Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

MT's forecast....

TODAY ... After a very cold start in some inland locations (-5 C has been reported) and possibly some ice and freezing fog early on, the day should improve gradually to partly cloudy or even sunny skies, with moderate east winds developing (30-50 km/hr) and afternoon highs 6-10 C mildest near the Atlantic coasts. Very low relative humidity in many areas this afternoon with the possibility of one or two fires and resultant smoke plumes that would generally drift westward at low altitudes as the air is quite stable. There could also be widely separated and probably brief hail or snow showers in some parts of the east in weak streamers that could form mainly between Meath and Wicklow.

:D:D:D

447B6AE5AACF403A958CF565A7F3DA0B-0000345144-0003210591-00800L-4FAB7F86B5F84B698B49D7E9D06F1F76.bmp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Larbre34 wrote: »
    That MT Cranium is some man for one man, I scoffed a bit at his warning of brush fires this morning. Not in this cold I thought! :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/homeowners-warned-as-gorse-blazes-break-out-29170445.html[/QUOTE]

Vegetation is indeed tinder dry in the Uplands. I was on the hills above Hollywood Wicklow yesterday and if I dropped a match it would have been like an Aussie wildfire. Very dangerous conditions over next few days for sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

The ground in the mountains sure is dry, once it isnt covered in snow though.
    Still plenty of snow (more like ice) higher up in wicklow.

Kippure on sunday.
    247802.jpg

8 foot high drifts over a fence at the top.
    247805.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The ground in the mountains sure is dry, once it isnt covered in snow though.
    Still plenty of snow (more like ice) higher up in wicklow.

Kippure on sunday.
    now I know why the mountains appear to shine like silver when I look at them, the thawing by day and the freezing at night has turned the surface very icy as the shine on the Kippure photo shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I think I read somewhere that Gorse and some other seed heads from shrubs can self ignite.
    Some chemical reaction happens when its dry and very sunny,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Tried to get to Sally Gap this evening from Dublin side of the mountains...road is mostly dry tarmac up to a point - but then the remaining drifts take over... see 'Military Road' pic... managed to get through that one without too much bother in a 4x4 as the tire tracks are already there... a bit further up though there's a drift covering the road... must be 50-70cm deep in places - can't see the road, ditches, no tracks made on it..etc.. the whole thing looked like the slope of the mountain.. and I didn't try to figure out where the road was... One chap in his brand new Landrover Disco did though.. and totally misjudged where the road was, spent about an hour trying to help him out of the ditch but then realised we were literally trying to dig him out of a hole... not smart... I did manage to tow a couple of stuck cars though with my Canyonero :pac: .... so yeh.. Military Road is still impassable in places!

247865.jpg

247866.jpg

247867.jpg

247868.jpg

247869.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Getting a dribble of central heating oil delivered today so for the first time since the 31st January I'll be able to switch on the heating. Knowing fate we can expect a massive heatwave now and I'll be raging I didn't sink my €200 into sun screen futures. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Nice to see the Sun and a little warmth but damm is this weather boring..come on with heat induced convective April showers already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

notnumber wrote: »
    Nice to see the Sun and a little warmth but damm is this weather boring..come on with heat induced convective April showers already.

seriously? You want rain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Heroditas

seriously? You want rain

I was thinking the same thing myself. For the first time in about 3 months, the back garden isn't a squishy bog. I'd like it to stay that way for a bit longer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Snowmaker wrote: »
    I did manage to tow a couple of stuck cars though with my Canyonero :pac: .... so yeh.. Military Road is still impassable in places!

Great pics Snowmaker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

seriously? You want rain

Not rain in particular but some nice CB clouds and a few sparks would liven things up around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Hot April sun with convection bubbling up around noon followed by some fireworks in the evening... The weather I long for now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cant beleive finner measured -11 last night when my station only measure -0.9

i'm only about 25km up the road (but higher up)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

I think the lowest reading at Finner was -2 last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

talkabout wrote: »
    I think the lowest reading at Finner was -2 last night.

It was the ground temperature reached -11. Always much lower than the air temp (-2)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

seriously? You want rain

I would be well happy if we did not see another drop of rain till next October. We get far too much of the stuff in this country. (the exception being the odd summer thunderstorm would be nice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

I wonder how Spain and Portugal are coping with all our weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

I wonder how Spain and Portugal are coping with all our weather?

Was in Portugal over the weekend - it was like an Irish summer.. sun, rain, sun, rain... rainy day.. sunny day... sun in the morning, no rain forecast, then starts raining after lunch.. about 16-19 degrees... big rain at times, misty rain at other times.. locals were apologising for the lack of good weather.. and me walking around in t-shirt & shorts :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

cant beleive finner measured -11 last night when my station only measure -0.9

i'm only about 25km up the road (but higher up)

Finner air minimum this morning was -2.8. Impressive ground temp alright!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

My weather station recorded -5.7 last night. Castlederg recored -5.4. I wonder what my ground temp would have been in Stranorlar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Weathering wrote: »
    My weather station recorded -5.7 last night. Castlederg recored -5.4. I wonder what my ground temp would have been in Stranorlar

My weather station recorded -6.7 on Tuesday night, its not mounted properly yet just planted in the back garden, real feel was down at about -8, back tap frozen in April is a very rare event

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thanks didnt realise they were talking about ground temperature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

This Guy had to follow Tom Cruise around here...
    VKvCbTP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Its feckin snowing outside.

Quite heavily too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Heavy snow showers in wicklow also

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Only a bit of sleet this morning

Newcastle Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Was shleet here too

Another very cold night out there inland and in the west.

First few days of April would have very low means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Overnight low of -6.3c here with -10.2c on the grass.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement