Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

Interesting temp pattern here in Wicklow. It was 4.9c at 10am and has slowly dropped to 3.6c and continues to drop. I was expecting the temp to rise here once the precip arrived. Snow reports from higher up in Knockananna already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Sleet here 2 miles inland from the Irish sea at the moment which is astounding at an air temp of 4.2c and a dp of 2.9c
    Snow line to the west is at 900ft in the south wicklow mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

dopolahpec wrote: »
    The actual difference between snow that falls and snow that accumulates will be huge in my estimation, apart from in the mountains. I would be shocked to see more than (a very generous guess) 8-10cm accumulate near sea level out of 60+mm equivalent ppn, as melting will be constant.

I awoke yesterday morning to exactly 8cm of lying snow. Out with rulers with the kids. :D
    Considering light sleet was forecast and it was lashing rain at 3am when I was up to bathoom I was shocked, suprised and delighted. It lay until near midday when the sun came out.

I should say as far as accumulations are concerned there are also anomalies. I have no idea if this is the right term or not....Justy182 mentioned the A1 corridor and the snow always falls and accumulates there. Despite it being lower lying than most of the surrounding area. Especially the 10 mile stretch from just south of Hillsborough to just south of Banbridge.
    I would say most of us on this forum know snow and temp and the difference in high and low ground but some areas just seem to defy the text books and do their own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

I agree. that corridor is a snow magnet no matter what. My wife travels it daily and there will be snow there and nowhere else. Snow ploughs have been on that route 3 times this year already. Awoke to a nice few cm's myself yesterday and about 1 mile south, not a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

irish1967 wrote: »
    Just looking through a 2010 weather thread at Owen C's comments and I came across a poem I wrote... funny it still seems as apt 3 years on.

Originally Posted by irish1967 viewpost.gif
    The Ode of the Weather Thread

citizen-kane-clapping.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Interesting temp pattern here in Wicklow. It was 4.9c at 10am and has slowly dropped to 3.6c and continues to drop. I was expecting the temp to rise here once the precip arrived. Snow reports from higher up in Knockananna already.

We had 6.9c in Waterford city at half 3 this morning, it had dropped to 5.1c by half 11. Small rise to 5.3c out now but feels like 0c with the wind chill.

15.4mm of rain so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tried (all winter) to resist an imby post, but could resist no more... are the mountains in the firing line tonight and tomorrow, and to what kind of levels? MT is mentioning 150m but that's in the wider Ulster and East Forecast. Or is it just the front and back edges of the front that'll give the chance snow to populated areas of the wicklow mountains?

Edit - nowcast from home is "kind of hail" not rain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

6.5c in Sligo very windy lots of flooding in south and snow in eastern ni only

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

BOOM!
    amber warning for snow
    Eastern Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

pauldry wrote: »
    6.5c in Sligo very windy lots of flooding in south and snow in eastern ni only

Ehhhh , id be willing to put a wager on that one :P

10cms broadly on inland areas of the North. Some places 20cms +

Same in the wicklow mountains with possible dangerous conditions in the Sally Gap region.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Tried (all winter) to resist an imby post, but could resist no more... are the mountains in the firing line tonight and tomorrow, and to what kind of levels? MT is mentioning 150m but that's in the wider Ulster and East Forecast. Or is it just the front and back edges of the front that'll give the chance snow to populated areas of the wicklow mountains?
    Just my opinion,but it's already snowing in wicklow down to 600ft asl which would include populated areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

Wow . that warning is for quite a swathe of eastern NI and including some N Leinster areas. Im sure it will be heaviest on higher ground but should also affect low lying areas too it seems. I mentioned it to my M in law this morning and she looked at me as if I had finally lost it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack2a.gif

we're just going to have to be patient and wait until that Arctic air (via Scandinavia) digs in, by then the front has unfortunately weakened as it moves south but it could pep up some Irish Sea showers if we're lucky?

Northern Ireland Weather just released this.

386441_436358159777854_822439470_n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I think I'm just about under that red. Would be a shame if my bus to work didn't make it over the Glenshane tomorrow :pac:

We're travelling up to the Glenshane tomorrow after 5pm for a night of snow fun! Can't bloody wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

I sort of hoped I would make it out of work (I finish at 4pm) before that rain arrived today, but I see the first drops starting to fall now (Dublin 3)...anyone more up on this able to tell me whether this frontal system is arriving before/after/on schedule as modelled by NAE?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

We're travelling up to the Glenshane tomorrow after 5pm for a night of snow fun! Can't bloody wait!

Haha nice. I'm back in Fungiven by half 6 after work but don't drive so hopefully the snow comes to meeeee.

Anyone interested in watching rain turn to snow in UK jurisdictions (mostly anyway). Here's a link.

www.meteoradar.co.uk/?type=rain-snow-sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

We had 6.9c in Waterford city at half 3 this morning, it had dropped to 5.1c by half 11. Small rise to 5.3c out now but feels like 0c with the wind chill.

15.4mm of rain so far.

Heavy rain in the last hour, almost at an inch now. 24.8 mm :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

dopolahpec wrote: »
    I sort of hoped I would make it out of work (I finish at 4pm) before that rain arrived today, but I see the first drops starting to fall now (Dublin 3)...anyone more up on this able to tell me whether this frontal system is arriving before/after/on schedule as modelled by NAE?

Started raining here in Murrisk (near Westport) around 1pm.

Northern Ireland Weather just released this.

386441_436358159777854_822439470_n.png

When were the red warnings issued? I was on their site and can only see yellow and amber?

50 minutes ago..

https://www.facebook.com/northernirelandweather

Also @bbcweather has been taken over...

5378_10152209476571494_1368406663_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Heavy Rain with strong winds in D14 for last while. Rain is sleety in heavier bursts. Temp dropping fast. Down 0.5c in 20 mins. Now at 4.5C with DP at -1C.

This will be an epic blizzard on high ground or in the north!

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rain is just starting here now

Temps seem to be falling too, was expecting a rise

3.9c,
    DP @ 1.7c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

pad199207 wrote: »
    Rain is just starting here now

Temps seem to be falling too, was expecting a rise

3.9c,
    DP @ 1.7c

Not much hope of us seeing snow in N/E Kildare this time around though Pad.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Latest report from home is sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Deank wrote: »
    Not much hope of seeing snow in N/E Kildare this time around though Pad.:(
    Yeah agree there, however I would think the Eastern Hills ie Cromwellstown Hill and Kilteel should see some of the white stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yeah agree there, however I would think the Eastern Hills ie Cromwellstown Hill and Kilteel should see some of the white stuff!

All we need is the cold a bit further south and we'd be in blizzard land, not likely though.

• Advertisement

Just back from croghan on the wicklow wexFord border,whiteout conditions up at 1500ft asl.
    Will post pic shortly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement