Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

dopolahpec wrote: »
    though if even that fell it would be front page Irish Times.

Not to mention a seperate snow event thread!
    Surely there should be one for this now.
    Ah I dunno about Donegal going on previous experiences this winter I think we will get what we got all winter > dam all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Pangea wrote: »
    Not to mention a seperate snow event thread!
    Surely there should be one for this now.
    Ah I dunno about Donegal going on previous experiences this winter I think we will get what we got all winter > dam all.

No, I think this is the best chance of disruptive snow for Donegal in a long time. Perhaps not as intense as it will be in Derry/Tyrone/Antrim, but I think eastern Donegal in particular will see disruption. Again it will be transient and messy as it will be everywhere, temperatures aren't that low.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Has anybody got a link for the charts showing predicted DP's its the only thing i can't find a link for....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

aurora 527 wrote: »
    Has anybody got a link for the charts showing predicted DP's its the only thing i can't find a link for....

Friday 6pm Dew-points.(NAE)

13032218_2_2106.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Thank you Weathercheck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Morning. I've only just woken up and read M.T forecast and thought ah c.rap no snow and then i come in here and there is red warning talk..How can his F.C be so different to thoughts in here based on latest charts and vice versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Weathering wrote: »
    Morning. I've only just woken up and read M.T forecast and thought ah c.rap no snow and then i come in here and there is red warning talk..How can his F.C be so different to thoughts in here based on latest charts and vice versa?

I was thinking his forecast might be based more towards Southern Ireland rather than Northern Ireland...

Well we need at 50km further undercut to bring northern Leinster into play, at such time distances it's a tough ask but surely not impossible.

I was thinking his forecast might be based more towards Southern Ireland rather than Northern Ireland...

No he includes all of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Weathering wrote: »

Did you actually read it or were you expecting 'Heavy snow at Weathering's house?'

ALERT for heavy rainfalls and strong winds later today into Friday, 30-50 mm rain in south and east, spot flooding likely, and strong E-SE winds gusting to 100 km/hr in exposed locations. ALERT for heavy wet snow in higher parts of east and north later today and Friday, some accumulations of 15-30 cm above 300m, lesser accumulations 150-300m in Ulster, mixing with rain in Leinster ... ADVANCE ALERT for significant cold and isolated heavy snowfalls Sunday to mid-week.

TODAY ... Periods of rain moving north and becoming heavy at times (20 to 40 mm possible in south during this daytime period, 15-30 mm north-central and east). Winds gradually increasing E-SE 50-80 km/hr by late in the day. Morning temperatures rather raw about 3-4 C and afternoon or evening highs 6-8 C except 4-6 C north. Rain may start as heavy wet snow and change to sleet on higher elevations of east and north, remaining heavy snow on hills.

TONIGHT will continue windy and wet with a further 20-30 mm of rain and spot flooding likely in poorly drained locations in south, central and east. Temperatures will be steady 3-5 C and winds could peak at 70-100 km/hr before easing slightly as winds veer ESE to SSE. Foggy especially over hills and in north, inland southeast. Some continued sleet or snow on highest elevations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

RT @metofficestorms: UK weather warnings will be updated later this morning. Amber warnings for both snow and rain likely to raised.
    Details

Amber or Red...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Sitting as I am on the SW fringes of forecast snow area I won'y hold my breath on this event. So many times this year its been a 'nearly' that herself just smiles now if I even mention prospect of snow.

Donegal Town probably has seen 1mm of snow this year. So... rain is gonna hit cold air and turn to snow etc but has the collision point been confirmed?

Will proximity to west coast be a determining factor?

When should I expect the first ppn and will it start as rain and turn to snow/sleet?

Larbre34 wrote: »

Did you actually read it or were you expecting 'Heavy snow at Weathering's house?'

ALERT for heavy rainfalls and strong winds later today into Friday, 30-50 mm rain in south and east, spot flooding likely, and strong E-SE winds gusting to 100 km/hr in exposed locations. ALERT for heavy wet snow in higher parts of east and north later today and Friday, some accumulations of 15-30 cm above 300m, lesser accumulations 150-300m in Ulster, mixing with rain in Leinster ... ADVANCE ALERT for significant cold and isolated heavy snowfalls Sunday to mid-week.

TODAY ... Periods of rain moving north and becoming heavy at times (20 to 40 mm possible in south during this daytime period, 15-30 mm north-central and east). Winds gradually increasing E-SE 50-80 km/hr by late in the day. Morning temperatures rather raw about 3-4 C and afternoon or evening highs 6-8 C except 4-6 C north. Rain may start as heavy wet snow and change to sleet on higher elevations of east and north, remaining heavy snow on hills.

TONIGHT will continue windy and wet with a further 20-30 mm of rain and spot flooding likely in poorly drained locations in south, central and east. Temperatures will be steady 3-5 C and winds could peak at 70-100 km/hr before easing slightly as winds veer ESE to SSE. Foggy especially over hills and in north, inland southeast. Some continued sleet or snow on highest elevations

Jez less of the atitude. You're right tho I was expecting M.T to give a FC for my house how dare he not.. Moving on,you kindly highlighted an altitude based event where as reading through here plus metoffice NI they don't seem to limit it to an altitude based event. I was confused at this hence the question I wasn't criticizing anyone I was simply curious. Please be a little more diplomatic in future when answering we don't want this to end up like the ramping thread

Haydn John Angove from Newport
    I will never forget January 1982, I was in the sixth form at school, and I can remember the lunch time weather forecast on the Thurday, it was michael fish who presented that forecast and stated that there would be a covering of snow for many southern parts of the country during Thursday evening into Friday morning. When I arrived home that Evening I heard the forecast again and it was for the worse, but southern counties boardering the english channel coasts would see the heaviest snowfall. I had a maths lesson that evening and the snow started at around 9.00pm and with easterly gales with temperaturs well below freeezing the snow was powder snow and it drifted in the strong easterly winds, within and hour the blizzard became fierce. The late weather forecast stated that the snow would clear by lunchtime on the friday. How wrong a forecast that was in fact the blizzard continued throughout the day and conditions became very severe , Newport where I live became cut off, the snow was getting worse and continued for the rest of the day and evening, by then where I live you could not see any cars in the street because the snow was so deep. Outside my parents home there was at 2 feet deep during friday evening with drifts well in access of that. The snow continued to fall throughout the night and when I woke up on the saturday morning I could not belive my eyes, drift in access of 15 feet covering the houses, cars were completly buried there must have been at least 3 to 4 feet of level snow. The snow eventually stoped at around 2.00pm on the Saturday.Main roads were cut off shopping was non existent the town of Newport looked like the Swiss Alps rather than a mild coastal town. Newport was cut off for many days everything came to a complete standstill. This was by far the worst snow fall that I have ever seen in Newport, Newport has never seen snow like it and 24 years on Newport has never seen snow like that since. I will never forget the Blizzard of January 1982 it snowed from 9.00 pm on the Thurday Evening and never stopped until 2.00 pm on the Saturday afternoon. Temperatures remained well below freezing for another 3 weeks so the snow never thawed, thankfully it never snowed again during the next 3 weeks. The snow fall was a classic weather situation, bitterly cold easterly winds which kept the day time temperatures at -3 to -6 and an atlantic depression that moved in the South West of England and has the mild air hit the bitterly cold air it produced heavy snow. I will never forget the snows of 1982 I doubt very much whether I will every see such snowfall in Newport again.
    Thu Jan 12 21:53:46 2006

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Even if I was in the path of this possible snowfall in Northern Ireland I wouldn't be expecting too much unless I was on higher ground (200m +). It is just not that cold!

It will be an epic slushy mess for sure yeah. But looking close to the NAE snow accumulation maps it is clear the heavy accumulations are in mountainous regions, the mournes the sperrins.
    Not true at all actually. The NAE maps clearly show the entire Belfast region at risk along with major urban regions as Lisburn, and Banbridge etc... It also clearly shows the major transport route under risk which is the A1 and the M1 from Newry to Belfast. This of course depends on the accuracy of those maps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

245860.png

....@AV-SHOCK-1-120070490831.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

justy182 wrote: »
    Not true at all actually. The NAE maps clearly show the entire Belfast region at risk along with major urban regions as Lisburn, and Banbridge etc... It also clearly shows the major transport route under risk which is the A1 and the M1 from Newry to Belfast. This of course depends on the accuracy of those maps!
    I disagree. The NAE maps have a habit of being a little over generous on precipitation in general and we all know what snowfall is. I really wouldn't get caught up in what the NAE says as there will be a disproportionate amount of snow above certain altitudes and from a certain distance towards the east coast.

If you take out the Northern Ireland map you have lying around, you'll see there's lots of high ground in the vicinity of Belfast though not really to the south. Those charts are approximations to the nearest 10 or 20 km (forget the number) and they can't pinpoint snowfall with accuracy to the nearest street address.

(Btw we don't know if anything is true or not until it actually happens. Pretty much every forecast this year erring on the side of rain or less snowy conditions has been correct, I'm minded to do the same!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Maybe said before earlier in thread ............. But what a difference with last years end of march :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

justy182 wrote: »

The actual difference between snow that falls and snow that accumulates will be huge in my estimation, apart from in the mountains. I would be shocked to see more than (a very generous guess) 8-10cm accumulate near sea level out of 60+mm equivalent ppn, as melting will be constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

Sure I know that. I was just addressing the fact that the post referred to NAE maps. I know they are not that accurate. Its all flat to the South of Belfast until you hit the Dromara Hills and the Mournes. I was looking at the NAE maps posted earlier this morning which clearly shows snowfall around the Lisburn and to the south of this such as Dromore and Banbridge. I was not commenting on how accurate they were, just on what they showed. I am out of my depth anyway to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Watching this thread with interest as I have a sister getting married in Co Armagh on Saturday. Could possibly be different from the white wedding
    she envisaged, but hopefully its 'snow' problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Given this thread is focused on the snow / rain (and boy is it raining here!) event over the next 48 hrs, and given this morning's ECM shows -8s over us from Sunday to Thursday inclusive next week, does that time period deserve its own cold weather watch thread? Happy to open same if there is concensus......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Will it snow in Coleraine today? I do miss our correspondent from that neck of the woods....

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

New thread please, this could be epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Dublin area should be very alert for heavy rain accumulations! This could be very similar to the Oct 2011 Floods, South Dublin especially!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Will it snow in Coleraine today? I do miss our correspondent from that neck of the woods....

He sure was entertaining, why did he leave in the end?

This was him in action
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76269616

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Blowing a hurricane here at the moment, bins and everything flung everywhere. 4c.

Pangea wrote: »
    Blowing a hurricane here at the moment, bins and everything flung everywhere. 4c.

Same here.. mad gusts... and it would cut you in two... brrrr

Just looking through a 2010 weather thread at Owen C's comments and I came across a poem I wrote... funny it still seems as apt 3 years on.

Originally Posted by irish1967 viewpost.gif
    The Ode of the Weather Thread

All around this great white Isle
    From Mizen to Malin Head
    All eyes are glued and watching
    This fantastic weather thread

The experts come to say their bit
    They come here in their dozens
    No one knows who they really are
    They could be your first cousins

Up north there's guys like Owen C
    In Coleraine he is snow bound