Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 arctic_ire

couple of very fine grains blowing here in Celbridge.

temp 2.6
    dp -1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

There's something developing in the tip of Hollyhead and heading straight towards me!

There's a lot to be said about positive negative thoughts.

It will probably fall as rain though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

RTE farming forecast had a dry and cold week ahead. A few isolated wintry showers. Didn't sound like much to get excited about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Lets be realistic. This thread is just full of people who want snow and they'll read into anything that suggests we will get some. It's nearly April and its not going to snow.

I have photos of me playing in the lying snow in Mayo in April 1990. Not particularly high ground either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

My location is by Baldonnell casement and its is bitter - went to the bin, I had to count to make sure I had all ten digits when I got back in the house. But it has that snowy kinda feel to it, and the wind is fierce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

By the way,there are farms in county Antrim where cows have neither been fed milked or watered since Friday as the roads are blocked and theres no power.
    Shed roof's are collapsing right left and centre up there with the weight of snow on them.
    Very dire for rural communities.
    I heard this on five live.

As for the models overnight showing respite up there,they don't really (yet)
    We'll need to see tonights overnight runs.
    If that low travels just 100 miles south of the last one,there could be a very very big snow event nationwide north of a line roughly from Clare to Waterford.

If you don't want,It's time to keep an eye on it.

M.E have kept that out of their farming forecast remit today -No need to frighten anyone.

Theres not much to suggest particular disruptive snow events prior to that but if showers develop or something happens to crop up,all things remaining as today,you'd have your disruption.
    I do think the dynamics of the irish sea aren't great for showers but still,I'd be surprised if as per M.E ,there were only one or two.

We are not at the coldest part of this event,yet temps now here in Arklow at what should be the warmest part of the day are only 1.9c with a dp of minus 1.
    Thats colder than it was during the night and it's with,like the rest of the east,a stiff wind right off the sea.
    You'd know UK snow cover due east was aiding the cold at surface level carried by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

A few snow flakes blowing in the wind suncroft kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Son0vagun wrote: »
    There's something developing in the tip of Hollyhead and heading straight towards me!

There's a lot to be said about positive negative thoughts.

It will probably fall as rain though.

Would you explain why you think it will rain?

Bitter Bitter day.

Dan :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not much in the way of snow in the offering for this week, judgeing from the rte forecast, mostly dry, cold and frosty, the odd wintry shower in the east. Things look more interesting for next weekend we will either have cold rain like last week or something more snowy.

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Would you explain why you think it will rain?

Bitter Bitter day.

I am looking at that also, it is a band of snow right across england it was ment to fizzel out earlyer but look to be geting more energy as it push's into the irish sea.
    I wonder will the east get anything out of it, if we were it would deffently be snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

In Newbridge at the minute and it is bitter, phone app says real feel -6.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

my parents live near Cambridge, it hasn't stopped snowing all day there. Multiple roads closed there now due to drifting. A505, A10 near Royston, hearts closed now impassable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Plenty of tiny snow grains and graupel blowing in the wind, turned into a proper flurry for a minute or two before returning to the previous straining to see anything state.

Bitterly cold, for a March day, or any winter day at that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Getting snow grains here too. So light/small that they can only be seen on the (black) surface of the trampoline.

1.7c DP -1.2c atm

John.Icy wrote: »
    Plenty of tiny snow grains and graupel blowing in the wind, turned into a proper flurry for a minute or two before returning to the previous straining to see anything state.

Bitterly cold, for a March day, or any winter day at that.
    Still blowing in the wind here also

In mount merrion, no snow grains at all yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Feels Baltic out there today. Fingers crossed for some snow this week Kildare usually does ok from an easterly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    In mount merrion, no snow grains at all yet...

Did you check your trampoline? :rolleyes:

:D

BTW, I was in Tallaght about an hour ago and there was a flurry of snow - proper snowflakes falling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

BBC outlook http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/21918316

Interesting,they state from Wednesday onwards snow showers will be concentrated further North. Northern half/third of Ireland appears to get a few on Wednesday and Thursday but obvious this isn't a certainty at this stage.

They think frontal snow at the end of the week will affect more southern areas atm but it appears to be in a line roughly from Mayo to waterford..well there or there abouts I only glanced at it

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Did you check your trampoline? :rolleyes:

:D

BTW, I was in Tallaght about an hour ago and there was a flurry of snow - proper snowflakes falling.

I checked a glossy black table? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Petrol_Head

3.5c, -1.0c DP, -7.1 wind chill. 36kph SE, 72% Humidity. DP is right, waiting for precip!! Pleaseeeeeee

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

3.5c, -1.0c DP, -7.1 wind chill. 36kph SE, 72% Humidity. DP is right, waiting for precip!! Pleaseeeeeee

we could be waiting quite a while, precipitation stretching from London area all the way to north wales heading towards is dying once it hits the Irish Sea.

I think we need this front to go completely for any chance of snow showers to develop over the Irish Sea.

Gonzo wrote: »
    we could be waiting quite a while, precipitation stretching from London area all the way to north wales heading towards is dying once it hits the Irish Sea.

I think we need this front to go completely for any chance of snow showers to develop over the Irish Sea.
    That could take a while probable over night would be the best time to see some showers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Few Flakes blowing around in the wind here bitterly cold too
    rathnew co wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Weathering wrote: »
    BBC outlook http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/21918316

Interesting,they state from Wednesday onwards snow showers will be concentrated further North. Northern half/third of Ireland appears to get a few on Wednesday and Thursday but obvious this isn't a certainty at this stage.

They think frontal snow at the end of the week will affect more southern areas atm but it appears to be in a line roughly from Mayo to waterford..well there or there abouts I only glanced at it
    Looks like still up in the air as to if the snow is finished this year or not ..

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Gonzo wrote: »

You gotta laugh don't ya? When there is bucket loads of precipitation, the temperature is on the wrong side of marginal. Then when the dew points are fine for snow, we can't get the precipitation. And this week looks pretty dry except for the weekend and even then what is the bets that once again we will be on the wrong side of marginal? Just very difficult to get proper snowfall over the majority of Ireland :o

D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Does anyone remember the grips for the end of shoes that would be used to make it easier for people to walk on icy paths. They sold like hotcakes about 3 or 4 years ago but I doubt they would have been used once if at all over the last winter or two.

I don't recall any moments over the last winter where I had to slow down walking up or down my road in the morning or evening slowly because if ice. I've seen dusty snow allright but not ice. I think that is telling about the winter we have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,201 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It really is the worst of all weather. Almost inert. Bad for snow bunnies, mildies, farmers, gardeners,sun worshippers, those with health or fuel cost issues. And a good chance we'll have it for another week. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It really is the worst of all weather. Almost inert. Bad for snow bunnies, mildies, farmers, gardeners,sun worshippers, those with health or fuel cost issues. And a good chance we'll have it for another week. FFS.

Yeah, prick weather I call it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We need the front to move south and it is slowly doing so, Expect some light snow showers to pepper area of the north Irish sea coasts from later tonight and through tomorrow, to set the scene for the next few days.

Perhaps a dusting of 1-3cm in parts by 9am tomorrow, areas i would favour, North Dublin, Meath, Louth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement