Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

adamstown1 wrote: »
    Lovely big fluffy flakes in Lucan now....

Might aswell be falling on Lord Lucan for all the good they'll do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Were conditions more favourable I am fairly certain we'd be looking at least 10cm+ now in Ringsend, instead there is nothing on the grass and thick snow still falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Coming down like a Mo-Fo in the CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Saganist wrote: »
    Coming down like a Mo-Fo in the CC.

Can hardly see the window here in D8, hammering it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This probably was as good as some parts of the 2010 spell, just with the difference in time of year being the clincher. If this were December, temperatures would not be above zero and even them crappy little light snow showers would be sticking to the surface.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Keep the faith folks, ME have gone ORANGE! *

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

* (for some areas)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Wicklow and Meath
    Further snow showers today and tonight in the east with accumulations up to 5cm.

Issued:27 March 2013 10:00
    Valid:27 March 2013 10:00 to 28 March 2013 09:00

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭adamstown1

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Might aswell be falling on Lord Lucan for all the good they'll do.

Yeah I agree but I'm not expecting snowmagedden at this stage, it's been lovely watching snow falling on and off since 5am,.....I've got over the what could of been and just enjoying these few hours....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lovely chunky snow here now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Why is everyone saying 'we need' heavier showers?
    we need heavier showers for two reasons, in very heavy prolonged showers the temp would drop to around 0c and the sun is at its highest elevation now so if its going to snow we want at this time of the day - a brilliant in depth meteorological analysis :rolleyes:
    Spring can wait as far as I'm concerned, when does spring start in Ireland anyway - anytime between February and May?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Has been lovely watching the big flakes coming down from time to time. So strange seeing snow on the grass, then it's all gone, then more, then strong sun and snow all gone again. As said above, if it were Dec/Jan, we'd be in business - every shower would stick.

I'm just hoping as things cool down later, if ME are right, we could see sticking snow for the evening/night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it's not just that the showers are not heavy enough, it's the fact that they are not streamers, there just scattered showers. Here there is a minimum of a one hour gap between each shower, sometimes 2 hours or more, wheras in a streamer it go's on for hours on end without much of a break. If we had a proper streamer even now we would propably have snow sticking properly if it lasted all day and into the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential here and sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Lots of lovely snow showers earlier in navan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

nice nice snow shower now :) the seagulls are pissed off

intensity moderate to heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

First chance to get on here today,hope everyone enjoyed their snow,i was surprised to see the bit of accumulation we got here this morning.Nice to see kids out playing in it.
    Anyway another nice shower with big flakes now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Pelting down again not but not sticking. Most has melted since earlier so it's going to need a good amount to recover.

Gonzo wrote: »
    it's not just that the showers are not heavy enough, it's the fact that they are not streamers, there just scattered showers. Here there is a minimum of a one hour gap between each shower, sometimes 2 hours or more, wheras in a streamer it go's on for hours on end without much of a break. If we had a proper streamer even now we would propably have snow sticking properly if it lasted all day and into the night.

yes i agree. we can also get prolonged snow from these types of showers, but the flow would need to be much slacker than it is now

Looks like a Dublin could see very heavy showers in the next half an hour if the radar is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 helloyeshi

Snow is hammering down in DCU, big chunky flakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

we need heavier showers for two reasons, in very heavy prolonged showers the temp would drop to around 0c and the sun is at its highest elevation now so if its going to snow we want at this time of the day - a brilliant in depth meteorological analysis :rolleyes:
    Spring can wait as far as I'm concerned, when does spring start in Ireland anyway - anytime between February and May?

Only problem with the cold now is that nature will suffer badly,there will be eggs/chicks in nests,swallows arriving and no insects for them,plants growth stunted badly etc

I've switched alligance to the warming camp after I felt some nice sun on my face yesterday for the first time in weeks,up the Warming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

All of last night's snow seems to be gone in Swords. It's been snowing intermittently all morning but nothing sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

God don't you just love the snow like we had two years back when a quarter of the driving population crashed their cars making insurance go up and a trip that normally took 20 mins turned into 3 - 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Tá sé ag cur sneachta arís :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gonzo wrote: »
    streamer, prolonged shower? basically the same thing as far as I'm concerned although I'm aware a streamer is not a "shower" , contradicting myself I know but IMBYism has taken over.
    Look south east of the Isle of Man at 1200 and then compare it with 1230 on this radar....... a developing streamer?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

streamer, prolonged shower? basically the same thing as far as I'm concerned although I'm aware a streamer is not a "shower" , contradicting myself I know but IMBYism has taken over.
    Look south east of the Isle of Man at 1200 and then compare it with 1230 on this radar....... a developing streamer?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Elmer I got taken to task yesterday for calling them streamers too.

IMO they are streamers, even MT made reference to them as streamers, can't see that they are part of any front; even the convection making into the east of the UK is coming off North Sea streamers.

If they were streamers then why isn't there a location that's getting constantly snowed on? There are breaks between showers, hence no streamers. These are convective showers, similar to streamers but different in nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Timelapse i did from earlier :)

Full HD

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd prefer warmer weather myself at this stage, as i am running out of window sill space for plants! But me wishing it one way or the other isnt going to change the weather. It is what it is!

Heavier shower again here - grass going white again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Not all of the precip last night was isolated convective activity. There was a rotation which fizzled out and the showers were banding together around it when they hit the east coast early this morning. I guess the current crop of showers could be described as streamers? I'm not sure if there's a specific enough definition out there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement