Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Power gone here since before 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Sellafield in the UK has closed due to adverse weather conditions. Old Portmarnock Road/N11/M50 at Stillorgan and Bray are closed in both directions due to surface water.

Dan :)

No need to panic about "Sellafield" it is in safe hands !
    homer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

positron wrote: »
    I wonder what is the story with the underground / hidden rivers of Dublin (I remember watching a documentary on tv / youtube about it, I wonder if they would overflow / water coming up at random places around the town etc).

One of them runs under my back garden in a culvert. The manhole was blown open once in a storm due to wind pressure. It is firmly rusted shut now and long may it stay that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I think some sleet was mixed in with that v heavy burst of rain we just had in Meath. Absolutely miserable conditions. We better get a good summer as payback for all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Rte have tweeted that the dodder has risen 6 inches in the last hour alone at ballsbridge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Any reports of what's going on in e.g. Dundalk or Monaghan?? It seems like there should be plenty of sleet or wet snow falling but not sticking in Cavan/Monaghan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Personally I blame the weather forum with your prayers for "cold uppers", "stratospheric warnings" and "strong easterlies".

YOU DID THIS!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Petrol_Head

Any reports of what's going on in e.g. Dundalk or Monaghan?? It seems like there should be plenty of sleet or wet snow falling but not sticking in Cavan/Monaghan.

+1

Where are all the snow bunnies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Here's an image of the M11/M50 Northbound at Bray.:

602120_10151521140870219_1959816112_n.jpg

-posted by The Porterhouse, Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Personally I blame the weather forum with your prayers for "cold uppers", "stratospheric warnings" and "strong easterlies". YOU DID THIS!

On behalf of the weather forum, snow bunnies, storm chasers, and weather-buffs - we thank you and deservedly accept such a prestigious accolade .. (cue speech) .. while we all enjoy extremes in the weather (in here anyway), and get a little over-excited about it sometimes, it's taken for granted that nobody in here wants to see any individual suffer personal harm or injury, or for them to suffer financial loss because of damaged property or possessions, caused by such weather. Slight inconveniences are acceptable in such weather and sure it gives everyone something to talk about :)

Military Road & Sally Gap... you're mine this weekend!!! :mad: Bring it on!

• Advertisement

Article by JOE.ie with a picture tweeted of M11/M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Bray is cut off, feel sorry for anyone trying to get home this evening in Friday traffic, Im taking in 2 refugees in my house already if the roads stay shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

+1

Where are all the snow bunnies?

I'm in Carrickmacross County Monaghan and its just been extremely windy and rainy mixed with wet sleet...mostly rain though.

Thargor wrote: »
    Bray is cut off, feel sorry for anyone trying to get home this evening in Friday traffic, Im taking in 2 refugees in my house already if the roads stay shut.

It's not cut-off. The old wan just walked in a little while ago after getting through Windgates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

red_bairn wrote: »
    It's not cut-off. The old wan just walked in a little while ago after getting through Windgates.
    Cut off from Dublin I mean who gives a f*** about Greystones? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Robbed from Facebook, here's the M50 at Bray.
    246577_628689753814076_1671803479_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Sleety rain in dundalk

Cut off from Dublin I mean who gives a f*** about Greystones? :D

Drive through Kilternan. :rolleyes:

CianRyan wrote: »
    Robbed from Facebook, here's the M50 at Bray.

Posted it on the page before. Keep up to speed. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

look at the trees, the leaves are yellow. More observation!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

Some difference compared to this day last year (from BBC)

_66555976_weather_compared_624.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

And in the midst of all this, the Wicklow lifeboat headed out.....respect! They are brave men.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/wicklow-rnli-rescue-four-fishermen-from-stormy-seas-588810.html

The Wicklow RNLI crew has rescued four fishermen from a French fishing trawler early this morning.

The volunteer lifeboat crew got the call from the Irish coast guard at 3.15am to go to the aid of a 26m, 120 tonne, French fishing trawler, the Bara An Aod, which had suffered engine failure two-and-a-half miles east off Wicklow Head.

There was a strong south-easterly, force nine gale with torrential rain and a three to four metre breaking swell at the time.

The lifeboat, Annie Blaker, located the trawler at 3.55am and and subsequently towed the stricken vessel safely back to Wicklow harbour by 5am.

Tommy Dover, Wicklow RNLI Volunteer Lifeboat Press Officer commended the efforts of the experienced lifeboat crew.

Mr Dover said: "The crew responded very quickly to the Mayday call and had the lifeboat launched within 10 minutes of being alerted. It was such a bad night but the experienced crew confident in the lifeboat’s ability to meet the conditions, skilfully responded and were thankful and delighted to be able to assist the four crew members and their vessel safely to shore this morning."

Enniscorthy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

patneve2 wrote: »
    look at the trees, the leaves are yellow. More observation!! :D

Post on FB says its from today ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

deandean wrote: »
    And in the midst of all this, the Wicklow lifeboat headed out.....respect! They are brave men.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/wicklow-rnli-rescue-four-fishermen-from-stormy-seas-588810.html

The Wicklow RNLI crew has rescued four fishermen from a French fishing trawler early this morning.

The volunteer lifeboat crew got the call from the Irish coast guard at 3.15am to go to the aid of a 26m, 120 tonne, French fishing trawler, the Bara An Aod, which had suffered engine failure two-and-a-half miles east off Wicklow Head.

There was a strong south-easterly, force nine gale with torrential rain and a three to four metre breaking swell at the time.

The lifeboat, Annie Blaker, located the trawler at 3.55am and and subsequently towed the stricken vessel safely back to Wicklow harbour by 5am.

Tommy Dover, Wicklow RNLI Volunteer Lifeboat Press Officer commended the efforts of the experienced lifeboat crew.

Mr Dover said: "The crew responded very quickly to the Mayday call and had the lifeboat launched within 10 minutes of being alerted. It was such a bad night but the experienced crew confident in the lifeboat’s ability to meet the conditions, skilfully responded and were thankful and delighted to be able to assist the four crew members and their vessel safely to shore this morning."

Do we get to keep the fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Darts are now suspended south of dun laoghaire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Saganist wrote: »
    Post on FB says its from today ?

someone just being smart. The leaves are yellow in that pic, so I presume its from Oct 2011

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

positron wrote: »
    I wonder what is the story with the underground / hidden rivers of Dublin (I remember watching a documentary on tv / youtube about it, I wonder if they would overflow / water coming up at random places around the town etc).

Is this the documentary you watched?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

red_bairn wrote: »
    Article by JOE.ie with a picture tweeted of M11/M50.

Just clicked on that link and Norton blocked a Web attack :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement