Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

pad199207 wrote: »
    Rain is just starting here now

Temps seem to be falling too, was expecting a rise

3.9c,
    DP @ 1.7c

Expect a lot more of it,been lashing down here in Wexford all day.If it was falling as snow,it'd be epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Just back from Croghan on the wicklow we xFord border.This pic was taken about 5 minutes drive above the snow line,which was at about 1100 ft
    Snowing heavily at about 1500fty3yvyje3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Croagh Patrick today. More snow to sit on it in the next few days possibly.

Mr Cumulonimbus, I would appreciate it if you could post a pic of the reek tomorrow (Friday). Tempted to climb it at weekend if it's white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Whitebriar, nice pic !! grey sky is far more tolerable with a white snow base below :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

whitebriar wrote: »
    Just back from Croghan on the wicklow we xFord border.This pic was taken about 5 minutes drive above the snow line,which was at about 1100 ft
    Snowing heavily at about 1500ft

Damn, I took the wrong afternoon off work to go snow driving!

Light drizzle in Malahide at the moment, blustery, chilly... meh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

BBC Weather twitter page has been hacked lol

https://twitter.com/bbcweather

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Temp droped from 5.3 to 4.6 in last hour...dew point 2..rain or sleet not far away now...near knock airport.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

3.3c DP 2.3c atm. Sleety/icy rain here (icy splodes on the car windscreen). 5.0mm so far today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

DOCARCH wrote: »
    3.3c DP 2.3c atm. Sleety/icy rain here (icy splodes on the car windscreen). 5.0mm so far today.

Same here in Carlow. Wind has picked up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

dopolahpec wrote: »

I think someone mentioned earlier about that total potentially equalling the Oct 2011 event. It would, but at a rate of <2mm/nr as opposed to 20mm/hr which caused the intense river flooding, I dont think Dublin has much to worry about except surface water and windchill with a cold rain - until Saturday night anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nearly 11°C in Castlebar yesterday, now persistent gales and rain, temperature dropping quite fast now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

NAE pushes things about 20/30miles north. So any dream of massive snow for Dublin is now at 0.05%!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Petrol_Head

Dry here in Sligo town. Winds picked up A LOT in the past hour.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think someone mentioned earlier about that total potentially equalling the Oct 2011 event. It would, but at a rate of <2mm/nr as opposed to 20mm/hr which caused the intense river flooding, I dont think Dublin has much to worry about except surface water and windchill with a cold rain - until Saturday night anyway

In addition, no leaves to deal with at this time of the year (leaves that block drains).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

dopolahpec wrote: »

Already wettest day of the year so far in Waterford, 37mm at the moment! Anywhere getting this as snow is going to be seriously plastered if ground is high enough for it to stick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Hard to follow this, I live in County Antrim, do I need to get whisky and logs in or will this come to nothing as per usual?

The small wave into the English channel Friday afternoon is nice to see, this could enable the cold air to advect back west into the back of the front and stall the front on the Irish east coast.

I'd like to see it developed on future runs :)

13032303_2112.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

windy day here, No real rain as such. was 8c earlier but noticed its 5.2c now.

Front stalls and turns to snow Saturday.

We need this to trend.. we want the feature to the south of England ~30hrs to develop further :)

13032312_2112.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Already wettest day of the year so far in Waterford, 37mm at the moment! Anywhere getting this as snow is going to be seriously plastered if ground is high enough for it to stick.

I had to amend those totals Jerry as they didn't match with my other two rain gauges which i trust more in these conditions. Real total at 3pm was 13.4mm.

Really bad conditions though in Waterford City with a max gust of 71km/h recorded at my station and 80km/h at the Airport.

Temps falling steadily over past hour

http://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/default.asp?RegionId=0

Here Temp 4.4c/Dew 2.2c

Still barely any rain has reached my location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Things going pretty much according to plan here in Dublin...temps varying from 3 in S Dublin to about 5 degrees on the coast. Temps probably wont go above 5/6 tomorrow and then will slowly drop as night falls, then rain will probably turn to sleet/snow tomorrow night (if the front plays ball and stays over us)

Regarding the North, I can see serious snowfalls over 200 metres, with a rain/sleet/snow mix below 100 metres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Rain! Hopefully this changes as evening and night come along. Will keep you updated of any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

who makes up this unbelievable rubbish? Pure fiction. The freezing level in Wicklow will be between 1450 and 1650 meters tomorrow! Imagine you depended on this forecast if you wanted to do some hill walking and then got caught in a blizzard.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Lugnaquilla/forecasts/925

Raintoday saying it's been raining here in Sligo for close to an hour. Can confirm it's bone dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

I had to amend those totals Jerry as they didn't match with my other two rain gauges which i trust more in these conditions. Real total at 3pm was 13.4mm.

Really bad conditions though in Waterford City with a max gust of 71km/h recorded at my station and 80km/h at the Airport.
    Depending on wind direction, my Davis can shake making the spoons drop and register rain that's not there in strong gusts and it looks like gusts down there are strong enough.
    It can also under report as I suspect mine is today when the rain is driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Raintoday saying it's been raining here in Sligo for close to an hour. Can confirm it's bone dry.

Raintoday, met.ie and meteo radars all showing rain here for over an hour... bone dry also.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

who makes up this unbelievable rubbish? Pure fiction. The freezing level in Wicklow will be between 1450 and 1650 meters tomorrow! Imagine you depended on this forecast if you wanted to do some hill walking and then got caught in a blizzard.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Lugnaquilla/forecasts/925

Haven't looked at any other charts, but that certainly seems match up to the freezing level charts on the GFS for tomorrow
    245894.GIF

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement