Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Was out in Woodstock, Inisitioge, Co.Kilkenny earlier, light snow in the wind out there. Don't think the City/Town itself will see much tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Great pictures.

What is the worst county in Ireland for snow? I think its Galway, we never seem to get any decent snow.

Has to be Cork City really, Ive never seen reports of more than an inch or 2 of snow there

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

compsys wrote: »

Lord ramp. Love it. Not dissing the great work of M T but he does love an auld ramp (the man knows his audience too well).

Yeah, have seen no lying snow myself in D14 all winter which is a sickener for such a cold February and March.

In Dublin 15 we had lying snow for a few hours only on three occasions this wibter but it was only a light covering. It has snowed several tines this wintet and spring but nit heavy eniugh. Having said that many parts of UK have had little lying snow. Lingfield yesterday not a flake to be seen and a cousin of mine un liverpool where it had barely snowed at all in past two years. Furtherinland in northern england and west midlands got a lot and generally do very well. Scotland especially glasgow and edinburgh have done very poorly in comparison with aberdeen for example. In fact belfast probably does better than glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Seems like very few people were watching the UK week ahead forecast on BBC Countryfile. They never as such mention Ireland, but the nature of the forecast tends to show some of what's coming our way in the week ahead.

The never mention Ireland in the UK reports, they seem to think we have no atmosphere here, either that or they presumed like most of Ireland last week that we were going to be blowen away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

On the upside - have a load of washing hung out fingers crossed it stays there. every cloud .... and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

mumo3 wrote: »
    The never mention Ireland in the UK reports, they seem to think we have no atmosphere here, either that or they presumed like most of Ireland last week that we were going to be blowen away.

Put simply... the respective met services have their own jurisdictions to forecast... They're all like ice-cream van drivers - territorial - you don't sell ice-cream on another ice-cream man's turf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Snowmaker wrote: »
    Put simply... the respective met services have their own jurisdictions to forecast... They're all like ice-cream van drivers - territorial - you don't sell ice-cream on another ice-cream man's turf.

Northern Ireland is shared, but yes thats generally true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I think Northern Ireland is the one and only part of the UK that is ever covered by Met Eireann weather forecasts! You never see England, Wales or Scotland being included in the Irish forecasts, whereas many of the UK forecasts BBC, ITV, Sky do give the odd mention of our weather here . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The thing is there have been quite a lot of snow showers in dublin this winter, just nothing sustained. Have seen quite a bit of snow on the ground around Dublin 18 over the past couple of months but nothing significant. A few heavy snowfalls but the showers were not sustained like they were in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Jaysus lads !!! the sun came out in Leixlip .... well for 10 seconds anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Nice to see a risk again for 2moro :) , though only light showers id happily watch them fall if even like last week were i got a nice dusting here of grauple in the mornings. Once again it'll be a radar watch but should be snow at all levels inland from the coast.

246339.png

#Hopingforappnupgrade

tumblr_mdgzbsX1Ov1rpot5r.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Next time you'll come up Ian ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Snowmaker wrote: »

Sky definitely do the Republic in their forecast. BBC seem to skip us in theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Seems like very few people were watching the UK week ahead forecast on BBC Countryfile. They never as such mention Ireland, but the nature of the forecast tends to show some of what's coming our way in the week ahead.

What was VERY noticeable on the forecast last night was that the present UK forecast seems to be strongly suggesting that the incoming low at the weekend is going to deposit a band of white across areas that are normally well and truly under the snow umbrella. Cork, Kerry and Clare were all under a very clear white band on Friday on that forecast, so if it's white that far south, the possible snow fest for everyone else will be dependent on how far north this low manages to penetrate before it gets pushed back by the cold.

That snow is starting to show up in the GFS at snowforecast.com. Looks like a good 10cm for inland parts of munster on saturday. Looks like more than that for the mountains maybe up to 20cm. Something to watch anyway.
    From my experience in wicklow mountains, this website underestimates the snow. You can usually double what it says.
    It certainly seems to have underestimated what fell in the Antrim hills.

246340.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Gonzo wrote: »

Has to be Cork City really, Ive never seen reports of more than an inch or 2 of snow there

I would love to see some stats on this actually. My sense is that Cork is better for snow than many on here think as we can get if from the west or the east (albeit not ideally placed for either). We had no snow from Christmas day 2004 to Jan 2010 (being the first few years of this weather forum) which I think skewed perceptions on here a bit. We've had at least two events with several inches since then and 3 or 4 other minor events. Snow of several inches does happen here without doubt. I suspect some western counties are worse for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Probably showing my age, but growing up (in England) they used to show towns south of the border on their maps in forecasts, if not mention them. Even now, they at least show the whole island with their cloud cover/ precipitation graphics, even if they don't zoom in - obviously I'm mainly looking at the east coast so they're not often standing in the way, but still it's not like they isolate the north like other UK broadcasters do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

3.5c/-3
    Cloudy in Arklow
    Wind East gusting to 30kmph

I can see a fantastically white lugnaquilla today.
    There looks to be every bit as much snow up there as Cumbria's or Antrim's hills.I've no doubt Thursday Friday was all snow up there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this cold now continues up to April 2nd at least, but there soon has to come a point over the next 2 to 3 weeks that if we see a continuation of this spell that everything will eventually be just rain as summer/May is just 6 weeks away!

If we are still in this situation this time next week as in bitterly cold weather, dry and grim overcast conditions with a total lack of sunshine i'll crack up! Still it is better than relentless rain but I am dying for some sunshine and a bit of warmth at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

whitebriar wrote: »
    3.5c/-3
    Cloudy in Arklow
    Wind East gusting to 30kmph

I can see a fantastically white lugnaquilla today.
    There looks to be every bit as much snow up there as Cumbria's or Antrim's hills.I've no doubt Thursday Friday was all snow up there.

Id say all that rain was snow above 700-800m alright. Id say a few people might climb it over the easter and post pictures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Guardian - Cold weather could stay until late April, say forecasters
    The Met Office's furthest prediction stops at 30 days – 22 April – when colder-than-average conditions and frosty nights are expected to keep their grip on Scotland, northern England and possibly further south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Have looked at a lot of pics from around uk but looks really savage in antrim. In fairness that area was getting the major warnings for snowfall in advance too. Am sure parts of Scotland are probably as bad too

No need to go to Scotland,here's somebody's back yard in Cheshire.

article-2298739-18EA7206000005DC-675_964x673.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Well, Gerry didn't even mention the word sleet :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Easterly flow only producing pointless clouds for now... http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

However, I think there should be light to moderate showers tomorrow and particularly on wednesday. Should be 'solid' precipitation right down to the coast where it occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Petrol_Head

" Why you no make an appearance convection? "

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I knew Gerry must of been on today!
    Tonight

Holding dry across most areas tonight with clear spells - however there is the risk of a few light wintry showers along some eastern margins, and possibly along some southern coastal margins too with onshore breezes here. Very cold, with frost and a few icy stretches too. Lowest temperatures zero to -3 degrees Celsius, in a light to moderate east to northeast breeze.

Tomorrow

Much of the country will be dry again on Tuesday with a mix of cloud and sunshine. However there will be a few wintry showers too, mostly affecting eastern counties (sleet and snow mainly on higher ground here), with a few light passing rain showers near some southern margins. Another very cold day; highest temperatures only 3 to 6 degrees, and feeling sub-zero in a mdoerte to fresh northeast wind.

I honestly can't see anything but solid precip falling! Dewpoints well subzero, 850hPa temps nearing -10c.

I just don't know where they are getting the marginality from? Maybe mention, no risk of accumulation because of light showery nature, but rain, i just cannot see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

" Why you no make an appearance convection? "

Here you go! :-)

36626886.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

This post has been deleted.

Latest GFS would agree, it has the front skirting the south coast Fri/Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I take it we wont be seeing the cold breakdown this weekend?

Looking unlikely at the moment. Less cold probably but still cold enough for snow in most places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

When you pay the BBC license fee maybe they'll mention you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement