Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when the 2nd dog?

• 13-03-2013 8:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,
    I think it's early, but I am starting to collect info about that :P
    I am proud owner of jago, he will be 6 months at the end of March and he is doing great!
    I love him and he is well behaved.
    I do a lot of activities with him and I am planning to go to a new obedience course and maybe try agility.

I always thought that I would like to have a 2nd dog.
    For me, and to keep him company.

I would like to know pro and cons and when would be the right time.

I want to enjoy as much as possible the relationship with Jago, to see him growing and understand which will be his normal behaviour when adult before to take a decision. Is that correct? So maybe waiting for sure that he is 1 or 1,5 year old?
    I think is more difficult to train two dogs and have a special relationship with them?
    What you think about that and which would be the better approach?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

I started a similar thread on getting a second (husky) here... If any of it is useful to your question.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056889721?page=1#post_83399353

I'm on my phone so I hope that link works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I would wait until Jago is "grown up" before getting another dog. And I don't mean just physically grown, I mean mentally too. I got a second dog when my first dog was about a year and a half old and was fully trained (well, kind of :P ) and no longer misbehaving like a puppy. So I would wait at least until then, but depending on your dog's personality you might decide to wait longer.

Another consideration is the size/breed of your dog. You'll probably want to get something of a similar size and energy level to avoid any personality clashes or injuries. I have two setters and they're great match for each other, they can play fairly rough without fear of one of them getting hurt and they're both able for long walks. Very. Long. Walks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

We got our second (unplanned) dog when Nr 1 was 3 years old. The rescue dog was approx. 5 months old and it worked really well. Much less training required as Nr 2 just copied Nr 1 and learned an awful lot from her. If I were to do it again I'd definitely wait until the first dog was fully trained and "mature" enough.
    Having said that, Nr 2 is 3 years old now - maybe it's time for a third dog :cool:

Just to add: we have a lab-sized (1) and a small terrier cross (2). Works no problem and can be very funny when they play. The bigger dog lets the smaller win when they play with the pulling rope, very noisy and very funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Thanks for all the answers.
    It was a bit what I was thinking.
    So I can train properly Jago and build a "strong" relationship with him.
    regarding the breed... I love big dogs.. when I took jago I was planning to take a big dog, then Jago "happened"... but he is not too small..
    The 2nd dog will be big :) maybe a female.. but anyway I am sure I will rehome one, so we never know :)

And what about fostering?
    I would like to help dogs being available for fostering.
    Do you think it can impact Jago? It could be a good test also to see how it works with two dogs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

What Bluecherry said. Got our 2nd when the first was a year to 18 months and she basically did half the training. I honestly didnt have to toilet train the 2nd dog, Frisky did it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

**Vai** wrote: »
    What Bluecherry said. Got our 2nd when the first was a year to 18 months and she basically did half the training. I honestly didnt have to toilet train the 2nd dog, Frisky did it for me.

This is what I'm looking forward to. Hugo is a very well behaved, toilet & crate trained, soon to be 2 year old Husky. I've just spent me lunch break 'furminating' him. If the second husky 'blew their coat' the same time... I'd be delighted. Don't get me wrong, we are happy to train the new dog from scratch... I'd just like to see this 'copy cat' training in action.

We are patiently waiting the call to say a litter is on the cards from his breeder... But are happy to wait for the right pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Hooked wrote: »

This is what I'm looking forward to. Hugo is a very well behaved, toilet & crate trained, soon to be 2 year old Husky. I've just spent me lunch break 'furminating' him. If the second husky 'blew their coat' the same time... I'd be delighted. Don't get me wrong, we are happy to train the new dog from scratch... I'd just like to see this 'copy cat' training in action.

We are patiently waiting the call to say a litter is on the cards from his breeder... But are happy to wait for the right pup.

Its great to see your hard work getting passed on like that. Dont get me wrong, you still have to train the dog but its much easier with a little helper.

I only have one dog that blows its coat and thats plenty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Hooked wrote: »

I hope you have better luck than me: it took me 8 months until I could safely say that my second dog was toilet trained. Even now I still hold my breath when he starts sniffing the curtains! I'm always envious when I read about pups following an older dog's lead. Henry follows nothing but his own nose. :D

Advertisement