Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with micromanagement

Options
  • 13-03-2013 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Excuse the vagueness of this post, just don't want anything that can be used to identify me. Basically I started a job a couple of months ago which is a new position within the company but not new to me.
    My role is being micromanaged by a senior manager who likes to have the last say in everything and I'm finding it is stifling my work as I have to run most decisions by him usually to the detriment of the rest of the company. He used to dabble in my particular role up until recently but basically isn't totally clued in on what's involved.

I'm due manage a very large project within the company and I seem to be getting knocked back at each hurdle as he is also is involved in it.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed ? I'm finding its very off putting as I'm putting in work but then its going to waste because he decides on something else in the end.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Do you actually report to him, or is he just sticking his beak in?

If you don't report to him, I'd have a word with your actual line manager and just outline that you're having issues with this guy and that you'd appreciate being allowed to manage your own workload.

If this guy *is* your line manager, though, you're in a more difficult position. You could sit down with him and try diplomatically point out that you feel that you're not being allowed to manage the project the way you were hired to do. My experience with micro-managers, however, is that they immediately see any request to "back off" as proof positive that you're trying to slack and will sit on you even more.

My sympathies if he is your line manager. I've been in a similar situation before and it's horrendous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Thank the person for their support to date and ask if you can have a weekly status meeting instead? Trying to basically be diplomatic about cutting the contact down and formalize it (I'm assuming direct line manager; if not see the above post).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If he wants to be involved - then involve him! Blitz him with detail, ask his opinion on every little thing. Book a daily (or even twice daily) meeting so he is always free to work with you. Upskill him. Send him interesting articles to read. Etc

Make him beg you to leave him alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

The thing that prompted me to leave my (quite senior - close to 100k)job was being told how great a project I had completed was - and getting a bonus - and then being told that the one thing they could pick up was that the staple wasn't exactly straight in the documentation which I could barely see to do as I was o tired as it was 2am.

I really thought this was a joke.

I resigned the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Excuse the vagueness of this post, just don't want anything that can be used to identify me. Basically I started a job a couple of months ago which is a new position within the company but not new to me.

Ok, your first point, this is a new role for the company, so they are learning as well here, you should see it as part of your role to educate the existing line managers and staff as to the function, responsibilities and limits of your role. This is a great position to be in and a lot of freedom and responsibility comes with defining a new role within a company.

My role is being micromanaged by a senior manager who likes to have the last say in everything and I'm finding it is stifling my work as I have to run most decisions by him usually to the detriment of the rest of the company. He used to dabble in my particular role up until recently but basically isn't totally clued in on what's involved.

OK, he may not be totally clued in on the details of your role, but I can bet he is more aware of how to get things done within the company structures, after all he was successful enough to become a senior manager, if you see him as a barrier to your success then he will be, if you treat him as a valuable resource in navigating your project through the minefield of company politics and organizational structure's then he can be a valuable ally.
    I'm due manage a very large project within the company and I seem to be getting knocked back at each hurdle as he is also is involved in it.

I have worked in roles where gaining the truest and buy-in of senior management has bee very important in the success of projects and the key is communications. Communications planning is often overlooked in project and is often quoted as the primary reason for project failure.
    Any suggestions as to how to proceed ? I'm finding its very off putting as I'm putting in work but then its going to waste because he decides on something else in the end.

Remember your manager has much to gain by your success as it reflects well on him, and nothing to gain from your failure. Think WIN-WIN, talk to him about the project, set a vision of what success will look like for both of you and decide on a communications plan.

If he is having problems letting go of decision making responsibility, perhaps sit down with him and create a RACI for the upcoming project, that should increase his comfort level that the correct people are making the correct decision at the right level of responsibility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement