Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

judgeing by the rainfall radar on met the rain/snow is fizzleing out very quickly over the irish sea....cold and dry from here on in?
    are we expecting any streamers over the irish sea in the next few days while we have the easterly

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Petrol_Head

I think we're gonna need a miracle at this stage. But hey, miracles happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

right now we need a miracle for warm air as well as snow:) it's horrible been stuck in the middle!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Believe in streamers my friends, we could get something on the east coast from them as the week ahead is going to be very cold for the time of year. :)

Met Eireann update:

Tomorrow, Sunday will be a very cold day. There will be some further sleet or snow in the north, east and parts of the midlands. Although amounts of snow are likely to be small in most areas, the snow could give some disruption. In the southwest and west it will remain mostly dry. Easterly winds will remain moderate to fresh throughout the day, making it feel bitterly cold. Highest temperatures of only 2 to 4 degrees over Ulster and Leinster and between 5 and 8 degrees elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

In West Midlands had so Much Snow, Over 4- 7 Inches maybe more, It's I ( in my drive way at least, The snow is still falling, Still got to work 2 and half Hours late, which normally take 20min!

For the west midlands this got to be ones of the snowiest winter, I ever seen! , I have not seen this much snow in one year! (This is even better then 2010) I wonder we get repeat in decembers :) like we did in 2010 ;0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

What did you spam?

I just saying how much it snowed!

Since I'm not liking the met forecasts, any personal forecasts for me? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

best to not watch the UK media, it's sickening stuff. This winter is possibly the snowiest winter for central and eastern UK has seen since 1982, the snow depths in some areas makes our 2010 winter look like a dusting.

We're gonna have to rely/hope for streamers to develop over the next week, the front has died a death over the Irish Sea.

Even if we don't see another flake of snow this side of next December, it's re-assurring to see that March can deliver if conditions are perfect and you are in the right place at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Is it snowing anywhere in Leinster at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Gonzo wrote: »
    best to not watch the UK media, it's sickening stuff. This winter is possibly the snowiest winter for central and eastern UK has seen since 1982, the snow depths in some areas makes our 2010 winter look like a dusting.

We're gonna have to rely/hope for streamers to develop over the next week, the front has died a death over the Irish Sea.

Even if we don't see another flake of snow this side of next December, it's re-assurring to see that March can deliver if conditions are perfect and you are in the right place at the right time.

Would I be right in saying that this is the 2nd time this winter that parts of Northern Ireland/England/Wales/Scotland have had a major dumping of snow that only fell as rain in the majority of the ROI?

If so, why does this occur? Does the majority of Ireland act as a "buffer" and give England a benefit? If we had a land mass to our west, would it be more likely that we would receive snow from the Atlantic? Someone said it on here before and I think they are right - the Atlantic is always very marginal in terms of snow.

D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Some amazing pics on Twitter. Some incredible snow depths in the UK.

I think we have just missed the boat again and I'm not expecting much from any steamers during the week in my back yard but perhaps east coast counties can get their fill. So close but yet so far to getting the big one.

yeah I think this is the second time the snow fell mainly in UK territory (with the exception of Irish high ground and dustings in Donegal). But this has happened many times before over the past 40 winters!,

Im fairly certain if there was extra land to our west that we would have more snow than we do. We are just in the most unlucky position ever for snow considering our northerly location.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

if this pattern had developed over a month ago, i think we'd be talking about a winter to rival 1947 and 1963 - temperatures and snow depth would rival, if not beat, what was experienced in those fabled winters of the past. I think we could include ireland in that.

yeah, during the intense rain over past 2 days our temperatures hovered around 5C no higher, if this was January that would propably have been 1 or 2C. We also had 2 light to medium snow falls early last week with rain showers between the 2 falls. If this was January it would have been all snow and little thawing. We have never come so close to something to epic, just unfortunately we are too late in the season.

Just have to hope we get a setup similar to the one we have now, next December or January.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

yeah I think this is the second time the snow fell mainly in UK territory (with the exception of Irish high ground and dustings in Donegal). But this has happened many times before over the past 40 winters!,

Im fairly certain if there was extra land to our west that we would have more snow than we do. We are just in the most unlucky position ever for snow considering our northerly location.

Only some parts of norn Iron have snow but most don't. Idem for the UK...mostly northern england and on higher elevations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

This winter is possibly the snowiest winter for central and eastern UK has seen since 1982, the snow depths in some areas makes our 2010 winter look like a dusting.

Is that really true though? the way I judge an English winter is the number of football postponements and to my mind there have been very few this year, I bet a lot of those twitter pics are from mountainous areas which are going to get pasted anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

The angle of attack of the various Atlantic LP systems has always gone wrong in the past few months, and who knows when we'll get another winter with so many chances! I am still particularly "sour" about the mid-January LP system, I lost count of the hours of precipitation that fell as sleet on that occasion.

Anyways, looks like the next 7 days may be the final chance for the people that didn't get significant snow this winter. Louth/Meath/Southern NI look like they might get some showers (as well as Waterford and Cork possibly), and then mid-week Dublin is also in with a shot (winds should turn ENE). Then who knows, we might get the "final undercut" next week that marks winter's end.

Would be really interesting to know the tot mm of precipitation that fell with temperatures below 3 C this winter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

patneve2 wrote: »
    The angle of attack of the various Atlantic LP systems has always gone wrong in the past few months, and who knows when we'll get another winter with so many chances! I am still particularly "sour" about the mid-January LP system, I lost count of the hours of precipitation that fell as sleet on that occasion.

Anyways, looks like the next 7 days may be the final chance for the people that didn't get significant snow this winter. Louth/Meath/Southern NI look like they might get some showers (as well as Waterford and Cork possibly), and then mid-week Dublin is also in with a shot (winds should turn ENE). Then who knows, we might get the "final undercut" next week that marks winter's end.

Would be really interesting to know the tot mm of precipitation that fell with temperatures below 3 C this winter!!

There will be snow in Dublin tonight and tomorrowas it is forecast by MET Ei. The south can forget it though as temperatures are too high. Currently 2.7 degrees in Dublin 15. Lashing rain in London at the moment..... you can see that on the live webcam as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Some great snow fall in parts of the UK alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

derekon wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that this is the 2nd time this winter that parts of Northern Ireland/England/Wales/Scotland have had a major dumping of snow that only fell as rain in the majority of the ROI?

If so, why does this occur? Does the majority of Ireland act as a "buffer" and give England a benefit? If we had a land mass to our west, would it be more likely that we would receive snow from the Atlantic? Someone said it on here before and I think they are right - the Atlantic is always very marginal in terms of snow.

D
    I suppose it's a different country with a different climate to Ireland i.e. slightly more continental
    If it's any consolation it's quite common for the UK to get snow and much of Ireland to miss out. Indeed Im old enough to have seen it many times in the 80's. I guess it didn't happen much in the 90's because it was so mild even the UK got zilch
    I wouldn't give up one next week though looks quite snowy to me on windward coasts of East, North and South (Cork)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21910180

"Aerial footage showed cars, trucks and vans completely buried under snow drifts in Cumbria, after blizzard conditions on Friday and overnight into Saturday."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Some of the anti UK weather posts on here is starting to sound and read like the after hours forum. The UK have far more interesting weather than us, that's fact. Warmer and sunnier summers, colder and snowier winters. Some of the Facebook pics I've seen from UK have been taken at sea level. Some from the north west is astounding. I'll try and post some.

246093.jpg

246094.jpg

67.7 MILE PER HOUR gust just now. 4.1c & 1.9dp. Crazy here at the beach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Tindie wrote: »
    What did you spam?

I just saying how much it snowed!

I was only messing. 12 foots drifts in parts of NI and Uk
    Only up the road from me and I have nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Weathering wrote: »
    I was only messing. 12 foots drifts in parts of NI and Uk Only up the road from me and I have nothing

I get the impression that NI is currently the most badly affected part of the UK, re snow drifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

LordSutch wrote: »
    I get the impression that NI currently has the worst snow conditions in the UK.

Surely you mean the best:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

True :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1Ud3h-d5qWI

USA v Costa Rica last night, proper snow that is!

MidMan25 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1Ud3h-d5qWI

USA v Costa Rica last night, proper snow that is!

Yet NI call off a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

67.7 MILE PER HOUR gust just now. 4.1c & 1.9dp. Crazy here at the beach!
    only a gentle breeze here just down the road?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement