Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

As you do :)

Lovely sun shine here. Bit cool in the shade though.

Might head out for a walk on the strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

The GFS is trying to change the pattern at the moment, though the other models are not as keen fro the change yet!
    People are still identifying with the cold regime and there's still much scepticism about any warmth, but actually the consensus is that everyone's had enough of winter and would like some spring warmth now. Signals are strong for high pressure though and if this repositions over us we will finally get spring!!!! Hopefully! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    -3.5 here at the moment.
    It was -6 in Castlederg last night :eek:

Anyone catch the rte news? Worth a watch on the player for the piece about Belfast zoo being closed because of the snow, still loads of snow lying there unbelievable.
    http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10126819/ Link especially for all those who said snow cant last long at this time of year.. :p

Very impressive, alright.
    Do you remember blackbriar telling the snow it can feck off by March back in February. It seems obvious to me this cold regime was mother nature's way of teaching him a lesson for his insolence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Is the military road up to Sally gap clear of snow now? Looking to take the camera out but I don't have a jeep so not looking to spend the night up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Solyad wrote: »
    Is the military road up to Sally gap clear of snow now? Looking to take the camera out but I don't have a jeep so not looking to spend the night up there!

From AA Roadwatch......
    Gardai and Mountain Rescue are asking motorists to stay away from the Sally Gap as it is still impassable due to snow. The Wicklow Gap is passable with care.

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx#

• Advertisement

westdub wrote: »

Thanks very much (never thought to check AA!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Solyad wrote: »
    Thanks very much (never thought to check AA!)
    The two mountain rescues have also been putting out warnings. It appears some of those getting stuck have done so trying to turn around - they've driven as far as far as they dare, then gone into ditches turning/ parking up.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The two mountain rescues have also been putting out warnings. It appears some of those getting stuck have done so trying to turn around - they've driven as far as far as they dare, then gone into ditches turning/ parking up.

That makes sense, I was thinking that, even if you went for a look see, the road is so narrow, you could get stuck trying to turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

When you look outside and feel the sun through the window, it looks and feels lovely. Once you get out though it makes your ears ring. 7c here, but heaven knows what that wind chill is?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

snaps wrote: »
    When you look outside and feel the sun through the window, it looks and feels lovely. Once you get out though it makes your ears ring. 7c here, but heaven knows what that wind chill is?

7c - 30KMP wind = wind chill 2.66c

7c - 40KMP wind = wind chill 1.96c

7c - 50KMP wind = wind chill 1.4c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

7c - 30KMP wind = wind chill 2.66c

7c - 40KMP wind = wind chill 1.96c

7c - 50KMP wind = wind chill 1.4c

Thanks for that Jerry I've always wondered how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thanks for that Jerry I've always wondered how it works

Dewpoints are well below zero too which adds bite to the windchill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Why the hell did our ancestors have to move so far north? When they met the freezing temps surely they should just have just stayed where they were :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Why the hell did our ancestors have to move so far north? When they met the freezing temps surely they should just have just stayed where they were :mad::mad:

They probably had summers back then in the olden times :pac::pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Dewpoints are well below zero too which adds bite to the windchill

I Dont think it adds to wind chill. Thats heat index i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Real feel -3.4 here at the moment, weather station is reading dew points of -6.6 but it's not mounted properly so I'm pretty sure those values are wrong. Actual temp is -0.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The bigger the difference between air temp and dew point = the lower the humdity and higher the evapouration rate. This makes the air feel colder.

Nice band of cold rain heading NE from the South West now. into Munster and Connaught now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

On and off light snow here in Murrisk for the last while. Decent breeze as well. It's a white Easter!!

Ive lost the connemara mountains now in the the thick cloud. I would say they will have a covering on them soon. Infact I can see mount Gable is getting a white top hat now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Surprised to see the front reach East Waterford. Rain very close according to the radar.

Surprised to see the front reach East Waterford. Rain very close according to the radar.

it hasn't broke past the Galway mountains here, temp though gone up to 8c. Very windy too. That front will make Dublin I would suspect. Dublin needs the rain to ease water shortages

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

it hasn't broke past the Galway mountains here, temp though gone up to 8c. Very windy too. That front will make Dublin I would suspect. Dublin needs the rain to ease water shortages

From what I've read there isn't a shortage of untreated water, it's a reduction in treatment due to an algae present that is causing the shortage. Thats what I gathered from the reports anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That perception crossing the country on the radar i would not be surprised if us in the east get a bit of snow from it,if it reache's. temp here is 3.5c and a due point of -3c both have continued to drop during the morning

ZX7R wrote: »
    That perception crossing the country on the radar i would not be surprised if us in the east get a bit of snow from it,if it reache's. temp here is 3.5c and a due point of -3c both have continued to drop during the morning

it was the same here until it arrived. Temps will rise with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

it was the same here until it arrived. Temps will rise with it
    might get something on the leading edge, been cloudy hear all morning ,i would have expected temp and due point to rise rather than drop where i am

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Rain-Sleet in Johnstown, Kilkenny County at the moment with wet snow in the heavier bursts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Light rain/drizzle in Murrisk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Snow bucketing down here in Tipp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

ZX7R wrote: »
    Off topic but auto spelling on phones or tablets should be turned off.
    It makes a muck of posts turning precipitation into perception and dew point into due point in yours for example.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement