Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I see Met Eireann in their outlook says Munster is at risk of ''heavier'' Snow on friday, That should keep leahyl and Sunbabe happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I see Met Eireann in their outlook says Munster is at risk of ''heavier'' Snow on friday, That should keep leahyl and Sunbabe happy :D

*wakes up* this has perked my interest. :D fingers crossed.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Who's getting all that snow?? In a not so rectangular rectangle between Cavan, Dundalk, Drogheda and Mullingar! Any reports?

Yeah, it all depends on the position of that low that's looming in the Atlantic, if it undercuts us in just the right way it could be a snow-fest, if not it could be a washout.. will mother nature be kind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Weather forum post If in Dublin like me don't say you haven't been warned
    After-hours post If ur area has had no snow yet say the wind blew way ur kite / balloon / ornothopter (borrowed that last one from another lost on boards - the open does not like me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

It's trying to snow here in Camolin. So far, only about a minute of "continuous" wintry precipitation and then a little sneeze or two. It's graupel, I'm guessing. Haven't been out to examine the evidence.

I don't look at any fancy sites, but there are some barely visible pixels on http://www.raintoday.co.uk/, between here and Wicklow, and I'd say that's the source of our big "event." ha. Fingers crossed for more, but I don't see anything on that 15-min delayed map that gives much hope in the immediate future. Hope I'm wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Who's getting all that snow?? In a not so rectangular rectangle between Cavan, Dundalk, Drogheda and Mullingar! Any reports?

My guess is that it is extremely light. Lack of reports maybe due to this, or indeed due to a certain lethargy, ennui or weariness in the common man regarding continuing cold of this magnitude so late in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

dopolahpec wrote: »

My guess is that it is extremely light. Lack of reports maybe due to this, or indeed due to a certain lethargy, ennui or weariness in the common man regarding continuing cold of this magnitude so late in the year.
    There Was a very very light snow shower in Cavan a few mins ago! Don't even know if you'd call it snow, it was like dust flying around :D

True regarding the weariness. If this was over, say, the Christmas holidays, the place would be jumping with enthusiasm, shame this has all turned up so late in the winter season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Trying its best to snow here on the quayside in Donegal Town. Small flakes blowing around for half an hour now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Youneckfreak

Yeah, it all depends on the position of that low that's looming in the Atlantic, if it undercuts us in just the right way it could be a snow-fest, if not it could be a washout.. will mother nature be kind?

They must have taken it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Met Éireann.

Outlook

Looking at our 30-year climate averages the prevailing wind over Ireland is from the Atlantic from between west and south in direction and average daytime temperatures for the end of March are around 10 degrees. Not so however for the coming week…. the prevailing wind direction for Holy Week, (that is the week preceding Easter), is easterly and the source of the air mass being fed in across Ireland is Siberia. 

Daytime temperatures at best only 2 to 6 or 7 degrees and with dew-point temperatures below zero and blustery easterly winds the wind-chill temperature will be well below zero thus unfortunately a bitterly cold week in store. There will be some drying in the wind and there will be some sunny spells however some hail/snow showers will occur most especially in the east. 

There is a firm possibility that the weather will gradually get somewhat less cold over the Easter weekend as the Atlantic milder air tries to break through but temperatures look like still being well below average for Easter Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

True regarding the weariness. If this was over, say, the Christmas holidays, the place would be jumping with enthusiasm, shame this has all turned up so late in the winter season.

As a spectator sport it's falling into a cold grey Division 4 day in a half empty stand in Longford town or somewhere. Only the die-hards remain.

My take on it is that Dublin has a much better chance of seeing snow at low levels this week. I don't expect it to amount to much, even lord ramp himself MT doesn't seem too enthusiastic.

For such an historically anomalous and cold winter (it would seem) I have yet to see lying snow in Dublin 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Even a mention of dew points by Evelyn this morning on Morning Ireland. "Somewhat less cold", so they're not going mild either.

Still a bit of snizzle blowing about in the wind this morning, but that's all I've seen at our level. Mountain tops look pretty caked though.

As a spectator sport it's falling into a cold grey Division 4 day in a half empty stand in Longford town or somewhere. Only the die-hards remain.

My take on it is that Dublin has a much better chance of seeing snow at low levels this week. I don't expect it to amount to much, even lord ramp himself MT doesn't seem too enthusiastic.

For such an historically anomalous and cold winter (it would seem) I have yet to see lying snow in Dublin 3.

I'd be very surprised if Dublin didn't wake up to at least some bit of snow some morning this week, that easterly seems like it'll be here that long anyway. Suppose it depends on how well your snow making machine that is the Irish Sea plays ball. As for Limerick side of the country, we need a LOT of puzzle pieces to fall into place to get even a whiff of snow down here.

Still I'd take a cool dry easterly over mild, damp muck from the west anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Most snow reports come from people who aren't weary from model watching all winter anyway. If it starts snowing in Dublin we will know about it. 200 online here on monday morning not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭redsky7

super light flakes blowing in the air here in sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Light flakes falling here now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Looking at pictures, Antrim seems to have got the most snow in the uk. So hard to believe so close but yet so far.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Looking at pictures, Antrim seems to have got the most snow in the uk. So hard to believe so close but yet so far.
    Have you seen the images from all parts of the UK to say that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Great pictures.

What is the worst county in Ireland for snow? I think its Galway, we never seem to get any decent snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Great pictures.

What is the worst county in Ireland for snow? I think its Galway, we never seem to get any decent snow.

Cork :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

snubbleste wrote: »
    Have you seen the images from all parts of the UK to say that :confused:

Have looked at a lot of pics from around uk but looks really savage in antrim. In fairness that area was getting the major warnings for snowfall in advance too. Am sure parts of Scotland are probably as bad too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Great pictures.

cork city to be exact. it's a rare occasion the snow shield slips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Great pictures.

I thought Dublin wasnt great for snow until I moved to Galway! Galway isnt good for large depths of snow but at least we regularly get small bits of it. Coastal areas further south/west get alot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

There won't be much snow for the south on Friday as far as I can tell. Temps will be far too mild and it will likely turn back into rain. Maybe a better chance further inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Light fine snow KK city.

Where? When? Nothing here at the moment. :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Seems like very few people were watching the UK week ahead forecast on BBC Countryfile. They never as such mention Ireland, but the nature of the forecast tends to show some of what's coming our way in the week ahead.

What was VERY noticeable on the forecast last night was that the present UK forecast seems to be strongly suggesting that the incoming low at the weekend is going to deposit a band of white across areas that are normally well and truly under the snow umbrella. Cork, Kerry and Clare were all under a very clear white band on Friday on that forecast, so if it's white that far south, the possible snow fest for everyone else will be dependent on how far north this low manages to penetrate before it gets pushed back by the cold.

Something similar happened in the South West of England in the late 70's over 2 nights, we got buried in Somerset, to the extent that one of the doors in to the house that was in a corner was completely under snow, so I don't underestimate the potential for frontal snow any more. If that warm wet air bounces off the colder block, and does a pass up over the country and then gets pushed back, the emergency services and ESB could be in for a very challenging weekend. In the South West, it lasted for 4 days, and the thaw did as much damage as the snow, took gutters off roofs, things like that.

With the depth of this cold block, anything is possible. The block in the early 60's arrived in December and hung around till late March.

Looks like it could be an "interesting" or "challenging" week or so, depending on your outlook and your view of the forecasts.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Lord ramp. Love it. Not dissing the great work of M T but he does love an auld ramp (the man knows his audience too well).

Yeah, have seen no lying snow myself in D14 all winter which is a sickener for such a cold February and March.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement