadow looking at latest rader - either wind has shifted or IOM has shifted...suspect the former. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

whitebriar wrote: »
    Very heavy snow shower in Arklow now.
    Entire place white for the first time today.

Lashing rain at my house in Arklow :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Big shower here everything white

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Definite shift in IOM shadow looking at latest rader - either wind has shifted or IOM has shifted...suspect the former. :p

The goddamn thing is killing Dublin 15 right now, clear and dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

i know this is probably a silly question but how does the IOM shadow work? and more importantly what needs to change to get out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Went back up the Wicklow mountains today and there was easily another 4/5 inches since yesterday. The Sally Gap was passable (by jeep) but Kippure wasn't. Came upon 4 jeeps pulling the army out of a drift!

Can't wait to take a spin up tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

i know this is probably a silly question but how does the IOM shadow work? and more importantly what needs to change to get out of it?

A large earthquake to consume it into the ocean. Unfortunately Liverpool would be destroyed in the consequent tsunami. Win win situation really!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

and more importantly what needs to change to get out of it?

The wind.

The IOM is your friend and foe.

The high terrain of the IOM often helps showers develop as in a strong NNE to E wind flow across the Irish Sea the air gets, basically, bent around the IOM disturbing the air flow and aiding the formation of showers....so those who often request that the IOM be nuked....don't, as it helps 'make' the showers, but then also can cause misery for others in it's shadow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Rougies wrote: »

Wicklow one doing a bit better now as Whitebriar just confirmed ;)
    It sent in a scout.
    No sign of the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It's shorting the distance that shower's can form over the Irish sea,so no showers form so when you look at a radar it loose like the IOM is casting a shadow in the shower's that the radar shows,hence the IOM shadow .
    change of wind direction changes where is affected by the shadow.
    Hopes this helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A large earthquake to consume it into the ocean. Unfortunately Liverpool would be destroyed in the consequent tsunami. Win win situation really!

Hopefully the tsunami will wipe out Manchester too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

The wind.

The IOM is your friend and foe.

The high terrain of the IOM often helps showers develop as in a strong NNE to E wind flow across the Irish Sea the air gets, basically, bent around the IOM disturbing the air flow and aiding the formation of showers....so those who often request that the IOM be nuked....don't, as it helps 'make' the showers, but then also can cause misery for others in it's shadow.

Same applies to Anglesey I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Only the red side of liverpool:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Had a nice snow shower here, big chunky flakes that turned the ground white again, easing off now to a mild dust

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

baraca wrote: »
    Big shower here everything white

Is it still snowing where you are Baraca?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭secman

its an awful pity the isle of man is not 10 times bigger ! this god awful weather is a right pain in the ball X, especially when it should be about 12 to 15 degrees. Its not even proper snow, woeful apology for snow.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭thomasj

The goddamn thing is killing Dublin 15 right now, clear and dry!

Keep the faith!

If raintoday are to believed (and they were right last night) there are a few juicy showers heading in the d15 direction in the coming hours leading up to midnight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

just back from a run and was snowing very heavily here, not sticking though 0.5c last time i checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Anyone else in N Kildare just get a heavy snow shower, just got a really nice dusting, hoping for more in the next few hours:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Greystones is now white...... Hope it lasts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

After hours of nothing, some light shtuff is starting to fall in D15!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Disappointing for the southeast, for some reason eventhough we are furthest from the high pressure we have little ppn. I mean why Dublin gets plenty and Wexford gets little I don't quite understand. They are both on the East coast with similar sea track to UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

It's back,light but it's back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

youknowwho wrote: »
    Went back up the Wicklow mountains today and there was easily another 4/5 inches since yesterday. The Sally Gap was passable (by jeep) but Kippure wasn't. Came upon 4 jeeps pulling the army out of a drift!

Can't wait to take a spin up tomorrow :D

Very wise to deliberately drive into an area that 4 jeeps had to tug out the army, and possibly another nights snow on the way up there.

Don't you read the news?

It's careless in my opinion. The roads shut be shut by the authorities in these conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Disappointing for the southeast, for some reason eventhough we are furthest from the high pressure we have little ppn. I mean why Dublin gets plenty and Wexford gets little I don't quite understand. They are both on the East coast with similar sea track to UK
    We're getting next to nothing down here, the clouds seem to evaporate when they get anywhere near the snow shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

youknowwho wrote: »
    Greystones is now white...... Hope it lasts :)
    same here we deserve it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

You have less sea track from Wales n a E/NE flow. And the airflow has to travel across more British landmass than it does for Dublin, where it comes across the narrowest part of Britain, hence keeping more moisture.

When we're in a NNE flow, the showers head out into the Celtic Sea for you, while they usually hit land on the east coast.

You did a lot better than us a couple of weeks ago though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement