Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Too much to ask for? I dream of this particular set-up at night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

patneve2 wrote: »
    Too much to ask for? I dream of this particular set-up at night ;)

A few little shifts here and there next Tuesday and who knows! I'm not holding my breath though :o

fxzmjRT.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Those fronts can't come north unless the jet stream does first and it's almost in Africa!
    The density of the cold air,that the front would need to fight and the high pressure is doing a class A job of disrupting it's normal flow.

Oh and seriously Gerry Murphy and wet Eireann...,rain showers tomorrow??? With sub zero dew points and a surface flow off a snow covered England? Not to mention other factors..

Theres only one place that will be happening tomorrow or any day this week in Eastern areas and I'll give you a clue...,is this where you're forecasting it?

rainshowerhead.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I knew Gerry must of been on today!

I honestly can't see anything but solid precip falling! Dewpoints well subzero, 850hPa temps nearing -10c.

I just don't know where they are getting the marginality from? Maybe mention, no risk of accumulation because of light showery nature, but rain, i just cannot see it?
    uppers may well be cold, but the lower air temperatures are to high. Currently 4.6c here but feels negative in that wind. So if it did snow, time it gets down to sea level its melted. Thus you get snow on mountains, less distance for the snow to travel. my guess anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

was out walking the dogs earlier and it was cold but nice out, hope the rest of the week stays dry before the deluge hits the easter weekend:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

a little hope for the north east tonight according to met ;)

Rather cloudy and mainly dry but with some wintry flurries developing in east Ulster this evening and tonight; some light wintry showers possible in eastern parts of Leinster later tonight also. Very cold throughout but with only patchy ice in places. Fresh to strong, easterly winds persisting; lowest temperatures 0 to -2 degrees Celsius.

snaps wrote: »
    uppers may well be cold, but the lower air temperatures are to high. Currently 4.6c here but feels negative in that wind. So if it did snow, time it gets down to sea level its melted. Thus you get snow on mountains, less distance for the snow to travel.
    With all due respect,it would snow at 4.6c and negative dp's in this type of flow in showers,of course it would.
    Besides looking at the Ireland's weather map most places are sub 4c.
    Temps drop in showers of course.

There's a real air of weather fatigue setting in here when,I'm having to make these points.Regulars here should be well aware of them.

Now... Quiet class,chapter 4 page 56 :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

A flyover around scotland this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

whitebriar wrote: »
    With all due respect,it would snow at 4.6c and negative dp's in this type of flow in showers,of course it would.
    Besides looking at the Ireland's weather map most places are sub 4c.
    Temps drop in showers of course.

There's a real air of weather fatigue setting in here when,I'm having to make these points.Regulars here should be well aware of them.

Now... Quiet class,chapter 4 page 56 :D

an bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an leithreas :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Time to bring out the snow joke .. me thinks

Dak

DIARY OF A SNOW SHOVELER
    December 8 - 6:00 PM
    It started snowing. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktail drinks and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. We love snow!
    December 9
    We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the whole world? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had! Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a little boy again. I cleared both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplough came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life!dead_snowman_funeral_tiny.jpg
    December 12
    The sun has melted all our lovely snow... Such a disappointment! My neighbor tells me not to worry - we'll definitely have a White Christmas.
    No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. However, Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.
    December 13
    Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night. The temperature dropped to -20F. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplough came back this afternoon and buried everything again.. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish I wouldn't huff and puff so.
    December 15snowman_deer.jpg
    20 inches forecast for today. I sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tyres for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. We stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's extravagant. We aren't in Alaska, after all.
    December 16
    Ice storm this morning. Fell on my butt on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.
    December 17
    Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere.
    Θ

Today the electricity was off for 4 hours. We had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. Gee I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.
    December 20
    Yippee the electricity's back on, but we had another 14 inches of the damn stuff last night. More shoveling! Took all day. The damn snowplough came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.
    December 22
    Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white stuff fell today, and it's so cold, it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to go to the loo. By the time I got undressed, and dressed again, I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plough on his truck for the rest of the winter, but he says he's too busy. I think the asshole is lying.
    December 23
    snow_cat_santa.jpgOnly 2 inches of snow today. And it warmed up to zero. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she, nuts?!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.
    December 24
    6 inches fell, but the snow was packed so hard by the snowplough, I broke my shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the son-of-a-bitch who drives that snowplough, I'll drag him through the snow by his hair and beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the damn snowplough.

Funny Snow Story Continues ...
    December 25 - Christmas Day
    Merry Christmas! 20 more inches of the damn slop tonight - Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God, I hate the snow! Then the snowplough driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's a real idiot. If I have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave. snow_rollers.jpg
    December 26
    Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.
    December 27
    Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze; plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $1,750 to replace 4 of my pipes.
    December 28
    Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. The BITCH is driving me crazy!!!
    December 29
    10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am? snowcat.jpg
    December 30
    Roof caved in. I beat up the snowplough driver, and now he is suing me for a million dollars, not only the beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up his ass. The wife went home to her mother. Nine more inches predicted.
    December 31
    I set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.
    January 8
    Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Dak, just loved that....:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Not looking good at the moment. The atmosphere still looking well capped particularly to eastern England with a big large sheet of SC.

The Irish Sea looks slightly more cobbled with perhaps more chance of seeing some convection kick off but still very much restricted.

I do notice perhaps a light shower into Co. Down at the moment.

Still disappointing considering the flow and upper temperatures, the CAP is to be steadily eroded in the coming days however.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Snow flakes blowing in the wind here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

a few specks have appeared out of nowhere in the Irish Sea in the past half hour or so - no Dec '10 thats for sure but we'll see what happens?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Petrol_Head

a few specks have appeared out of nowhere in the Irish Sea in the past half hour or so - no Dec '10 thats for sure but we'll see what happens?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Right in the firing line. If something falls I'll eat my hat.

I've not seen tonight's Ecm yet,I do put a lot of sted in it so we'll see where that takes us tonight.
    But the theme So far is continuing over the next 7 to 10 days of southerly tracking lows and a Siberian east or northeast feed bedding down an athmosphere cold enough from top to bottom to sustain the humble snowflake.
    The longer this goes on for,the likely hood increases for,to repeat what I said Saturday,features to appear in the flow at short notice.
    This set up has the look of inviting this to happen.
    There's nothing to specifically point to yet,but I still feel it's inevitable,I'm not see'ing a way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ye let us know Petrol-Head!

A crumb of comfort is that suprisingly we're better off than our neighbors in eastern England with less of an SC sheet, the Irish sea will have that extra 2-3c SST on the North Sea to give some more energy to the convection and increase vertical motion, enabling more chance of the cloud tops shooting through the cap.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Saganist wrote: »
    an bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an leithreas :pac::pac:

Please may I go to the toilet?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just had a light shower of graupel/snow grains.

2.7c DP -2.3c atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Absolutely desperate scenes on the local news in NI tonight. Thousands of sheep and lambs are likely buried beneath 15 foot snow drifts across rural parts of Antrim and Down.

bilston wrote: »
    Absolutely desperate scenes on the local news in NI tonight. Thousands of sheep and lambs are likely buried beneath 15 foot snow drifts across rural parts of Antrim and Down.
    It is truly awfully.
    But readers here aren't interested much in that.

Seen the Ecm now to 144 which is far enough.
    Cold Cold Cold Very Cold
    flow east all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Seem to be showers kicking off on the raydar on met eirann

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

ZX7R wrote: »
    Seem to be showers kicking off on the raydar on met eirann

Yep , and here they are... very light indeed , mainly in the N Leinster , S Ulster region...

246377.png
    Perfectly on time with what the NAE forecasted too..

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

bilston wrote: »

Awful - the poor things!

Tallaght/Firhouse

Temp 1.7
    DP -4
    Winds 11km E
    Humidity 66%

Sky darkening nicely - however it is nearly sundown so could be that!!!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Light snizzle falling here N/E Kildare

BBC1 NI. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/Home/ZoomRadar?lat=53.269999999999996&lon=-6.945454545454545&z=7&x=167&y=356&type=rain-snow-sleet

Any reports from Dundalk/Drogheda/Navan area - the snowdar says there should be sth happening there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

whitebriar wrote: »
    It is truly awfully.
    But readers here aren't interested much in that.

I love the snow as much as anyone on here, I just thought it was worth mentioning a consequence of it that you mightnt consider if, like me, you live in the city.

• Advertisement

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/Home/ZoomRadar?lat=53.269999999999996&lon=-6.945454545454545&z=7&x=167&y=356&type=rain-snow-sleet

Any reports from Dundalk/Drogheda/Navan area - the snowdar says there should be sth happening there?

Nothing yet at Drogheda Coast. Darker clouds though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement