Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

compsys wrote: »

Yeah, I'm in Dublin and for such a cold winter the lack of snow has been painful. Don't get me wrong, I've seen a few snow showers but if you were to just look at the monthly temps and weather statistics you'd have thought it would have been an epic winter snow wise.

If it were a mild winter I wouldn't have minded the lack of snow so much. But in Dublin there's been so many near misses it's been so hard to watch!

Some parts of Dublin have been well served...in Dublin 15 we had 3 or 4 snow falls......and higher elevations gave had loads of snow this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    Some parts of Dublin have been well served...in Dublin 15 we had 3 or 4 snow falls......and higher elevations gave had loads of snow this winter.
    The falls were more like dustings, going on the pictures I saw posted on this forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The falls were more like dustings, going on the pictures I saw posted on this forum...

Yeah but sometimes thats all you need ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

fontenoy7 wrote: »

Yes. SOME parts of Dublin and on HIGHER elevations. But the vast majority of Dubliners don't live up the mountains or in certain specific areas.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's been no snow in Dublin this winter. But amounts have generally been small and for a very cold winter it won't go down as one to remember snow wise.

I can guarantee you that many parts of Ireland will have had lower mean temps this winter compared to say Manchester or other parts of northern England. But the number of snow days in northern England will have dwarfed most parts of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yeah but sometimes thats all you need ;)
    :D white powder, nothing sweeter to wake up to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain has turned icy. Icy bits running down the window as the rain hits/splodges off it.

3.4c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Rain has turned icy. Icy bits running down the window as the rain hits/splodges off it.

3.4c atm.

Same here, not holding out for much though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Sleet atm in donegal. Lost faith in getting anything decent. The fat lady singing in the hallway has further enhanced this belief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

90% rain 10% sleet

patneve2 wrote: »
    90% rain 10% sleet

0% hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I can assure you we had more lying snow last year than this year here in d3. Very disappointing this year. I've still had to pay to heat the house every day but with none of the fluffy good stuff. At least last year I had the upside of a smaller heating bill. I love snow more than most but right now I'm just longing for it to stop raining, warm up and the sun to come out. It's got to the end march to either snow or GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

I just want it to stop raining long enough to run out the back and take in what ever washing managed to hold on... yes i hung washing out yesterday morning next thing i knew it was lashing.... so yes I did go %%%k that it can stay there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

I am remaining eternally optimistic for some snow tonight here in North Meath................... :cool:

Let the last dance with Winter commence .....!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

pad199207 wrote: »
    Mate texted me that the power is gone in his Belfast Hotel!

Do you know where he's staying? Dropped for about 10 minutes in my area (just south of the University) as well. Back up the last while but the lights are flickering every 5 or so minutes. Really wish I bought some candles earlier :/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I can assure you we had more lying snow last year than this year here in d3.

.....well.....

Last winter/spring I had 1 morning with snow lying at 0900. Believe it or believe it not, this winter/spring, I have had 9 mornings with snow lying at 0900, and, that does not include one or two mornings where there was lying hail!

Sounds epic/great but no morning had a snow depth greater that 1cm - mostly dustings/patchy snow - and most of the days snow was gone by afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

The wind REALLY started howling again here (not that it eased off that much anyway, but it just picked up again) and looked outside- complete whiteout!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Reiketsu wrote: »
    The wind REALLY started howling again here (not that it eased off that much anyway, but it just picked up again) and looked outside- complete whiteout!

Your so lucky LoG is playing in August ;)

weisses wrote: »
    Your so lucky LoG is playing in August ;)

Hahahaha I know! Wrong side of the Glenshane Pass at the minute :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭arctictree

Temp here is dropping slowly. 2.4c now and lashing sleet. Nearly there.

Rain getting sleetier/more icy here.

Up to 39.6mm now today. Event total now at 67.8mm.

3.2c atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Kildare has been in the rain shadow for the whole of this event. I have only recorded 3.6mm since yesterday.
    A few miles down the road and its a deluge..

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Tornando9 wrote: »
    Kildare has been in the rain shadow for the whole of this event. I have only recorded 3.6mm since yesterday.
    A few miles down the road and its a deluge..

Lucky you so :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Just started snowing in Letterkenny again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Wind picking up too. I thought march would be below average temps and below average rainfall. The amount of rain over the past few days is really going to skew the averages.

I like heavy rain tho. When it hits the window. My son and I sit down at the beach in the car listening to the rain while having a bag of chips. Tis great. If only we didn't live in flood plains. I love floods too.

Police have issued an urgent warning to motorists throughout Northern Ireland not to travel anywhere in the region unless absolutely necessary.
    With more heavy snow expected overnight, the PSNI are warning motorists to avoid the roads network.

Treacherous road conditions have resulted in multiple closures while many other roads are proving impassable due to snow and stranded vehicles.

The Roads Service says north-eastern parts remain badly affected, with additional external contractor resources drafted in on Friday night to assist in clearing roads.

More here: UTV website.

dinorebel wrote: »
    Just started snowing in Letterkenny again.

How is it now. Meaningless or meaningful?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Temp starting a decent decline now. Down to 3.4c here by the coast, 3 more degrees south please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Weathering wrote: »
    How is it now. Meaningless or meaningful?
    According to my scientific peek out of the window completely meaningless.

Cooling down here too.

2.9c DP 2.4c atm.

Still raining. Up to 40.6mm now today. Event total now at 68.8mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Temp is continuing to budge in moderate rain.

3.1c now.

Let's get this done tonight!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement