Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rougies wrote: »
    Imagine how annoyed you'd be if this was all snow!

There would be war.... literally :P

Its the best rain shadow ive seen i think! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

4.0c here with heavy rain now. Snow-level must be about 1000ft over Wicklaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Lashing it down here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Deank wrote: »
    Agreed, bone dry here in Robertstown, I was watching the radar when I was in work in Dublin and there was rain everywhere except a triangle around the Newbridge and Nass area, bizzare.

Also in the rain shadow, at the northern end. Between Kilcock and Enfield but very slightly south of that line. Bone dry and no measured rain today.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

\Was canvassing for the by-election in Meath today and could barely feel my face afterwards.
    I've been active in politics for a decade and I have done a lot of canvassing over that time, but I have never been as a chilled to the bone as I was today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

What are your thoughts on M.T's latest update. Do you agree or disagre?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some folks in NI could see 50cm of snow. The latest NAE run is just insane again. The front tilts Friday night/Saturday AM and it just keeps snowing up there. Keeps on snowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Power flickering here in Castlebar, been bad all day, but is atrocious out now, after hearing thunder in the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Central wicklow eg DrumGoff area above glenmalure,probably only 800ft.
    Same round Sally gap area I'd imagine.
    Temp and dp drops rapidly as you head inland and up at the same time.
    Today for example,0.5c air temp in the snow 1500ft up croghan mtn.
    6 miles east at my location,temp was 4.7c

Currently 4.9c here and a dp of 4c but I'd be confident of snow still falling and piling up at that 1500ft location and in the colder central parts of the county above 800ft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Unreal amounts of melted snow falling here in Dublin 4. I'd take a picture, but it's only that annoying transparent melted snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Aer Lingus flight diverting to DUB from Shannon due to high winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Whats that link to listen to the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

If morning NAE backs up its 0z run i expect the METO to issue their highest level red warning for NI.
    Some folks in NI could see 50cm of snow. The latest NAE run is just insane again. The front tilts Friday night/Saturday AM and it just keeps snowing up there. Keeps on snowing.

Link to those charts by any chance? Looks like low level rain for me here. However, there seems to be a few conflicting views, from MT, MetE, Met UK and bbc. Anyway, will have to wait and c

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eidw2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

http://www.liveatc.net/search/

Dublin is down so here is Shannon

http://www.liveatc.net/search/

Pics coming in on Twitter showing flooding in Blackpool Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If it didn't rise much above this for the remainder of today and tomorrow, it might harken fairly widespread falls of snow north of Kells and east of Newry as well as higher ground outside this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Currently about 3c here in Omagh, and it's fairly gusting outside though not extremely so. I've heard reports that parts of the Sperrins had up to 10cm of snow this morning, but other than a brief sleet shower there's been no precipitation here today in the town.
    However if the forecasts are reasonably accurate, Omagh could be in for heavy snow disruption this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

2.8c here and lashing sleet/rain. I'd guess the snow level is about 600m. Must be lots of it up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

I just took a trip out my back garden, the wind is that cold it would cut you in two and the trees are blowing sideways.

There is moisture falling from the sky, I'm not too sure how to describe it, it's not rain, it's certainly not snow and it's not sleet; it's some sort of wet slop I've never seen before, it's not heavy at the moment but judging by the radar it could be in the next hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Radar looks thundery now in Connemara heading for Mayo. Any reports of lightning?

Folks, bear in mind, the snow risk in Ulster is probably more for the second half of this event, when it begins to move back south tomorrow (evening) and the chances will decrease once the rain arrives because for a time there will be a slight warm advection going on as far north as Antrim. Snow may still happen on higher slopes before Friday afternoon-evening, but the heavier snow seems likely to begin then and last into Saturday morning. I think it may mix and melt near sea level but land and stick on hills, inland counties of Ulster could see a heavy snowfall event. For Donegal I imagine the outcome will be quite variable place to place, which is not much of a forecast but if you wanted to estimate, snow will be greater wherever ground is sloping up to west and winds can attack from east. If that is opposite to your situation then you might not see much snow.
    The event so far has suggested rather brisk wind speeds, perhaps more than I expected at this stage. I think that might help limit the warmer airmass from heading north. It also probably helps the chance of snow if wind speeds remain high at sea level.

Going on experience, I think Donegal will do better out of this than the models are suggesting (not entirely their fault, insufficient resolution etc), while I reckon the Lisburn/Banbridge corridor will probably have a lot of snow that may not stick. There's much to be said for being over 50 miles from the nearest wind-facing coast along with typically higher terrain in populated parts of Letterkenny and some villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

the 18z NAE isn't out that far yet?

Not on weatheronline anyway, unless I'm missing something.

I may not have rain here but i have wind, gust 56 KMH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

highdef wrote: »

Also in the rain shadow, at the northern end. Between Kilcock and Enfield but very slightly south of that line. Bone dry and no measured rain today.
    Noticed that today, driving down the M4 . Quite bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

If only the conditions were right to snow, there'd be crazy amounts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Deank wrote: »
    I just took a trip out my back garden, the wind is that cold it would cut you in two and the trees are blowing sideways.

There is moisture falling from the sky, I'm not too sure how to describe it, it's not rain, it's certainly not snow and it's not sleet; it's some sort of wet slop I've never seen before, it's not heavy at the moment but judging by the radar it could be in the next hour or so.
    Was out for a walk about 20 minuets ago defiantly sleet in the heaver bursts of perception,could also see it hitting parked cars in the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

The event so far has suggested rather brisk wind speeds, perhaps more than I expected at this stage. I think that might help limit the warmer airmass from heading north. It also probably helps the chance of snow if wind speeds remain high at sea level.

Going on experience, I think Donegal will do better out of this than the models are suggesting (not entirely their fault, insufficient resolution etc), while I reckon the Lisburn/Banbridge corridor will probably have a lot of snow that may not stick. There's much to be said for being over 50 miles from the nearest wind-facing coast along with typically higher terrain in populated parts of Letterkenny and some villages.
    Would agree with that and your earlier post on North Meath seeing Snow at times especially going into Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

England going to get severe snow I see again.??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

Noticed that today, driving down the M4 . Quite bizarre.

It is amazing that this area in the shadow has not had a drop of rain,
    It has been sideways raining,Sleet,snow back to rain most of the day here. Station reading 14mm of rain today so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Max gust here 5 mins ago of 82.0km/h

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement