Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

showers falling as rain here, the temp is 2.1c, to be honest i thought it would be higher, just 1 to 1.5c away from snow temps and that is achievable in a heavy enough shower.

Just a heavy rain shower here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Light snow falling last 30 mins in Blessington

latest output retains snow risk for ulster late Thursday. front set to stall and move back south Saturday and turn back to snow.

13032200_2000.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Light snow falling last 30 mins in Blessington

Still snowing here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 snowtime

Heavy sleet in Skerries. If this shower gets inland a bit it will be snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Beautiful (frosty) sunny morning in the south
    /long may it continue (don't think so tho :o)

Believe that latest NAE has edged front further south again, i think parts of NI could be in for a SIG snow event. Could see level totals reaching 30cm in places.

appears i may have been wrong, quite a different set up of the low centre, precip delayed but no shift south of cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Believe that latest NAE has edged front further south again, i think parts of NI could be in for a SIG snow event. Could see level totals reaching 30cm in places.
    jammy gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

P1ssing rain here this morning and its freezing, temp still 0c

• Advertisement

:eek: we go from P1ssing rain to wet Snow inside 5mins, gotta love the irish weather

NAE giving idea of where the snow is likely to fall.

13032206_2006.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

:eek: we go from P1ssing rain to wet Snow inside 5mins, gotta love the irish weather

That would be most likely down to evaporative cooling in heavier showers.

Quick explanation.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/philip-eden/Absorbing-latent-heat.htm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A much more organised area/band of snow now than the last NAE run.

.....tilt in next run please! :)

Trending very wintry alright for the North.

This may become more serious than the initial warning from UKMO.

Yellow Alert of Rain
    21 Mar 2013, 22:00Issued at - 19 Mar 2013, 11:50Valid from - 21 Mar 2013, 22:00Valid to - 22 Mar 2013, 18:00

Persistent rain is expected to set in at the end of Thursday, lasting until later on Friday in many areas, and particularly heavy over hills exposed to the south and southeast.

Additionally, snow is likely for a time over higher ground, combined with strong winds to give difficult travel conditions. Some improvement seems likely late on Friday. The public should be aware that this may cause some localised issues with flooding.

We're just a little bit south of the Snow/Rain line, could be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

13032206_2006.gif
    Hope the snow can move more south....not far of north connacht there.

Redsunset wrote: »
    The public should be aware that this may cause some localised issues with flooding.
    Heres hoping the drainage work ive done at the side of the house since xmas works

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

What is a SIG event?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

justy182 wrote: »
    What is a SIG event?
    Significant ;-)

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

justy182 wrote: »
    What is a SIG event?

A sigma event is one of which is at least 3 standard deviations away from the mean. Or in plain english , a quite rare event for this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

I cannot see anything but rain and lots of it for 95% of the Republic at low levels.

For what it's worth, the GFS 6Z has moved quite significantly northward with this weekend precipitation, this greatly reduces the already marginal snow risk for most of Ireland. Good news for people in Northern England and Scotland who like March snow.

There's a flood risk more than anything, it's a similar situation to that busted snow flush in January that dumped acres of snow on high ground and brought an awful lot of rain at lower levels.

dopolahpec wrote: »
    I cannot see anything but rain and lots of it for 95% of the Republic at low levels.

At the moment Yes. It's just the North at risk for now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

06z GFS agrees with NAE but then snow risk moves south from early Saturday morning.

Perhaps a new thread if ye like for the rain and flood risk and keep this one to throw an eye on snow potential.

Perhaps a new thread if ye like for the rain and flood risk and keep this one to throw an eye on snow potential.

I dunno, it's the same event, it will either fall as snow or rain, and that's what is being discussed. I'm calling rain from Cavan south.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That could be good. I'm not sure where the Level 2 risk for snow is coming from now. There is going to be lots of rain, which will likely cause problems in various well-populated parts of the country by comparison.

Sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Dublin Airport 2c and me a few kms away 6c.
    How strange?
    edit: 6.4c to be exact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement