Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Now comes the interesting part. The low reached its deepest and closest point around 0600h and will gradually back off to the southwest. The strong winds will tend to moderate in all regions even in Ulster but the warm advection will be halted mid-day, then the under-cut begins and heavier and more widespread snow should develop across Ulster. This will eventually form a southward-moving frontal band and that could remain rather heavy all the way to the south coast by mid-morning Sunday. Those details will be partly nowcasting but I would expect a period of accumulating snow in most places between Saturday morning and Sunday mid-day from this back-door cold front moving southwest.

Also, expect heavy accumulations of snow in all inland regions later today and tonight north of a Drogheda to Athlone to Sligo arc, with variations near that boundary by elevation but fairly widespread to the north of the boundary at all elevations. Would say Fermanagh-Cavan-Monaghan (isn't there one guy with a foot in all of those? how does that work exactly?) and south Derry-Antrim for the jackpot of 20-40 cm. That's going to bring down tree branches, and stress long-distance electricity installations, as well as disrupting transportation. For Belfast city I would say perhaps 5-10 cm, the urban heat effect and some local moderation from nearby bodies of water may reduce the totals there.

Will be watching closely to assess snowfall alerts for Leinster on Saturday, probably will be needed for Meath and Westmeath, Longford, same also inland Connacht, not so sure yet for Dublin, Kildare and Offaly, Laois. Maybe Saturday night there.

Warm air has already halted northward advance by looks of 0800h obs and the colder trend in the north should begin soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

If your going to snow,just f**king drop your load and be done with it,don't want no more of this teasing.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Also, expect heavy accumulations of snow in all inland regions later today and tonight north of a Drogheda to Athlone to Sligo arc

Im definitely included in this line, should be an interesting evening :cool:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pretty much persistant moderate rain here since 1pm yesterday. Event total so far of 45.4mm.

Have been monitoring rain totals at both Casement and Dublin AP - I am averaging at least double the rain totals at those loctaions but I always get a deluge here (due to terrain) with an E to NE wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Just imagine the snow around Sally gap at this stage!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

I have been watching this thread very closely over the last few days. Some interest predictions.

Question - I am Driving to Derry this evening from Dublin. Undoubtedly I am going to hit Snow at some point of the journey, and before you ask yes I have to travel unfortunately.

So I have 2 options.

1. Head straight for Belfast and then take the motorway all the way to the Glenshane Pass.
    2. Once I hit Newry cut off towards Armagh and head towards Dungannon, cookstown and then the Genshane Pass.

Anyone have any thoughts on the safest and easiest way?
    Now the Glenshane pass will be the lynch pin in this, but I am hoping to get there for around 6/7 when there will be a large volume of traffic on it and already over it so I am hoping that the roads authority will be all over it at that point.

the amount of rain in the last couple of hours has busted my new drainage system, 18 inches of pipes no use against mother nature, came up through the ground, driveway now under water :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Jaysus almighty, the heaviest rain I've seen in ages here in cork city. Scary

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Petrol_Head

Hero777 wrote: »
    I have been watching this thread very closely over the last few days. Some interest predictions.

Question - I am Driving to Derry this evening from Dublin. Undoubtedly I am going to hit Snow at some point of the journey, and before you ask yes I have to travel unfortunately.

So I have 2 options.

1. Head straight for Belfast and then take the motorway all the way to the Glenshane Pass.
    2. Once I hit Newry cut off towards Armagh and head towards Dungannon, cookstown and then the Genshane Pass.

Anyone have any thoughts on the safest and easiest way?
    Now the Glenshane pass will be the lynch pin in this, but I am hoping to get there for around 6/7 when there will be a large volume of traffic on it and already over it so I am hoping that the roads authority will be all over it at that point.

I'd go with option 3. Take the Derry Road through Slane, Ardee and on up to Monaghan and then continue on to Omagh. Then from Omagh to Derry.

This is how I get to Letterkenny from Drogheda, it's quicker than Via Dungannon, and roads north of Cookstown are pure muck! (Literally).

WHen you're on the return leg though, come back via Omagh then Dungannon and Armagh, as there's road works heading south to Monaghan just on the border.

Hope that helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I had about 3-5cm of snow that fell over night!

In Streetly Part of west Midlands and more on the way!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nearing 5cms here too.......of rain! :) 'Storm' total now 47.8mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

To the Derry traveller. Another option is via Sligo - Donegal Town - Letterkenny or Lifford - Derry. Keeping west might be the best option. Barnesmore Gap would be a far better option than Glenshane which will be impassable if forecast snow arrives.

Tonight I'm going from Sligo to Drogheda. Fastest route is via m4 to Dublin. Most interesting route will be the scenic one. Sligo - Leitrim - Fermanagh - Cavan - Meath - Louth

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Snowing quite heavy here in Omagh, Co Tyrone at the moment. Ground is very wet though, but if it keeps coming it should lie. Should be an interesting drive home this afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Early midterm sent home from school , thank you weather

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

BBC seem to be going for rain rain and more rain anywhere south of the Banbridge area in the North. I would much prefer MT interpretation to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Awful morning here in Waterford. Just back from school run, didn't encounter any floods but some traffic lights out of order and flying wheelie bins a definite hazard..

Hear some parts of Cork hit badly with floods

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

If you go back to 17:00 yesterday and track forward to this morning, you'll see that the River Nore has risen by 200cm in that time period.

http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/live-webcams/ireland/Nore/Thomastown/

If this keeps up then it will burst its banks by this afternoon.

BBC News now. Belfast is a whiteout!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

would not like to be in traffice on Sandyknowes North ! looks a whiteout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

BBC News now. Belfast is a whiteout!
    As is Omagh.
    Hear that January snowstorm ;)

On BBC news 24 now Belfast looks unreal,that IS a blizzard

Lads is the snow up north supposed to push back south later

would not like to be in traffice on Sandyknowes North ! looks a whiteout!

http://cctv.trafficwatchni.com/static/3.jpg

I would! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

God I hope so, rather watch the pretty snow than the yucky rain

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not to where you are unless you are at a decent elevation, better chance for Sunday if you aren't too far inland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

The Dodder in south Dublin about half an hour ago was nearing the top of the banks behind Bushy Park and near Orwell Road. If it rises much more I'd say they'll be worrying at the Dropping Well, it looked quite high approaching there too.

My weather channel app on the phone which has been very accurate over the winter, is predicting snow for my area around 10 tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Ridiculous amounts of rain here, winds still strong and temp of 5.3 C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Lashing rain in Carrick-on-Suir. At times it looks like it's mixed with something a bit heavier, hailstones, but no hailstones actually falling. So windy out there too.

It's a day for the fire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement