Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Thats one of the longest days of snow I've ever seen - must have snowed 5 hours straight this morning and on and off all day long.
    And not a bit stuck down! Might as well have rained

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

John.Icy wrote: »
    Snow to the North of me, to the South of me, to the East of me, Jaysus even to the West. Blue skies overhead. Every bit of cloud vanishing into thin air right overhead.

I now fully understand how Cork people feel.

You asked me earlier to get rid the Wicklow Mts for you, and although I feel your pain, I kinda need them to be honest. Maybe I can cut a clearing through them or something instead :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Nice wispy cloud tops off Dublin bay. Interesting evening ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Beautiful all day here in navan. Big snow showers and sunny spells to melt it. Expecting more tonight and for it to stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Solid snow falling in fairview. The real deal christmas card stuff. Winds are slacker too. First time I've felt the potential for something significant later. I can see how high the cloud-tops are in a break to the east

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Solyad wrote: »
    Thats one of the longest days of snow I've ever seen - must have snowed 5 hours straight this morning and on and off all day long.
    And not a bit stuck down! Might as well have rained

Don't let the snow gods hear such ingratitude..think we did alright to get any at all,,might stick later who knows ..altough knowing our luck when the temps drop the ppn will cease..sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Gonzo wrote: »
    bone dry here for past 2 hours except for the odd flurry, the radar completely overplaying what's happening overhead.

The opposite here in South Laois, radar showing nothing - yet some moderate snowfall in the last fifteen minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looking at the satellite images the overall trend in the last few hours is for the clouds to be moving northwards. I can see it being mostly dry in Dublin south soon and in a couple of hours, mostly dry in Dublin north. Maybe some small features will develop overnight and deliver south of Meath northwards but i'm not too hopeful yet.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Same in Newbridge , been going for the best part of an hour now

Send some a few miles South , nothing but the odd tiny flake here in Monasterevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Huge flakes in Liexlip,looks like there was an explosion in a prawn cracker factory somewhere nearby!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Heaviest shower in a while incoming to north Dublin at the moment

Supercell wrote: »
    Looking at the satellite images the overall trend in the last few hours is for the clouds to be moving northwards. I can see it being mostly dry in Dublin south soon and in a couple of hours, mostly dry in Dublin north. Maybe some small features will develop overnight and deliver south of Meath northwards but i'm not too hopeful yet.

I think that the limit for convection will be Bray, North of that should be okay with the best stuff obviously over North Dublin/Meath/Louth. Still a decent ENE component

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I think sunset may be accentuating the clouds looks.
    Similar to post we will see at dusk saying how dark the clouds have gotten.

The showers are alot more organised. Breaks here on the coast Dublin 4, are quickly covered again.
    The slacker winds should help. I don't expect to see any lying snow in dublin(sea level) any time before 12 to night.

hopefully I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

According to the snowdar http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/Home/ZoomRadar?lat=53.305&lon=-6.209090909090909&z=7&x=194&y=354&type=rain-snow-sleet

there seems to be no IOM shadow tonight!

Can anyone confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

According to the snowdar http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/Home/ZoomRadar?lat=53.305&lon=-6.209090909090909&z=7&x=194&y=354&type=rain-snow-sleet

Can anyone confirm this?

As an non expert imho the shower bands look too large to be dissapated by the IOM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Nice heavy shower with big proper flakes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Where in Kildare are you Icy ?

South Kildare, just SouthEast of Athy.

Almost tragic watching clouds to my North over you, and South over Carlow. But at least it looks like its clearer up to the South...makes me feel a little better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

the 50 thousand dollar question? is any of this gonna stick? in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

emo72 wrote: »

Where shouts in Dublin are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Angela Merkel demanded that tax havens be downsized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Nabber wrote: »
    Where shouts in Dublin are you?
    WestSiiiiide.....well lucan to be exact.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Today we learned that the Isle of Mann really does count for little even in certain convection conditions! The sea temperatures are much lower than in November 2010 and comparatively speaking less of the shower development comes from sea surface evaporation. It's also the reason why the showers today have been mainly tepid so far. The attachment shows the radar shot showing it
    today we learned.png

Edit: I posted something similar earlier this month but the picture wasn't very clear. The Isle of Mordor's influence came into play in 2010 but they were exceptional conditions, which I would be suprised to see in the next ten years! Any snowfall in November or December or early January can have those characteristics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Can anyone confirm this?
    Ah, got there before me. I was thoroughly enjoying some food and forgot to hit the post button! But yes, no shadow really. The Lake District appears to have a far greater effect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Can't see there being many showers in the Waterford area tonight. Showers headed our way from the Irish Sea dissipating as they hit the North Wexford Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Petrol_Head

Impressed by how far inland the showers are making it. Could even make west coast yet! Also had a non-radar graupel shower here in Donegal earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Can't see there being many showers in the Waterford area tonight. Showers headed our way from the Irish Sea dissipating as they hit the North Wexford Coast.
    Seems to be the tale of the day today.,I'm right on the edge of the east coast precip,but can always see the brightness to the south.
    Let's see what the enhanced precip tonight brings if anything.
    No hard and fast rule is being followed here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Snow shield well and truly functioning today!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

emo72 wrote: »

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/
    more of the same unfortunately, nothing to get excited about out in the Irish Sea at the moment. We really need to see brighter echoes (yellows and greens) on the radar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow shield holding tight here, nothing since about 3pm, showers must be going all around me.

• Advertisement

big one just coming in off the coast now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement