Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The usual, give us a break :pac::D

You've got very light snow. Get your happy face on!

that's me being more happy than usual about it! and the neighbours most think im crazy coz i keep staring into the sky just to watch snow flakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Deank wrote: »
    There's definitely something building up in the Irish Sea and heading in the direction of Dublin, whether it will have anything to deliver is another question.

if it has got anything for us we should start to hear about it in the next 20 - 30 minutes..... fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Gonzo wrote: »
    that's me being more happy than usual about it! and the neighbours most think im crazy coz i keep staring into the sky just to watch snow flakes!

Thats what windows are for ;)

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

if it has got anything for us we should start to hear about it in the next 20 - 30 minutes..... fingers crossed

Maybe a bit longer than that, and yes fingers crossed, it does seem to be increasing in size, not too sure how intense it will be, maybe the better educated on here may comment on that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Day 6, still no snow in the City Centre. I've been up all night in case any fell overnight.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6958-1363112540-1_preview.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

It's attempting to snow along the N1 at the Huntsman, Gormanston. I live in hope. I've just driven from Lucan to Stamullen and not a sign of snow anywhere but there. It is damn cold though.

Deank wrote: »
    Maybe a bit longer than that, and yes fingers crossed, it does seem to be increasing in size, not too sure how intense it will be, maybe the better educated on here may comment on that.

Spoke too soon it's dying out before it hit's landfall, there's another building to the back of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

looks to be fizzling out on the radar, perhaps just the odd flurry of nothing too heavy for parts of dublin :(

looks to be fizzling out on the radar, perhaps just the odd flurry of nothing too heavy for parts of dublin :(

And the radar watching continues..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Quite a sensationalist claim from a member of netweathers forum team

Santo

Forum Team

18,730 posts
    Posted Today, 18:20

We do have to entertain this fact that this cold could be locked in for a long time yet, I would consider May, and whilst that seems unbelievable, this pattern is well and truly locked in, for a while yet. I was wondering if it's possible that Meteorological Spring would not happen this year at all.. and to be honest based on some outputs, this won't be far from the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Weathering wrote: »
    Quite a sensationalist claim from a member of netweathers forum team

Santo

Forum Team

18,730 posts
    Posted Today, 18:20

We do have to entertain this fact that this cold could be locked in for a long time yet, I would consider May, and whilst that seems unbelievable, this pattern is well and truly locked in, for a while yet. I was wondering if it's possible that Meteorological Spring would not happen this year at all.. and to be honest based on some outputs, this won't be far from the truth.

And what's the bets we still don't see have half decent snow lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

compsys wrote: »
    And what's the bets we still don't see have half decent snow lol.

ha true enough. We'll freeze our ba.ls off either way that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 13 flopflips

Bits of snow falling in blanch..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Is there any snow in Sutton? I have an event on starting tomorrow which lasts for the week, which greatly depends on the weather being fine. Will it freeze tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Mech1 wrote: »

That's been loading since 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Small blob appears to be heading towards Wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Wind seems to have changed direction slightly as that front moves off southwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Still snizzling away here in Waterford. Temp 2.3c DP 0.2c Humidity 86%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Cogsy88 wrote: »
    Wind seems to have changed direction slightly as that front moves off southwards.

Is that a good or bad thing for possible snow fall :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

mumo3 wrote: »
    Is that a good or bad thing for possible snow fall :confused:

It depends on wher you live. Dublin is in the Anglesey shadow at the moment so a straight easterly isint good for Me anyway. Also wit sea temps so cool at the moment and the wind being quite brisk I Wudnt expect anything more then a dusting for anywhere that does see snow tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Snowing very lightly here in Rathangan.

Blogger50 wrote: »
    Snowing very lightly here in Rathangan.

oh please a bit more detail for us poor folk going snow cold turkey:(
    Is it sticking or just light

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

whats in these showers at the moment would take about a week and a half to fill a bean bag. Not worth watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

oh please a bit more detail for us poor folk going snow cold turkey:(
    Is it sticking or just light

Unfortunately just really light :( Its just blowing about in the wind really. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up.

can I go to bed yet? or will I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

can I go to bed yet? or will I miss something?

Go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Another good 18z regarding next weekends frontal snow situation. However, stuff is almost too far south precip. on the Friday where precip barely makes it inland. By Saturday more precip. is about, but the 0c line is making a journey up the country, not making massive inroads though, so snow is still going to fall for some.

Exciting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

What an event in the UK. I looked on the news and its like suds mixed with shaving foam. If there is any more heavy snow it will be extremely dangerous for these parts but there will not be as it will be a dry week with just light snow flurries on the East coast and temperatures of around 3 or 4c by day and then minus 2 or 3 by night but lower in some of the snow fields in Antrim and Down.

I noticed something interesting yesterday in Sligo. It was sunny for the whole day in and around the Drumcliffe area and cloudy in most of the rest of Sligo. I was wondering why this might be so as I am not a scientist or an upper level folk type man I just presumed that the Strata type cloud is hitting Ben Bulben from the East but then as the water vapour hovers over the Ben it slits as it reaches the coast and causes breaks in the clouds which in turn caused these localised sunny spells all day. I was going to take a photo of a remarkably scenic spot but my phone battery failed.

Any how this weather is quite rare but not unusual in the Nth degree as someone in a scientific background might allude to. The High Pressure has been placed just 200Km North than where it was when we got the 20c in March 2012 so it is dragging much colder air around itself than it would otherwise be. Usually what happens at this time of year for Ireland is that a High Pressure makes its way gradually toward the Azores and we get the Low Pressures brushing our Northwest coast with warmer weather in the South and East. This has not been happening for the past 6 or 7 years and the West has usually got warm weather at this time of year as a result. However this year with the position of the High the Lows are slipping South and creating conditions akin to a Summer in 2007 when the lows went South or over Britain and Ireland and temperatures were well below normal

It is quite possible that the Gulf Stream seems to have lost some of its strength and this is resulting in the weather becoming a law unto itself meaning we could get colder weather as much as warmer weather. In the past few years we have had a lot of mild Winters but at the same time we have seen a lot of cool and wet Summers also so a lot of people are hoping that the cold of March 2013 will mean a hot Summer. It may but the weather and climate decides and noone else really. Alls we can do is make educated guesses, Just look at the boards contest for March and the IMT which will end up in the 3s ,,, the lowest forecast is 5c!!

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »
    Another good 18z regarding next weekends frontal snow situation. However, stuff is almost too far south precip. on the Friday where precip barely makes it inland. By Saturday more precip. is about, but the 0c line is making a journey up the country, not making massive inroads though, so snow is still going to fall for some.

Exciting times.

but who??? who will be the lucky ones??......... tell us we cant take much moreeeee ..... please somebody think about the children (inside each and every one of us)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement