Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Raining all day here in Castlebar, been getting steadily heavier as well, temp down to 3.6°C now in quite strong winds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Wicklow mountains rain shadow very noticeable on the radar

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

patneve2 wrote: »
    Wicklow mountains rain shadow very noticeable on the radar

Yes, very, especially on UKMO radar.

Meanwhile, this side of the mountains, 7.2mm so far with steady moderate rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I had to amend those totals Jerry as they didn't match with my other two rain gauges which i trust more in these conditions. Real total at 3pm was 13.4mm.

Really bad conditions though in Waterford City with a max gust of 71km/h recorded at my station and 80km/h at the Airport.

Thanks Mick, that’s surprising. Rain has been fairly consistent. Maybe it’s the wind making it seem heavier than it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Trogdor wrote: »
    Haven't looked at any other charts, but that certainly seems match up to the freezing level charts on the GFS for tomorrow
    Maybe? It's not raining on top of Lugnaquilla now and I don't think it will be tomorrow either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Snowing here now after 45 mins of drizzle wery windy, 2.2 C dp -1.4 wind chill -5.8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Maybe? It's not raining on top of Lugnaquilla now and I don't think it will be tomorrow either.
    yeah looks like its the gfs,that's based on.
    I suspect it will continue to snow on lug tomorrow unless the back edge of the front drags it into mild air.
    With a stall situation that won't happen.
    Snow on Croghan about 20miles south of Lug seems to be Settling at about an inch an hour .Up on Lug it will be heavier and there could easily be feet of the stuff by this time tomorrow, not to mention drifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Petrol_Head

Drizzle in sligo town. Windy as windy wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

The rain has changed to sleet here now..with a temp of 2.8,dew 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Temp is 3c and dew of -2(donegal). The latest NI update from metoffice states heavy snow everywhere away from southern NI with gales or severe gales. The Russians in Belfast for tomorrows night game will be in for a shock ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

spells of rain here so far, nothing heavy...yet, Temp has dropped from 6 to 3 in a couple of hours, wind makes it feel like -2, with a Dew Point of 2.

Out of interest, what does the Dew Point have to be for a chance of Snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

rain getting heavier and wind getting stronger here in arklow

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

spells of rain here so far, nothing heavy...yet, Temp has dropped from 6 to 3 in a couple of hours, wind makes it feel like -2, with a Dew Point of 2.

Out of interest, what does the Dew Point have to be for a chance of Snow?

Ideally below 0...but it does not have to be.

Rain a little lighter here now. 9.2mm so far. 3.4c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1645 Met Eireann update
    Wet and windy with spells of heavy rain this evening and tonight and some local spot flooding. Some heavy falls of snow expected in Ulster during the night with moderate accumulations and drifting due to the very strong easterly winds.
    Some drier periods may develop in parts of the midlands and south for a time later in the night.
    Temperatures tonight will range from a cold 0 to 4 degrees in Ulster, north Leinster and parts of north Connacht to 8 to 10 degrees in Munster.

hr.gif

Tomorrow

Very windy tomorrow with further periods of heavy rain, with the risk of thunder. Falls of sleet and snow over parts of Ulster for a time. Somewhat drier, clearer conditions will develop in the southwest tomorrow evening.
    Highest temperatures ranging from only 2 to 5 degrees over Ulster and north Leinster to between 7 and 10 degrees elsewhere, highest in the southwest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

First of all, the NI situation as I see it ... mostly rain away from high ground until late Friday then mixing and turning to heavy snow at lower elevations during the night, perhaps continuing on Saturday, and possibly spreading some distance south into north Leinster and Connacht as it does so. Amounts in this stage could be anywhere from 5 to 20 cm depending on exposure to east winds and elevation. It could be disruptive in places. By this time most of the moisture has moved north of the Dublin-Wicklow mountains but any sporadic activity there would be snowfall as low as 150m by Saturday afternoon. Amounts however could be fairly slight.

By Sunday-Monday, it looks like a similar story to Monday 11th as bitterly cold air streams across the now-rather-cold Irish Sea. I think we may end up seeing a similar range of results, from locally heavy snow in streamers to frequent non-accumulating snow to pockets of light and intermittent snow, all mixing at times with hail showers. Once again, this may set up a forecast contrast as well as a radar-watching nowcast outcome. I'm not going to be forecasting any Leinster-wide blizzards without a lot of evidence but localized blizzards quite possible given these rather extreme uppers and the massive convective potential of the late March solar angle. This time also the set-up has longer duration and could be somewhat less parched in lower levels as once again the March sun will likely contribute to low-level saturation of the air mass crossing the North Sea. That could keep dew points a bit higher than on the 11th. Will it make a large difference for Dublin? Time will tell, I have the hunch that the same areas that saw snow on the 11th will do well this time but it may be more extensive and it may be more disruptive. Not 1917 disruptive, but something to watch.

Scotland and northeast England meanwhile never really get into this milder wedge and could see massive snowfall amounts over four days as even tomorrow will be a good snowfall event for them. Somewhere in that region could easily see 50 cm of snow with 1.5m drifts (talking about higher elevations but roads have to go through those to connect the dots).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

DP predictions from the 12Z GFS. First midnight, then 6am. Looks like snow at lower levels in the far north at first, then at higher levels later.

245903.jpg

245905.jpg

12Z NAE a little better. Midnight and 6am again.

245909.jpg

245910.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DP predictions from the 12Z GFS. First midnight, then 6am. Looks like snow at lower levels in the far north at first, then at higher levels later.

245903.jpg

245905.jpg
    You would be a brave man to use GFS Global for this event!:pac:

MT i think you are seriously underestimating the depths up north. Interesting evening ahead.

You would be a brave man to use GFS Global for this event!:pac:

MT i think you are seriously underestimating the depths up north. Interesting evening ahead.

True. I've thrown in the NAE DP charts too in an edit to the post. They look better. Sleety rain here in Murrisk a while back. Wasn't expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Yes M.T. locals here (Aberdeen) are saying snow tomorrow evening till Sunday, it snowed again here till 14:00 today, it has stopped now and temps dropped rapidly, I guess I will be out clearing the drive many times over the weekend, back breaking stuff at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 kenskool

2.2 and the dp is 0.1 here but no snow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

kenskool wrote: »
    2.2 and the dp is 0.1 here but no snow!!

Is it dry or raining steadily?

Front stalls and turns to snow Saturday.

We need this to trend.. we want the feature to the south of England ~30hrs to develop further :)

Yes. DP's at midday Saturday according to the NAE. Dropping back nicely again, especially for the north and east.

245913.jpg

Yes M.T. locals here (Aberdeen) are saying snow tomorrow evening till Sunday, it snowed again here till 14:00 today, it has stopped now and temps dropped rapidly, I guess I will be out clearing the drive many times over the weekend, back breaking stuff at this stage.

I hope you have a camera as well as a shovel! ;) Need snow pictures. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kenskool

Is it dry or raining steadily?
    Steady light rain here . Maybe as the darkness falls it might turn to sleet or even snow

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Any reports of snow yet?....still sleet here,temp 2.6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

kenskool wrote: »
    Steady light rain here . Maybe as the darkness falls it might turn to sleet or even snow

It is to get less favorable through the night and tomorrow until Saturday morning when the DPs will drop back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Kutebride

SIL posted pic on FB driving home from work in snow. They are in Wicklow near Aughrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Took a drive up by Ballinastoe woods near Roundwood earlier. Was noticeable the further from the sea the lower the sleet/snow falling line came.
    Sleet started around 150 metres and was full on wet snow around 200 metres there. Snow line (lying)was about 300 metres'ish. I'd say the snow line could lower to about 200 metres or lower in the next 24 hours or even overnight. Up by Sallygap or higher must be unreal.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

One thing for sure is that its windy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement