Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sat Nav Recommendations for car

• 13-03-2013 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I thought motorists would know best.

I'm thinking of getting my Dad a new sat nav. The main problem he has with his current unit is that the maps are way out of date. He has no smartphone.

I'm thinking either this - Garmin Nuvi 50LM

Or this - Garmin Nuvi 2445LM

Does anyone have any knowledge of which might be better? Both have lifetime map updates, which is important.

Also, if I'm neglecting a great sat nav around that price point please do let me know.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

Personally I use Google Maps on my android phone and haven't used TomTom in a long time.

I even prefer it over Garmin.

IMO if you have an Android and a good data package on your mobile, another seperate sat nav isn't necessary.

Afaik you can even create routes on google maps and they are there on your phone automatically.

I even use google maps on my mobile in the U.K on three as it costs the same as home.

That's the only reason I'd use tomtom or Garmin is if I were out foreign and no three network.

If I were to choose then I'd rather a tomtom over Garmin based on experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Thanks Mad Lad,

If it was me, I'd just use my phone too. But I think a dedicated unit would suit my Dad more.

So you prefer Tomtom? Something like this seems decent - http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_839819_langId_-1_categoryId_212513

Yeah that would be just fine.

Though you might get a U.K Ireland one cheaper if he won't need the full western Europe map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

Personally I use Google Maps on my android phone and haven't used TomTom in a long time.

I even prefer it over Garmin.

IMO if you have an Android and a good data package on your mobile, another seperate sat nav isn't necessary.

Afaik you can even create routes on google maps and they are there on your phone automatically.

I even use google maps on my mobile in the U.K on three as it costs the same as home.

That's the only reason I'd use tomtom or Garmin is if I were out foreign and no three network.

If I were to choose then I'd rather a tomtom over Garmin based on experience.

Thats all well and good till you're in the sticks with no data reception...

I just like to add that maybe you should set it up for him, sat navs today make several bings and bongs to tell you you are in a speed limit zone etc and I find electronics the beep at me extremely annoying so I turn it off.

• Advertisement

GavMan wrote: »
    Thats all well and good till you're in the sticks with no data reception...

Unless you take a wrong turn, it loads the complete routing information for your trip, but in my experience it has never been a problem, though yes it could happen. I may have been lucky.

I do believe they have a downloadable map option these days ?

Ah yes I just checked my mobile, you can download google maps now.

Simply click the menu in the maps app and click "make available offline" then select the part of the map and it completely downloads it for you so you don't even need a data connection even for re-routing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I'd be the opposite to Mad, I've used both Tom Tom and Garmin and prefer Garmin. Either are good though.
    I use my phone too mostly, but sometimes you can't beat a dedicated Sat Nav. Especially abroad, where thanks to rip-off networks it's prohibitively expensive to use your phone abroad as a nav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I've a fairly new Tom Tom and it regularly gets routes I know well wrong. I'm sorry I didn't research it more and buy a Garmin. Just make sure if you are getting a Garmin get of the newer ones that have lifetime free map updates.

Oh, and the Garmin Nuvi 50LM is very basic.

This is much better.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-2595LMT-Lifetime-Updates-Bluetooth/dp/B005LGTLWQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363178214&sr=1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

Ah yes I just checked my mobile, you can download google maps now.

Simply click the menu in the maps app and click "make available offline" then select the part of the map and it completely downloads it for you so you don't even need a data connection even for re-routing.

That is handy to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I've used both TT and Garmin. I much prefer Garmin but ymmv. Consider what maps he'll want and whether lifetime mapping or lifetime traffic updates is more important. To update, he'll need to attach it to a computer regularly. I find it useful more for foreign travel and have SD cards with other regions also.

GavMan wrote: »
    That is handy to be fair

Tis, but I just discovered it won't save "all" of a map, say from Dublin to Galway. But what you could do is save the map of the last part that you are not so familiar with, or the place you most likely won't have coverage.

It does store a good bit, around 40 mb worth. I haven't tried it yet.

Maybe the Garmins have improved but I found the route calculation just as stupid sometimes as the tomtom.

Sat navs really are for people to get from A to B without the stress of routing through maps or looking for street signs. Doesn't matter what make or model you have, it will annoy you sometimes. I just found the tom toms better and more reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,327 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP there is a dedicated GPS forum, you might get a more specific answer over there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I thought motorists would know best.

I'm thinking of getting my Dad a new sat nav. The main problem he has with his current unit is that the maps are way out of date. He has no smartphone.

I'm thinking either this - Garmin Nuvi 50LM

Or this - Garmin Nuvi 2445LM

Whatever you get, make sure it's a Garmin. The maps on the Tom Tom aren't great, especially in Ireland and they often get the routing spectacularly wrong.
    I've tried both extensively and I wouldn't ever have a Tom Tom. Garmins can also use Loc8 codes, which are GPS based post codes for Ireland that are becoming increasingly used by businesses.

Whatever you get, make sure it's a Garmin. The maps on the Tom Tom aren't great, especially in Ireland and they often get the routing spectacularly wrong.
    I've tried both extensively and I wouldn't ever have a Tom Tom. Garmins can also use Loc8 codes, which are GPS based post codes for Ireland that are becoming increasingly used by businesses.

"loco8 codes" ? that's a new one for me, I guess garmin have moved on since I last used them. But I found the Tom Tom to be the better device.

Anyway for occasional use to get from A to B, either the Garmin or Tom Tom would do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

If your going to be using the sat nav in rural areas get a Garmin. It uses navteq mapping as is much better in these areas than the tom tom in my experience. The Garmin also has a better suction cup for mounting on the windscreen.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If your going to be using the sat nav in rural areas get a Garmin. It uses navteq mapping as is much better in these areas than the tom tom in my experience. The Garmin also has a better suction cup for mounting on the windscreen.

Absolutely not, the tom tom that I have uses a fantastic mounting system.

We used it in the west in the sticks and found no problem with mapping where the Garmin used to get confused and switch off completely.

Non of the sat navs are perfect, and these days I rarely use Garmin or Tom Tom and find Google the best of all, I just talk to the damn phone and it finds where I want most of the time, a business, or a location and boom I'm off, non of the sat navs can do that without subscription or as good.

I will say though I thing for the OP's Dad, I think that the Garmin or Tom Tom would do the job just fine for occasional use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Absolutely not, the tom tom that I have uses a fantastic mounting system.

We used it in the west in the sticks and found no problem with mapping where the Garmin used to get confused and switch off completely.

Non of the sat navs are perfect, and these days I rarely use Garmin or Tom Tom and find Google the best of all, I just talk to the damn phone and it finds where I want most of the time, a business, or a location and boom I'm off, non of the sat navs can do that without subscription or as good.
    You just basically push the Tom Tom onto the creen which doesn't create a good bond with the windscreen, it's suction cup is just pure rubbish in my experience, with the Garmin on the other hand the suction cup has a leaver which creates a great bond with the windscreen, it has never fallen off the windscreen on me, the same can't be said for the Tom Tom.

On the maps front I've used both in rural areas and the Garmin always came out on top. The tom tom has no accurate maps for many rural areas and I would often find the road I was looking for was in the middle off a field!! according to the Tom Tom. It was very bad in rural parts of Cork in particular. The Garmin has yet to fail me in this regard. Not once has it put me wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

You could also consider:

1. Android: Tom Tom Europe: on your Android phone for €42. No data necessary and all maps locally stored.

2. iPhone: Garmin Streetpilot: for around €60. Same deal, maps and so all all local on your phone.

3. iPhone: Tom Tom Europe: for iPad or Iphone for €89.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You just basically push the Tom Tom onto the creen which doesn't create a good bond with the windscreen, it's suction cup is just pure rubbish in my experience, with the Garmin on the other hand the suction cup has a leaver which creates a great bond with the windscreen, it has never fallen off the windscreen on me, the same can't be said for the Tom Tom.

On the maps front I've used both in rural areas and the Garmin always came out on top. The tom tom has no accurate maps for many rural areas and I would often find the road I was looking for was in the middle off a field!! according to the Tom Tom. It was very bad in rural parts of Cork in particular. The Garmin has yet to fail me in this regard. Not once has it put me wrong.

Well maybe in the old days, but it has a fantastic mounting system now. And has for over 1.5 years. And installing and removing the tom tom itself is a doddle. It's really good.

The maps were not so good with the old tom toms but I've not had an issue with the new maps.

The model I have is a bit old now it's Go 4CS01. (GO Live 1000)

Here is the mounting system. It really is fantastic and never fell off once, and taking it on off and on is really easy.

WD-Tomtom-GoLive1000-side_zps0e3a5940.jpg

Advertisement