Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Latest radar looks good for a covering of snow over most of Dublin, hopefully preceded by graupel (nice base for the snow to stick)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rougies wrote: »
    It's here!!! :D

Everything white already! Wooooooo!

Ditto. A fog of snow here! Everything white again....roads 'n all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

Rougies wrote: »

It's still game on alright. Still bubbling away in the Irish Sea. But the radar is very misleading this evening, very hard to track when/where/how hard the showers hit.

The wind keeps alternating direction every so often too which makes things even more difficult to predict. And then there's a seemingly completely random tendency for them to completely disappear or sometime rapidly intensify as they hit land.

It's both very interesting and very frustrating at the same time :p

No snow in west or north dublin yet this evening...last blizzard was at 4 o'clock....... any reports of snow from north dublin??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Back to light stuff now but have a nice coating ready for next shower :)

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Ditto. A fog of snow here! Everything white again....roads 'n all. :)

Told you it was heavy :D CHUCKING it down again!!! :)

Dan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Light snow has started in dublin 5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    No snow in west or north dublin yet this evening...last blizzard was at 4 o'clock....... any reports of snow from north dublin??

Coming down in Portmarnock right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Just started in D13 , getting a bit heavier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

starting to build now in d9

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

where is my road gone???? this is amazing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Thrilled for all those who are seeing snow tonight. Hope to see some here tonight but its looking doubtful but ya never know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ZX7R wrote: »
    Ile of man was defiantly casting a Shadow,you can really see it on the meto radar.co.uk
    There's just no way it could be the Isle of Man this time around. If you look at the earlier radar shots from this afternoon, you could see the the Louth-bound streamers literally forming over the Isle of Man and increasing in intensity after they passed over the island.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

If anyone looked at what's coming from Britain, the showers are passing to either side of the Lake District as they enter the Irish Sea. The gap in the shower bands is too wide to be accounted for by the IoM. This has been happening before in the previous cold spell, and I posted radar shots showing this. The sea is not as big a contribution to shower formation as it was in November 2010. The sea temperatures are much lower now. We're benefiting more from what's being carried over on the very long North Sea fetch.

What happened in December 2010 doesn't necessarily apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Graupe/Snow pellets/Snow here but generally light, has left a whiteness on the cars and some surfaces.

Hopefully squeak some more overnight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

D15 yet to see a decent fall! In the meantime, here's a pic of this mornings barrage on the way to work, can't even see the pathway :pac: I wonder will tonights falls equal this! :P
    Photo0342.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

No snow in D15. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There's just no way it could be the Isle of Man this time around. If you look at the earlier radar shots from this afternoon, you could see the the Louth-bound streamers literally forming over the Isle of Man and increasing in intensity after they passed over the island.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

If anyone looked at what's coming from Britain, the showers are passing to either side of the Lake District as they enter the Irish Sea. The gap in the shower bands is too wide to be accounted for by the IoM. This has been happening before in the previous cold spell, and I posted radar shots showing this. The sea is not as big a contribution to shower formation as it was in November 2010. The sea temperatures are much lower now. We're benefiting more from what's being carried over on the very long North Sea fetch.

What happened in December 2010 doesn't necessarily apply here.

I disagree in so far as the showers affecting the Irish sea coasts are more intense than those affecting the English east coast indicating that infact the extra 2-4c SST is enhancing the shower intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

So Rougies and Docrach have both finally got their fix. Me? Still haven't got anything heavy or near heavy enough to stick to anything but the bin lid and a car or two!

The moon is stunning tonight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

There are some promising scenes on the cameras. The M50 seems to be suffering a white out in some locations

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

coming down here now my snow comes after Rougies lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Grapuel has left the place white :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

just incase im jinxing it by putting out the "big optimistic ruler" Snowcam Knocklyon D16 is gonna stay "birdfeeder Cam" tonight, but still worth a look.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mech11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I disagree in so far as the showers affecting the Irish sea coasts are more intense than those affecting the English east coast indicating that infact the extra 2-4c SST is enhancing the shower intensity.

He's saying not as big of a factor. Which is true.

What you are saying regarding North Sea vs. Irish Sea SSTs is also true. We are doing better because of the extra couple of degrees.

To_be_confirmed, I think you have a good point about the lake district, it has been visible today. But the IOM shadow itself has also been visible, so you can't discount it's influence either.

Basically we're all right and there's a combination of all effects at play today. It's been a very interesting couple of says radar watching I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

We have the graupel sticking,cars & roads turning white :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Mech1 wrote: »
    just incase im jinxing it by putting out the "big optimistic ruler" Snowcam Knocklyon D16 is gonna stay "birdfeeder Cam" tonight, but still worth a look.

That's it then. I'm gonna call it a night :P

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Cabinteely is a whiteout 2mins up the road and all I have in Blackrock is a dusting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Mech1 wrote: »

Nice big flakes coming down there Mech

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Cabinteely is a whiteout 2mins up the road and all I have in Blackrock is a dusting

Nothing falling in Cabinteely at the moment :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That doesn't change anything in what I said though. The Irish sea is helping shower formation indeed, that's also clear on the radar. Look at what I said, it's the relative effect of the Irish Sea and the Isle of Man compared to convection over land and moisture picked up over the North Sea. I have been looking at radar shots from December 2010, they look quite different to now. Especially how well the showers can pass over Britain this time around. The Lake District is a far more formidable barrier than some island with a few puny hills surrounded by sea :D

Another way to tell is that any showers which come from Britain that hit the Isle of Man would be depositing lots of snow from orographic lift and would also be weakened immediately afterwards. This is basically not the case, if anything the opposite is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

Deank wrote: »
    Nice big flakes coming down there Mech

Heavy graupel and snow in Dublin 15 now!! Melting down..white out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

radar looks good for wexford

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement