Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A lot of snow for northern England

13032212_2012.gif

GFS quite similar to NAE maybe a bit further south. Precip intensity is noticeable.

I suspect some parts of north England are going to see a huge snow-fall. One for the news headlines. Still 48hrs away so expect some small changes perhaps 20-50mile changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

The 12z GFS has the low centre more intense, down to 965 mb by Friday lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

Folks I have actually changed my forecast for tonights release 3 times already today. Its to include the next 72 Hours and loose evolution of next weeks colder outlook. First time I have ever reworked a forecast 3 times before 1600hrs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Any idea what time the winds will start getting up on the east coast, specifically Wicklow, tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

These are some charts currently being shown. If this was mid January, the country would be in meltdown. Anyway, at what stage does the cold easterly be replaced by the hot easterly? Cant come too soon....

UKM and GFS keeps thing exceptionally cold next week, with snow flurries for east coast and severe night frosts.

Incredible synoptics, i just hope it can see out March now and see if we can get some record broken!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah eye-popping setups. UK Met are giving five days of dangerous cold conditions from the English midlands northwards from tomorrow morning.

What evolution do we need to see to bring Ulster and Leinster into play over the next few days?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah eye-popping setups. UK Met are giving five days of dangerous cold conditions from the English midlands northwards from tomorrow morning.

What evolution do we need to see to bring Ulster and Leinster into play over the next few days?

Well we need the front to stall around 150km miles further south to bring the greater Dublin area into play. 100km for Louth/Meath.

Nonetheless the easterly is gonna to pull back south through Saturday/Sunday and next week will see bitter easterly winds and snow flurries for the east with some extremely cold nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

arctictree wrote: »
    These are some charts currently being shown. If this was mid January, the country would be in meltdown. Anyway, at what stage does the cold easterly be replaced by the hot easterly? Cant come too soon....

I dont think it would be a great set up for sustained heat in the summer, ideally we'll want the jet stream to be north of us not south. Sink the Scandi high then have a lovely south eaterly flow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

ECM slightly different but still very good
    In fact better for the South with a Southeasterly perhaps helping ppn on the South coast.
    Remaining very cold with no sign of Spring as of yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Well we need the front to stall around 150km miles further south to bring the greater Dublin area into play. 100km for Louth/Meath.

Nonetheless the easterly is gonna to pull back south through Saturday/Sunday and next week will see bitter easterly winds and snow flurries for the east with some extremely cold nights.

How extreme are we talking here? -10?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Next week.........ECM............Astounding!!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Any charts ya can stick up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Amazing set of charts alright, locked into the cold.

More ridiculous charts tonight. ECM is just incredible. Deep cold embedded over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

It snowed all day here in Aberdeen, temp has dropped big time in the last 2 hours, it was to stop snowing today but it never happened, they are saying a lot of snow Friday evening right through to Sunday morning, and next week they are saying temps of -10 -12,

not looking forward to it as I have to clear a half mile drive way every time it happens.

Just wondering is it on the way to you guys.

keith16 wrote: »
    How extreme are we talking here? -10?

It's late March, so with the shorter nights the temperatures won't have as long to dip, but i reckon we will see a few -8c at night. Very low dewpoints with snowfall. And very cold days with a distinct windchill. Maxima from 2c in the east to 5c in the southwest. Average maxima.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

Usually when schools close for easter there is a mini-heatwave,now the charts are predicting cold!! I love snow but not at the end of March/April.What a crazy country this is for weather

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I remember camping on top of Benevnagh Mountain in Derry around the 14th of April 2010 and I was chilling my beer in snow!

Also 31st March 2010 saw up to 300 motorists get stranded on the Glenshane Pass due to blizzard conditions. Same night, I was on the Coleraine Mountain (Benevangh) and driving through snow drifts that where taller than my car!

I'm extremely excited for this coming weekend, I shall be wherever the snow is!!

• Advertisement

Keith96 wrote: »
    Usually when schools close for easter there is a mini-heatwave,now the charts are predicting cold!! I love snow but not at the end of March/April.What a crazy country this is for weather

The tide is turning, it has been doing so for the last 15-20 years, I reckon (and I know my reckoning might be ****znell) the weather is not for turning and will only get worse over the next few years, to many records broken in a short space of time,

I think last year was the driest March since records began, (this might only be in Aberdeen I am not to sure), and it now looks like being the coldest March since records began.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

The equinox is today. The northern hemisphere is moving closer to the Sun.

Clocks go back on the 31st, too.

I doubt this high pressure will stick around for the Summer.

The equinox is today. The northern hemisphere is moving closer to the Sun.

Clocks go back on the 31st, too.

I doubt this high pressure will stick around for the Summer.

Is that earlier than normal, (as in how often does the equinox happen late),

I have been cutting down trees this week and was very surprised with the color of the inner rings which were black to brown, the trees would be 30-40 years old but they showed signs of major weather change, (for a plant that grows so slow),

while the outer rings seem to show even weather patterns.

As per SnowKing on NW.

ECM for front Saturday AM

snowecmforecast.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

As per SnowKing on NW.

ECM for front Saturday AM

snowecmforecast.png

Looks like a dog or cat jumping on top of a person!

Looks like a dog or cat jumping on top of a person!

Humpback whale.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

i think 90% plus of the country will be hit with heavy rain and some ( east and south) will get some flooding.......if the models stay the same we could have more of an issue saturday if and when the front pushes back south turning to snow as i think more of the country could have an impact from this event....interesting times ahead:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

One thing to bear in mind is that, statistically*, we get more white Easters than white Christmases, so cold and snow at this time of the year is not something phenomenal.

* I don't think I made that up, but that's what I have been led to believe in the past! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

why is it when heavy rain and possible flooding is on the way, the night before has a clear moonlit sky, has seemed to be the case this winter, cos we've had flooding problems and i remember the nights before were clear :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

do we know how high the risk of flooding is for different parts of the country....what mm prec are we looking at over the next 48hrs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement