Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke detector not sensing smoke

Options
  • 13-03-2013 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    We moved into a house recently and firstly I put new smoke alarms in every room. There last night my wife had pasta on the hob and forgot about it. The water evaporated and the pasta started smoking very badly filing the kitchen (which has a smoke alarm(I know it should be a heat detector but hey)). The kitchen door was then opened and smoke then moved into the hall and landing which have detectors also.
    No alarms sounded at all.
    The alarms are two different types:
    Here and Here
    The detectors were tested with the buttons when I installed them firstly only a month ago. the batteries are good and the light flashes and all that but if they dont alarm for amoke what good are they?
    Or is it a certain type of amoke they detect?
    Any info would be great or should I just drop them back and fork out more money for more expensive alarms?
    Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Light a small piece of paper under one and wave the smoke into it. If if doesnt sound return them. Try not to burn the place down.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are the detectors installed flat on the ceiling in the hall outside the kitchen? Make sure they're not mounted on a wall because smoke travels up and then fans out across the ceiling via convection.

I have those Kidde alarms from Argos and they do occasionally go off when smoke escapes from the kitchen so I know they do work.

A possible reason your alarms won't go off is if you mistakenly bought carbon monoxide alarms, 'normal' smoke won't activate them.

Advertisement