Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dublin Airport 2c and me a few kms away 6c.
    How strange?
    edit: 6.4c to be exact.

I'm 4.2c and am usually the mildest of the Dublin locations so maybe it's getting hit by some sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

God, the charts for next week look amazing, has anyone seen stuff like this at the end of March before ? where was it all winter... :(

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013032000/ECM0-144.GIF?20-12

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013032006/gfs-1-156.png?6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

dacogawa wrote: »
    God, the charts for next week look amazing, has anyone seen stuff like this at the end of March before ? where was it all winter... :(

Did we not have -12 uppers over the whole country a week or two ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

It looks like once the front clears south we will have these cold uppers but it will be pretty dry except for favoured East Coast streamer locations, i agree pity we did not get these proper cold uppers during winter time proper which would have given the cold a chance to get entrenched. Then we might have had frontal snow even all the way down here in the southwest.
    The drier weather weather will be welcome at least after the rain thats forecast for the next 72hrs

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Did we not have -12 uppers over the whole country a week or two ago?

Yeah we did, just pointing out that this is for March 26th with upper -8 over the whole country, was wondering if any of the 'weather elders' had seen it before.

Too right downwith, if we had of had these March charts in Dec/Jan it would be a totally different game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Yeah we did, just pointing out that this is for March 26th with upper -8 over the whole country, was wondering if any of the 'weather elders' had seen it before.

Too right downwith, if we had of had these March charts in Dec/Jan it would be a totally different game

Well, it will be interesting as a rarity of course. Here's March 22nd 2006

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/reana/2006/archives-2006-3-22-0-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Meanwhile another pasting likely for the Uk, big snow totals possibe if this outcome comes to pass

78_35.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

The Atlantic system forecast to push up in the next few days reminds me a lot of the one we got back in January. Expecting rain/sleet here with temps in the range of 2-5 degrees, a lot of snow possible up North

UK MetOffice for NI
    An area of rain and sleet moving from the south, will turn increasingly to snow as it does so. Towards some east coastal areas, heavy rain and sleet will perhaps remain more likely, with a risk of localised flooding, mainly in the east of Northern Ireland. However some heavy and persistent snowfall is likely to develop across many other areas, with in excess of 10 cm of snow in some inland parts, and perhaps much more than this over hills. Taking into account the strong to gale force winds, some atrocious conditions with drifting and blizzards are expected for many upland areas in particular, and it is increasingly likely that this warning will eventually be upgraded to Amber for parts of this region.

This is an update of the warning issued on Tuesday, pulling the focus of the snow further south and west, in line with latest thoughts. The public should be aware of the likelihood of a spell of difficult and disruptive wintry weather, with impacts on travel and, perhaps, on power supplies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

It had to come.
    Big upgrade of snow from UKMO for the North.

Issued at - 20 Mar 2013, 11:30

Valid from - 21 Mar 2013, 21:00Valid to - 23 Mar 2013, 18:00

An area of rain and sleet moving from the south, will turn increasingly to snow as it does so. Towards some east coastal areas, heavy rain and sleet will perhaps remain more likely, with a risk of localised flooding, mainly in the east of Northern Ireland. However some heavy and persistent snowfall is likely to develop across many other areas, with in excess of 10 cm of snow in some inland parts, and perhaps much more than this over hills.

Taking into account the strong to gale force winds, some atrocious conditions with drifting and blizzards are expected for many upland areas in particular, and it is increasingly likely that this warning will eventually be upgraded to Amber for parts of this region. This is an update of the warning issued on Tuesday, pulling the focus of the snow further south and west, in line with latest thoughts. The public should be aware of the likelihood of a spell of difficult and disruptive wintry weather, with impacts on travel and, perhaps, on power supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Met eireann has a warning out now...dont no how to share the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

eastmayo wrote: »
    Met eireann has a warning out now...dont no how to share the warning.

Weather Advisory for Ireland

Southeast winds will increase very strong during Thursday 21st March. Rain will be widespread with totals between 25 and 40 mm. The rain may be preceeded by falls of snow- especially over the midlands, north and northwest

The rain is very likely to turn to snow for many as it moves back south late Friday/Saturday

A very wet/windy and grim period for many, a winter wonderland for a lucky few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Still time for the rain to stall and pull South quicker as WC has said to perhaps surprise a few folk of lovely wintriness. Game on.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Great, must travel across the UK on Saturday, not looking forward to what is on the cards.

<RANT>Get lost Winter, you had your chance a few months back</RANT>

I have not been tracking the models for the last few weeks, so just wondering what sort of percentages of this wet/snow/wind event coming off? As in have models being overplaying events only for them to slip away as they have during Winter this year, (this is Spring right or have I the wrong calendar up :rolleyes:) to be replaced by a more tamer event nearer the hour.

Where is FI at in peoples views at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Petrol_Head

Travelling from Sligo through Leitrim, Fermanagh, Cavan, Monaghan and Louth to Meath late Friday night. I'll bring my camera! And chains ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Interesting forecast on rte1 there, Rain for the south looks a cert but i think as she got to north Leinster and midlands, she seemed a little bit uncertain whether it would mostly Rain or Snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

The rain is very likely to turn to snow for many as it moves back south late Friday/Saturday

As i am a virgin at all this weather lark;)

Does the snow have a chance for Dublin etc weathercheck?

My better half was saying she read that the weekend could see some snow out our way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Croagh Patrick today. More snow to sit on it in the next few days possibly.

245723.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Interesting forecast on rte1 there, Rain for the south looks a cert but i think as she got to north Leinster and midlands, she seemed a little bit uncertain whether it would mostly Rain or Snow.

And thats the best thing about it! Some will undoubtedly get Ninja Snow later tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pissing rain in Wexford then so:(

Rained last night with temps at 1c,it turned my car into an icepop.

The NAE appears not go have shifted things south but perhaps further north...

So this would be a negative for hope for snow in Ireland. Looking very wet and windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Woke up this morning south armagh to a compete whiteout as far as the eye can see probably 2/3 cm then a slight drizzle around 9 am took away some of it
    Getting sick of the cold now tbh it's just a nuisance at this time of year hopefully it warms up for the kids for the easter holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

The NAE appears not go have shifted things south but perhaps further north...

So this would be a negative for hope for snow in Ireland. Looking very wet and windy.

How is the extreme north looking?

Yes NAE has progressively shifted things north from the 0z, if only it had of being corrected the other direction!

Matt hugo just tweeted the latest NAE still showing Ulster under snow??

Weathering wrote: »
    Matt hugo just tweeted the latest NAE still showing Ulster under snow??

I would limit risk to far north Ulster.

13032206_2012.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

The NAE corrects north but its a very slight shift, most of NI still under snow according to it

• Advertisement

I would limit risk to far north Ulster.

13032206_2012.gif

But it shows almost all of Ulster in pink/purple therefore snow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement