Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I'm beside the coast in the north east of leinster so it's always very interesting what way it'll go for us. Sometimes we're the worst affected by snow, other times we get all the rain :P I don't understand why sometimes we get big snowfall and others just torrential rain? Would anyone like to explain? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

For anybody wanting to look at the real current synoptic, i find this place real good.

http://meteocentre.com/analyse/map.php?map=AtlN&date=2013032119&size=large&lang=en&area=eur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Hah don't mention the war! You'd have to suspect so. I didn't think the Mournes received nearly as much snow as that. I remember that as an all-snow event but most parts of Co. Louth received less than 20cm

I found it surprising also (met.ie state that those depths were recorded in late feb 2001)

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/SnowfallAnal.pdf page 9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I find the name of that pdf surprising !!

55 knot wind gust recorded at Dun Laoghaire Harbour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Moderate? Moderate? :eek:

Its nearly the worse rain/wind combo we've had this winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

irish1967 wrote: »
    I find the name of that pdf surprising !!

Make sure you don't download it then because it becomes an anal pdf file.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

patneve2 wrote: »

In Sligo 49knot on my weather station
    Temperature is rising though 5,2c
    It was 4,2c

Agree that ni is close to getting very deep snow maybe 2ft as long as the dp stays below 0 and not 1

As people said before if this was January ....1947

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

Don't know how many knots etc. but the wind outside here in very North Meath is SERIOUS. Old fence flat on the ground - my back garden is now part of my front garden!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

patneve2 wrote: »

Wheres that from Pat? Last i saw the Harbour Company had discontined their live station data, id be glad to know if its available elsewhere Ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Eden3 wrote: »
    Don't know how many knots etc. but the wind outside here in very North Meath is SERIOUS. Old fence flat on the ground - my back garden is now part of my front garden!:eek:

where abouts are ya, i agree its unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

where abouts are ya, i agree its unreal

Between Nobber and Kingscourt - and you?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

My highest wind gust so far today is 44kmh at 20.14 (Navan)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Wind may sound bad, but its not a patch on what we had in January, I recall gusts of 110Km/h. The car was rocking back and forth in the driveway!

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Wheres that from Pat? Last i saw the Harbour Company had discontined their live station data, id be glad to know if its available elsewhere Ta

they brought it back :)

http://www.dlhweather.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Eden3 wrote: »
    Between Nobber and Kingscourt - and you?

between Rathkenny and Slane, wind seems to have settled down a bit now or maybe its cos ive the tele up to loud, im not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

A very distinct Rain Shadow over the Naas area atm! Absolutely nothing recorded all day!

I didn't have an anemometer but it felt very windy at the top of Clermont Carn 3 hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Currently 6.5c in Waterford and so far we have had 59.2mm of rain so far!!!! (have to get Mickger844posts to confirm)
    Tis pelting down. Highest gust so far 74.1km/h

We're going to be washed away... could be leaving in a canoe in the morn.
    Wish it was a sled though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

pad199207 wrote: »
    A very distinct Rain Shadow over the Naas area atm! Absolutely nothing recorded all day!

Agreed, bone dry here in Robertstown, I was watching the radar when I was in work in Dublin and there was rain everywhere except a triangle around the Newbridge and Nass area, bizzare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Wind and rain is trying to wreck the house already had a leak in the living room today :(

But it's really quite windy at the moment

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

aurora 527 wrote: »
    Currently 6.5c in Waterford and so far we have had 58.4mm of rain so far!!!!

Wow! :eek:

18.6mm so far here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Wind really picking up at Howth 39.95 knots (73km) at 8:35 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Wow! :eek:

18.6mm so far here.

Edited previous post have to get Mickger844posts to confirm, think he was having a problem with the measurements earlier and had to adjust it down, but his station is currently showing 61.0mm truely lashing down..

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Wind nothing special here, nor is the rain. Don't expect much out of this, Wicklow mountains will do a good job ruining any fun for me.

God, would love to be up North for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Radar looks thundery now in Connemara heading for Mayo. Any reports of lightning?

Folks, bear in mind, the snow risk in Ulster is probably more for the second half of this event, when it begins to move back south tomorrow (evening) and the chances will decrease once the rain arrives because for a time there will be a slight warm advection going on as far north as Antrim. Snow may still happen on higher slopes before Friday afternoon-evening, but the heavier snow seems likely to begin then and last into Saturday morning. I think it may mix and melt near sea level but land and stick on hills, inland counties of Ulster could see a heavy snowfall event. For Donegal I imagine the outcome will be quite variable place to place, which is not much of a forecast but if you wanted to estimate, snow will be greater wherever ground is sloping up to west and winds can attack from east. If that is opposite to your situation then you might not see much snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Extremely windy and wet in Castlebar with very gusty SE'LY winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

pad199207 wrote: »

Imagine how annoyed you'd be if this was all snow!

wouldn't be surprised if the rain briefly turned to sleet in the next few hours and then back to rain (Dublin). Don't have an anemometer but gusts definitely over 100 km/hr here in exposed Dalkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Very windy and lashing rain in blackrock. Had to take patio furniture inside

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement