Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser / Credit Card Poor Quality

Options
  • 13-03-2013 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else been experiencing problems with poor quality chips on credit and laser cards? Mine are with Ulster Bank and I must have gone through about 6 in the last 6 months.
    Always kept in a wallet and rarely near a phone. Never had this many problems with them in the past despite having it in my pocket most of the time.

It seems like the chip itself gets damaged by card readers very easily and scores appear in the first week or two of use. Off now to order a new card after my 2 week old card failed again today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah I'm with Ulster Bank and have the same problem. I've got to the point where I just accept that one time in three the chip won't read. Can't be dealing with ordering new cards constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm not with Ulster Bank, so I can't comment on their cards. But two thoughts come to mind:
    - if you regularly use one particular ATM, the machine might have a fault;
    - might you be causing the problem by using force inserting the card in the machine or taking it out?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

with ulster and have it over a year, not a problem at all. Never had any problems with any other cards with any other banks in the past. Likely down to way its being stored

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

My card is in a card wallet. Kept away from anything that could cause interference. I've worked in cards for most of my life and know how to treat them. It's just poor quality. As the OP said, the chip appears damaged pretty much within days.

I have an AIB credit card and have never had any issues with that and the card is visibly holding up much better to any wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

I believed one machine caused a problem alright, stopped using that completely. Of course a random could be in there somewhere but not at this frequency.

As above I definitely havent been mistreating the card, havent had it long enough to do so. It definitely seems to be the batch in the last year or so though, the navy bankcards and black mastercards. Never had issues with cards before that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

My ulsterbank card is about a year old now, no issues to report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dashano

I have gone through about 4 Ulsterbank cards in the last 2 years. It is not usually the chip that is the problem. It is the card itself cracking under the magnetic strip. Very bad quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

My ulsterbank card is about a year old now, no issues to report :)

Keep it safe so, you dont want one of the new ones :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm with Ulster Bank and use the same card all the time. I use it a lot and in all the years I am using cards I have never had a problem at all. Latest one issued last December and working fine.

Advertisement