Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Turned very wild here the last hr. Wind really picked up and lashing rain. 7c. South mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

thebaz wrote: »
    this has got to be the worst March on record - I dont mind the cold , but the never ending rain is a nightmare - please mother nature , give us some blue , cold or hot
    its been dry here, barely any rain up until paddys day? Cold yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

River Dodder at Rathfarnham, Dublin. Image by Keith Boland from Irish Weather Onlines Facebook page

579977_628732613809790_475554096_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

DominoDub wrote: »
    Not a good day for small coupe cars !

Location Dundrum
    flooding-2-390x285.jpg

Is that Barton Rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Beech Drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I'm in Rathfarnham, watching the river intently. Don't know the name of it. It joins the Dodder in Bushy Park. I'd say the level has gone down about 2 or 3 inches in the last hour. Hope it keeps going that way.

dacogawa wrote: »
    River Dodder at Rathfarnham, Dublin. Image by Keith Boland from Irish Weather Onlines Facebook page

579977_628732613809790_475554096_n.jpg
    Where abouts is that? When was it taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Just got this picture from my sister, been in traffic for hours trying to get back Bray. This is outside St. Brendan's college approaching Bray
    246003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

littlejp wrote: »
    I'm in Rathfarnham, watching the river intently. Don't know the name of it. It joins the Dodder in Bushy Park. I'd say the level has gone down about 2 or 3 inches in the last hour. Hope it keeps going that way.
    Where abouts is that? When was it taken?

Well tides are coming back in now (high at 8:21) hopefully it'll even off. not sure where it was taken got it from Irish Weather Onlines facebook page

dacogawa wrote: »

Well tides are coming back in now (high at 8:21) hopefully it'll even off. not sure where it was taken got it from Irish Weather Onlines facebook page

Cheers. Got flooded badly in Ballsbridge on Halloween 2012. Dreading a repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Petrol_Head

Flooding will be ongoing, the majority of surface water can take over a day to even get into rivers. High tide tonight will be one to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

deandean wrote: »
    And in the midst of all this, the Wicklow lifeboat headed out.....respect! They are brave men.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/wicklow-rnli-rescue-four-fishermen-from-stormy-seas-588810.html

Indeed, brave and selfless. Conditions must have been terrible. Here is a video snippet of the rescue.

http://rnli.org/Pages/Video-Details.aspx?VideoItemID=i1vfgrNu

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Its getting a bit mad here in Castlebar, we have had 36 hours now straight of gale force winds and severe gusts, coupled with non stop rain, does not show any sign of letting up either, some start to spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

snaps wrote: »

I try to swim most days , and this Spring is the wort one i can remember - if its not freezing cold, its lashing - I can deal more with the cold - but persistent rain , wrecks my head space

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Is this a band of precipitation covering much of the north and east (and subzero dewpoints) I see?...

13032400_2212.gif
    The day on the chart is wrong, it refers to midnight on Saturday.

M.T. Cranium may have made a good call earlier. This will be interesting come tomorrow! Though nothing to suggest any bands of snow below Athlone yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

snaps wrote: »

I agree, the in like a lion out like a lamb has been reversed this March. Normally we get a warmish March and April here in the Northwest, but it is extra cold this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

DominoDub wrote: »
    Enniscorthy Flood rescue :cool:

Floody+Place+001.JPG

Follow all the action on the Wexford Forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055935316&page=42

:eek: Makes the River Park Hotel slightly less appealing!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Just Moved up to a small old cottage high up on mt Venus road, rathfarnham. I think its 135m up but not 100%. Thought moving in this time of year would give me months to prepare for winter but it snowed the days we moved in & since & now we have a small river going through our garage & out onto the road destroying lots of fire wood & coal :( hope it stops soon! Stress!!! :(
    Stocking lane is flooded in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owendoher_River

beautiful little river, is joined by the whitechurch river at the tuning fork pub.
    Those small cottages beside where it joins the Dodder were badly flooded 18 monhts ago. hope it does not rise too much for them. Th Dodder has already burst its banks at Orwell Park.

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owendoher_River

beautiful little river, is joined by the whitechurch river at the tuning fork pub.
    Those small cottages beside where it joins the Dodder were badly flooded 18 monhts ago. hope it does not rise too much for them. Th Dodder has already burst its banks at Orwell Park.

I'm in one of those cottages. Moved in last November. Heard the floods were bad from the neighbours. The water level has continued to drop over the last 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Chaos up on Sally gap. There's about 50 vehicles stuck as there's only enough space on the road for one vehicle. Weather is terrible and visibility is poor. Could be a long night.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Can anyone please tell me what is going through people's mind when they decide to drive through flood water such as this.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0322/377850-weather-floods-warning/

No one wants to have there time delayed but putting you and your vehicle at risk like this is really not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

WTF ..are People Crazy ..or do they think they know better than all the Warnings issued not to go up :mad:

They should be all made pay for the Wicklow Mountain Rescue!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Chaos up on Sally gap. There's about 50 vehicles stuck as there's only enough space on the road for one vehicle. Weather is terrible and visibility is poor. Could be a long night.

Is it snow up there is it slush/ice issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Are they streamers building off the S/E coast? :eek:

image.ashx?type=rain-snow-sleet&time=

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dub56

Ballyboden St.Enda's pitches on Old Court road Tallaght, swimming lessons this week-end!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Deank wrote: »
    Are they streamers building off the S/E coast? :eek:

Yip...streamers of lovely rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Situation subject to revision if ECM shows a different evolution ...

Fronts are now starting to edge back south and snow area in east Ulster should slowly expand both west and south to cover parts of north Leinster and inland Connacht (and all of Ulster) overnight through Saturday morning. I expect the snow line to be about Drogheda to Longford by 0900h.

Through the day Saturday this frontal zone is likely to stall somewhat mid-day near Dublin then pick up southward momentum by late afternoon and evening. This may lead to heavy accumulations of snow where the front stalls which could be Meath and Westmeath. Also heavy accumulations possible in higher parts of Dublin and Wicklow as the air retreating will be losing warmth itself before the front pushes in.

The situation beyond that is somewhat less clear and accumulations in Dublin, inland central Leinster, and south Leinster through Munster, all of these on Saturday night and Sunday, could be patchy in the 2-5 cm range where it happens.

I am also rather concerned (don't want to say optimistic as that may be the wrong term by now) about blizzard potential Sunday-Monday because of the slower evolution on most model runs at 12z which tends to keep better dynamics for streamers in place. Would not be surprised if we encounter a hit or miss blizzard situation in Leinster depending on how the streamers set up.

Also, continued potential for heavy accumulations in Ulster until about mid-week and if all that is not enough, signs of a snowfall event mid-week from an undercutting low.

On the bright side, day 16 of the GFS looks amazingly close to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yip...streamers of lovely rain!

Agree Docarch, but they are pretty impressive all the same, it's another one of those "if only" scenario's that we get way too often.:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement