Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Glenshane Pass now closed due to adverse weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

So much rain and wind in Tallaght, god it's miserable.
    I was snowing up around Brittas yesterday but not sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Now comes the interesting part. The low reached its deepest and closest point around 0600h and will gradually back off to the southwest. The strong winds will tend to moderate in all regions even in Ulster but the warm advection will be halted mid-day, then the under-cut begins and heavier and more widespread snow should develop across Ulster. This will eventually form a southward-moving frontal band and that could remain rather heavy all the way to the south coast by mid-morning Sunday. Those details will be partly nowcasting but I would expect a period of accumulating snow in most places between Saturday morning and Sunday mid-day from this back-door cold front moving southwest.

Also, expect heavy accumulations of snow in all inland regions later today and tonight north of a Drogheda to Athlone to Sligo arc, with variations near that boundary by elevation but fairly widespread to the north of the boundary at all elevations. Would say Fermanagh-Cavan-Monaghan (isn't there one guy with a foot in all of those? how does that work exactly?) and south Derry-Antrim for the jackpot of 20-40 cm. That's going to bring down tree branches, and stress long-distance electricity installations, as well as disrupting transportation. For Belfast city I would say perhaps 5-10 cm, the urban heat effect and some local moderation from nearby bodies of water may reduce the totals there.

Will be watching closely to assess snowfall alerts for Leinster on Saturday, probably will be needed for Meath and Westmeath, Longford, same also inland Connacht, not so sure yet for Dublin, Kildare and Offaly, Laois. Maybe Saturday night there.

Warm air has already halted northward advance by looks of 0800h obs and the colder trend in the north should begin soon.
    I have to say the NAE model does not lend support to some of this. In fact, the 00 and 06z runs are suggesting inland north leinster and ulster snow for a window between 12 midnight and maybe 9 or 10 am, when the sun then comes into play for keeping temps above freezing in lower-lying levels. Meaning falling snow but not going to stick during daylight, in e.g the likes of Navan. Indeed, the NAE shows the front stalling by Saturday morning and at no point does it travel south of Athlone, fizzling out instead over the border area and towards Scotland, not Cork.
    13032306_2200.gif
    There may be "accumulating snow" in the areas mentioned, but nowhere below 200 metres ASL south of this. I don't know where you're seeing this idea of a retreating front...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Glenshane pass re-opened apparently.

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

As per usual temps and dp's look good sat night into sunday for the east but no precip about, hope M.T is on to something but don't see it my self

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

63mm of rain in 36 hours with a max gust of 84km/h recorded last night.

Backgarden is now flooding for only the second time I can remember, October 2011 been the last time. It looks identical.. :O Dodder has to be close to bursting!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

My garden is water logged and full of puddles, must go out and check the Poddle and the Dodder around here at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As per usual temps and dp's look good sat night into sunday for the east but no precip about, hope M.T is on to something but don't see it my self

Agreed, too many factors in favour of the warm side of marginality, as tends to be the case in Ireland. I dont think lower lying areas in the Republic will see much snowfall, Uppers, DP not convincing enough. A mix of the models isnt backing the undercut enough, that milder air remains too influential. Certainly not before Sunday night / Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Backgarden is now flooding for only the second time I can remember, October 2011 been the last time. It looks identical.. :O Dodder has to be close to bursting!

I can't remember the Dodder bursting in the last 20 years (I may stand to be corrected though)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

The Dodder is now starting to burst its banks at Bushy Park and near Orwell Road, though it's not rising very quickly. Absolute deluge of rain in south Dublin for the last hour, lots of surface flooding developing. Geysers coming from drains at Milltown bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Glenshane pass re-opened apparently.

Typical of this place 7 people thank the poster who says its closed nobody thanks the poster who says its reopened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Deank wrote: »
    I can't remember the Dodder bursting in the last 20 years (I may stand to be corrected though)

The Dodder bursts all the time! http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0504/319659-works-at-dart-bridge-did-not-cause-floods-report/

Anyway if it's high already & this rain keeps up it till high tide (20:31) I'm pretty sure it'll go again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Typical of this place 7 people thank the poster who says its closed nobody thanks the poster who says its reopened

Maybe the people who had thanked the first post hadn't been back to see the post about it reopening? Just a thought.

Reports of a car in the ditch on the road from Garvagh to Dungiven, road like a bottle. If you are travelling around that way then take care!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Did it not happen when landowne Road station was being worked on? There was some people blaming the scaffolding work at the station for blocking the passage of water. Ballsbridge was in a bad way I remember as was templeogue.

dacogawa wrote: »
    The Dodder bursts all the time! http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0504/319659-works-at-dart-bridge-did-not-cause-floods-report/

Anyway if it's high already & this rain keeps up it till high tide (20:31) I'm pretty sure it'll go again

Sorry I meant up by the Dropping Well, in my time growing up in the area I can't remember it bursting by the pub, I can remember it bursting several times down by St Annes in Milltown where it is lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

absolutely pelting down again here, wind has picked up to, and its Baltic

Temp has droppped from 4 to 3c and the dew point has dropped to from 4 to 3 as well, wind chill is making it feel like -1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

The Dodder in Dublin looking high...Flood protection works are Still on going :(

BF8-iW8CUAIrUH7.jpg

BF9ajT_CIAEWOdb.jpg

While it is open- its strongly advised to avoid the area by police. It will probably be closed again later too.

Sorry I meant up by the Dropping Well, in my time growing up in the area I can't remember it bursting by the pub, I can remember it bursting several times down by St Annes in Milltown where it is lower.

The Dropping Well gets it too :( always when I want a good fry!

(OLD PICTURE, NOT TODAY. yet...)
    greekorthodox.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Posted on twitter 4 hours ago

http://instagram.com/p/XJuSznQ0zh/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tipping it down here and temp steady at 4.6c.

Horrendous day out there.

greekorthodox.jpg

Wow, when was that, please note I haven't lived in the area in 20 years or so.

Sep 2008, it's gone a few times before & since, It swept 'Tiddles' the rhino away too & he lost an ear! I'm pretty sure if it keeps up it'll go again later in the day, it's 1 hour 30 from low tide & the reports look high now :eek:
    Wow, when was that, please note I haven't lived in the area in 20 years or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMWNyBbY4y8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

greekorthodox.jpg

Looks like a minor event on the Dodder (so far). As mentioned, nothing like the above. Last I saw the levels were below what would cause a problem for them and only rising very slowly. They might avoid a flooding this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

I wonder what is the story with the underground / hidden rivers of Dublin (I remember watching a documentary on tv / youtube about it, I wonder if they would overflow / water coming up at random places around the town etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Lights flickering in work here for the last 10 minutes.

Sellafield in the UK has closed due to adverse weather conditions. Old Portmarnock Road/N11/M50 at Stillorgan and Bray are closed in both directions due to surface water.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Petrol_Head

Drying up here in Sligo. Wind dying off this past hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Looks like a clearance for the afternoon from the south, cant get here quick enough

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement