Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The front Thursday/Friday is trending further south, again on the 18z. At this rate NI is involved and under threat of severe weather and heavy snow, infact the front turns back to snow for all the country before it dies away.

People look at the upper charts forget the -5c 850 line in this instance focus on the 0c isothern at 850.

Another 50-100mile further south and Dublin is in the firing line for a severe blizzard Thursday/Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Light snow here atm. 0.4c, dp -1.8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Snowmaker wrote: »
    ...and 'top-side' ... along Military Road (approx 500m up)

Next time... bring me! ha:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

GFS clearly going down the ECM route on tonight's run, big changes compared to 12z run. Could be very disruptive for NI. Funny thing is, the band probably won't even reach most parts of England, it just stalls over us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The front Thursday/Friday is trending further south, again on the 18z. At this rate NI is involved and under threat of severe weather and heavy snow, infact the front turns back to snow for all the country before it dies away.

People look at the upper charts forget the -5c 850 line in this instance focus on the 0c isothern at 850.

Another 50-100mile further south and Dublin is in the firing line for a severe blizzard Thursday/Friday

I also think further trends South are going to happen. This one isn't a total lost cause yet IMO, especially for the North who could see a whopping snowstorm!

0z suite will be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Next time... bring me! ha:rolleyes:

I was actually going to ask if anyone wanted to come. Was up there by myself today. Well, I eventually found two Lithuanian lads who involuntarily went off-road in their BMW (car)... into the bog.. took a bit of heavy towing to drag the out - pretty much wrote their car off.. (the crash, not me). They ended up about 1m below road-level on the way from Sally Gap to Glendalough... fun day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I just wet myself. Remember in Jan the met office had a rain warning for NI and a amber snowing for N.England. N.England snow was dropped and NI changed to snow. Twice in one season?? Yes please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well the gfs has done an almighty backtrack this evening and decided the ECM and UKMO had the right idea. The gfs has performed well all Winter but seems to have called this wrong and is now following the leader (ECM).
    It looks like GP's Winter forecast is bearing fruit, 2 months late......

I'd keep an eye out for those showers E/SE of Dublin/Wicklow, intensity really picking up could be some heavy hail if they make landfall

Just had a look over the GFS there. A 50 mile movement southwest brings Dublin into 0c or below Dewpoints.

Somewhere in Wales or NI could get absolute bucket loads of snow. Were talking ~ 50mm of water, so potentially 50cm of sneachta!

• Advertisement

patneve2 wrote: »
    I'd keep an eye out for those showers E/SE of Dublin/Wicklow, intensity really picking up could be some heavy hail if they make landfall

Yep one beefy one heading into Louth area and another primed for south Dublin.

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Why oh why did this have to happen so late in the season. :(
    that's always the way it is in this country!
    I remember it was 26c on September 28 or 29 a couple of years ago - the highest temp of the summer imby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

that's always the way it is in this country!
    I remember it was 26c on September 28 or 29 a couple of years ago - the highest temp of the summer imby.

That was 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

Thunder snow Enroute. Temp +1, thunder and lightening and a nice squall line developing off the coast. Interesting hour ahead.

tonight is more interesting than I thought, very nice precipitation intensities in the Irish sea. Sky has cleared here and temps dropping nicely, 2.1 with a nice light offshore wind

We need to the offshore wind to stay, otherwise we got not much chance, but precip intensity looks good, and temps are holding reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

patneve2 wrote: »
    tonight is more interesting than I thought, very nice precipitation intensities in the Irish sea. Sky has cleared here and temps dropping nicely, 2.1 with a nice light offshore wind

Is that an easterly wind or westerly ?
    I was in Lahinch earlier and the wind was easterly.
    An easterly is offshore in the West coast and westerly is offshore on the East coast...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Geomy wrote: »
    Is that an easterly wind or westerly ?
    I was in Lahinch earlier and the wind was easterly.
    An easterly is offshore in the West coast and westerly is offshore on the East coast...

We want a westerly to keep the temperatures as low as possible on the East coast. I'm not in Bray at the moment, but the weather station is reading flat calm/very light westerly and the temperature is dropping away very fast! Falling at about 1C per hour at the moment and down to 1.8C now.

EDIT: Scratch that, the wind has come up a bit and the temperature is beginning to rise again

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Dry here in Blackrock , maybe ill wake up to another surprise ninja snowfall in the morning !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

1.7C with DP at 1C. Temp dropping still.

Dan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Icy windscreen now. Temps must be in a good place. Clearish skies. Irish sea gettin busy. Clondalkin

Clondalkin in Dublin

sky now clouded over, temp up to 1.9 Hoping that showers will not lose intensity as they make their final approach

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

frozen slushy snow all over the place from today, roads cant be too good as they were wet.

Not sure i'll get much showers in next few hours, think im gonna be in the gap between the 2 big showers heading in from the Irish Sea, hopefully will wake up to a pleasant surprise by morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 snowtime

Rain and sleet in Skerries, too close to the sea!

1.4C with cloud moving in from the east. DP between 0.5C and 1C.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

Coastal "rain",Ye may have more luck if it moves inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

System off the Wicklow coast for the last hour has stalled and loosing its intensity.

2.0c here now with RH at 95%...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Shower activity that moved in to down a few hours back looks like it might make it all the way over to me in East Donegal. Surprised by this,from watching the bbc ni forecast they didn't show any showers making it across here until 7am onwards. Hopefully it happens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

18Z GFS DP's for midnight Thurs/Fri. Possible snow for the north only at the moment.

245689.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement