Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

howlinwolf wrote: »
    do we know how high the risk of flooding is for different parts of the country....what mm prec are we looking at over the next 48hrs

This is precipitation totals, use next button on bottom left hand side.

http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebchartsgfsopuktotprecip.php

NAE 48hr here, looks like East, South East to get the highest totals

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=rsum&HH=48&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=1&PERIOD=&WMO=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

More ridiculous charts tonight. ECM is just incredible. Deep cold embedded over Ireland.

Can you send me a link to view these ECMs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Having a wee look at the netweather.tv forums there across the water. Beginning to get fractious with the usual IMBY stuff about where the snowline will be. North of England looks in line for ridiculous amounts of snow but I can't see it all accumulating. I believe in many places it will melt as fast as it sticks, it is going to be proper messy, disappointing a lot of people who are picturing something a lot cleaner than what will actually transpire. Mud, slush, wind, landslides, floods....snow melt everywhere. Narnia? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Having a wee look at the netweather.tv forums there across the water. Beginning to get fractious with the usual IMBY stuff about where the snowline will be. North of England looks in line for ridiculous amounts of snow but I can't see it all accumulating. I believe in many places it will melt as fast as it sticks, it is going to be proper messy, disappointing a lot of people who are picturing something a lot cleaner than what will actually transpire. Mud, slush, wind, landslides, floods....snow melt everywhere. Narnia? I think not.

This reads well, the only thing that will change it is low temps and that is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Southern and Eastern areas set for serious amounts of prectation with flooding likely in places, a brutal period of weather in driving easterly winds/gales.

Potential for severe snowfall over parts of NI with blizzards.

13032218_2_2018.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

:eek: i hope we dont get them rain totals in the above chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

in SE winds like forecast, rainfall totals on those maps can be halved or more in places like Carlow and Kildare Counties! South Dublin County usually gets drowned in these situations !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I find the gfs ppn charts to be very accurate and they are not showing anything too excessive. In fact the rain band seems to move North quite quickly
    I think the NAE has lost the plot this season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Quote from Net weather forum Posted 15 minutes ago
    The latest 18z NAE has resorted back similar to the 0z Run, it has got rid of all the northerly progress seen in the 6z and 12z.

'Forecaster's nightmare'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

the cold spell is still on :D brief but heavy hail shower here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I find the gfs ppn charts to be very accurate and they are not showing anything too excessive. In fact the rain band seems to move North quite quickly
    I think the NAE has lost the plot this season

I hope your right.

18z bringing back in the colder air a tad faster on Sunday
    Could be a good run coming up!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

for some reason i get the feeling that the charts is overplaying the snowrisk for Northern Ireland and perhaps some central and south-eastern parts of the Uk, I think mainly the mountains, north of england and most of Scotland will get lying snow. Should be a crazy amount of snow in wicklow mountains as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

i feel once this somewhat milder air pushes in tomorrow we..as in ireland wont see the freezing cold establish itself over us again,cold maybe but not the freezing cold,the uk on the other hand could be in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

DOCARCH wrote: »
    One thing to bear in mind is that, statistically*, we get more white Easters than white Christmases, so cold and snow at this time of the year is not something phenomenal.

* I don't think I made that up, but that's what I have been led to believe in the past! :P

Yes, this is absolutely true.

When talking about whether it will snow many people get obsessed with 'seasons' and months and think certain weather situations can only happen during certain months.

It's always good to stick with the facts and statistics though.

The average temperature around Xmas is 8 degrees (in Dublin at least). The average temperature come mid-March (when Easter often falls) is 10 degrees. Hardly much of a difference. So whether you call March winter, spring, or whatever other name you want to give it, snow is certainly feasible during the month.

However, the Irish sea is slightly colder in March than it is in December so you could argue that this balances out the slightly higher temperatures in March and makes snow during the month just as likely, if not more likely, than December.

howlinwolf wrote: »
    i feel once this somewhat milder air pushes in tomorrow we..as in ireland wont see the freezing cold establish itself over us again,cold maybe but not the freezing cold,the uk on the other hand could be in the freezer.

:confused: Have you cared to look at the charts or are you just posting something you made up in your head with no data to back it up?

Well a very cold 18z run for next week, though also quite dry
    Worth mentioning too that even with -10uppers we still get temps of 4-5C countrywide
    So whilst the uppers are exceptional for late March the actual weather experienced for ordinary joe soap may not be exceptional other than a cold day

Heights are starting to wane to our North from Wednesday on
    It's a trend that the ECM has also, so while next week looks very cold throughout signs of a pattern change in time for easter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Moderate hail/rain here at the moment. (D14)

Dan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Heights are starting to wane to our North from Wednesday on
    It's a trend that the ECM has also, so while next week looks very cold throughout signs of a pattern change in time for easter

7days away yet. FI in my opinion when we can't even nail the Northern extent of this low in T24-36 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

:confused: Have you cared to look at the charts or are you just posting something you made up in your head with no data to back it up?

i have checked the charts and as i said i think it will be cold but not freezing cold as in hovering around 0c ... certainly some cold nights but between 4 and 6/7c during the day......maybe im wrong but i dont find 4 to 7 incredibly cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Northern Ireland Weather just posted this on their facebook page..
    Just to Alert you all. That it is highly likely we will be upgrading our Warning tomorrow to AMBER and perhaps RED for some areas, as we could be in for a major snow event. Latest weather forecasting models indicate high amounts of snow possible for Northern Ireland. You are advised to keep frequently updated with weather forecasts and warnings. We will issue an update tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

IMO I think the extreme NE of NI and mountains will only get snow

Sleet for N Leinster and Ulster for a time

Temperatures 8 or 9 Munster

5 Leinster

6 or 7 Connacht

4 to 6 Ulster

except 2 to 3 NE Ulster

Wet and windy for most and then slightly colder next week

Nothing too serious considering the thunderstorms we will get in Summer

Northern Ireland Weather just posted this on their facebook page..

Exciting times for some ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Exciting times for some ;)

It will be haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looking at the 200 users online at the moment, that tells me the forecast right away!
    Ah I see Met uks forecast warning 3 consecutive days of snow warnings for NI. :eek:
    Their warnings are fun to look at if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Met office currently showing a yellow wanrning for NI for thurs/fri/sat. Yellow banner covers all the boarder areas as well, including the whole of donegal, north sligo, leitrim, and cavan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement