Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

All radars showing ppn here for last 3 hours and still bone dry ????:confused:
    Very strong wind and biting cold. All weather stations around showing 0 or minus DPs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I hope you have a camera as well as a shovel! ;) Need snow pictures. :)

I do not have a camera but I wil try to get one tomorrow and go up on the roof, (some fantastic sights from up there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Kutebride wrote: »
    SIL posted pic on FB driving home from work in snow. They are in Wicklow near Aughrim.

well.... where is the pic?? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Still no rain recorded here yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

How cold does it have to be for it to snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Temp down to 2.1°C now in Castlebar, winds are still actually increasing, have had some violent gusts, showers are gradually turning more sleety now as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

pad199207 wrote: »
    Still no rain recorded here yet!

That's mad! Has been lashing rain and violently windy here all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Navan

Temp - 4.3
    Wind - 24kmh
    Gust - 38kmh
    Wind chill - 0.4
    DP - 1.8
    Rain - 0.6mm today , 0.3mm last hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

First of all, the NI situation as I see it ... mostly rain away from high ground until late Friday then mixing and turning to heavy snow at lower elevations during the night, perhaps continuing on Saturday, and possibly spreading some distance south into north Leinster and Connacht as it does so. Amounts in this stage could be anywhere from 5 to 20 cm depending on exposure to east winds and elevation. It could be disruptive in places. By this time most of the moisture has moved north of the Dublin-Wicklow mountains but any sporadic activity there would be snowfall as low as 150m by Saturday afternoon. Amounts however could be fairly slight.

By Sunday-Monday, it looks like a similar story to Monday 11th as bitterly cold air streams across the now-rather-cold Irish Sea. I think we may end up seeing a similar range of results, from locally heavy snow in streamers to frequent non-accumulating snow to pockets of light and intermittent snow, all mixing at times with hail showers. Once again, this may set up a forecast contrast as well as a radar-watching nowcast outcome. I'm not going to be forecasting any Leinster-wide blizzards without a lot of evidence but localized blizzards quite possible given these rather extreme uppers and the massive convective potential of the late March solar angle. This time also the set-up has longer duration and could be somewhat less parched in lower levels as once again the March sun will likely contribute to low-level saturation of the air mass crossing the North Sea. That could keep dew points a bit higher than on the 11th. Will it make a large difference for Dublin? Time will tell, I have the hunch that the same areas that saw snow on the 11th will do well this time but it may be more extensive and it may be more disruptive. Not 1917 disruptive, but something to watch.

Scotland and northeast England meanwhile never really get into this milder wedge and could see massive snowfall amounts over four days as even tomorrow will be a good snowfall event for them. Somewhere in that region could easily see 50 cm of snow with 1.5m drifts (talking about higher elevations but roads have to go through those to connect the dots).
    Hey M.T. how do you see Donegal faring out of this?, Never mind Dublin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just rain for dublin for next few days? Met seems to think that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just rain for dublin for next few days? Met seems to think that.

certainly not tomorrow as tomorrow will propably the mildest day we'll have over the coming 7 days, slight chance of snow on saturday and after that chance of wintry showers but nothing too major.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Xenji wrote: »
    Temp down to 2.1°C now in Castlebar, winds are still actually increasing, have had some violent gusts, showers are gradually turning more sleety now as well.
    Temp riseing here slighty the last half hour was 2.6..now 2.9.very light sleet here now.my highest gust was 47mph this afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Irish weather network go for Donegal,Derry and Tyrone to see the worst of the snowy conditions. Surprising when every other source is fc the east of Ulster to be hardest hit

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jjj6894x

Gonzo wrote: »
    certainly not tomorrow as tomorrow will propably the mildest day we'll have over the coming 7 days, slight chance of snow on saturday and after that chance of wintry showers but nothing too major.

there's a flood warning for 40mm of rain -- is dublin likely to escape the worst of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Horrible weather in Cork all day. started @ 7am and getting heavier all day. swamped we is! radar isnt looking too healthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I'm in north east leinster so should be interesting to see how tomorrow turns out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Is there any sign of this clearing off anytime soon? I can't ever remember it being this cold in March before. Generally I associate Paddys Day as the day that heralds milder temps and consigning the scarf and gloves to the closet.

I'm guessing my hopes of being able to swan around Amsterdam in a tshirt for Easter Weekend are quickly evaporating too after a quick look at the 4 day for there.

Up to 40cms forecasted in latest bbc forecast for the north and still no designated thread?

Just watched the forecasts , there is some difference in the bbc ni forecast doomsday snow warnings compared to Jean casually mentioning snow in the north.
    Looks like a mega snow day tomorrow in the North tomorrow. The time of year will matter little.

Pangea wrote: »
    Up to 40cms forecasted in latest bbc forecast for the north and still no designated thread?

Just watched the forecasts , there is some difference in the bbc ni forecast doomsday snow warnings compared to Jean casually mentioning snow in the north.
    Looks like a mega snow day tomorrow in the North tomorrow. The time of year will matter little.

I need a Snow Day badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

I need a Snow Day badly

Forget to do your homework?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The thread is called 'Windy, Heavy Rain & Flooding, Heavy Snow Risk In Northern Regions (Thursday-Saturday)'. :rolleyes:

Most people in this thread are actually talking about the snow risk so I can't see why a new thread is required considering the front may stall and snow risk move back south again?

I need a Snow Day badly

I almost felt sorry for you until I looked at your location and your elevation above sea level. .. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

cson wrote: »
    Is there any sign of this clearing off anytime soon? I can't ever remember it being this cold in March before. Generally I associate Paddys Day as the day that heralds milder temps and consigning the scarf and gloves to the closet.

I'm guessing my hopes of being able to swan around Amsterdam in a tshirt for Easter Weekend are quickly evaporating too after a quick look at the 4 day for there.

Nope. The latest ECM has the cold weather persisting for the rest of March. Very cold next week and continuing cold over the weekend into April.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Work away and open one up my good man ,

Hardly had any rain in Newbridge today, been slightly overcast and cool with a moderate breeze

I almost felt sorry for you until I looked at your location and your elevation above sea level. .. :pac:

Am I in with a chance?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ECM stalls the front over eastern Ireland and would turn it to snow by Sat AM.

Serious snowfall amounts in eastern NI by Saturday evening. Unthinkable amounts of snow for the Mournes I think. Would say it not absurd to talk about something near 70cm at a height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ECM stalls the front over eastern Ireland and would turn it to snow by Sat AM.

Serious snowfall amounts in eastern NI by Saturday evening. Unthinkable amounts of snow for the Mournes I think. Would say it not absurd to talk about something near 70cm at a height.
    Eastern Ireland... 25km inland or more? I don't want to travel to get my snow fix;)

Anyway, I didn't think ECM had the resolution necessary for useful short term forecasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

wonder if the snow depths recorded in late Feb 2001 will be beaten (75cm in Mourne mountains)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

patneve2 wrote: »
    wonder if the snow depths recorded in late Feb 2001 will be beaten (75cm in Mourne mountains)
    Hah don't mention the war! You'd have to suspect so. I didn't think the Mournes received nearly as much snow as that. I remember that as an all-snow event but most parts of Co. Louth received less than 20cm

• Advertisement

Am I in with a chance?:rolleyes:

I am thinking you had a snow day this winter already fr? Say a prayer for us snow deprived folks in the NW.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement