Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invitation to First Time Buyers Seminar

Options
  • 13-03-2013 12:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hello Guys,

I was recently invited to a first time buyers seminar in a hotel closeby. I was wondering do people find these helpful or just a waste of time because you can find so much information online these days. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Let me guess run by either an estate agent or a bank ?

Rubbish idea. All it is is an opportunity for a vested interest to try drum up business. You will get as much information on this forum as you would in any seminar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Some knob of a TD in Galway tried this with vested interest groups about 3 yrs ago, to talk up the market....they're as bad as scammers, stay away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭AfterHrsProp

D3PO wrote: »
    Let me guess run by either an estate agent or a bank ?

Rubbish idea. All it is is an opportunity for a vested interest to try drum up business. You will get as much information on this forum as you would in any seminar.

Thanks I was thinking that, just as a matter of interest have you been to one before?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Can you post up information/invitation on this please. I'm starting from almost complete novice so would like to attend one just to hear how the process works (and don't want to be constantly bothering Killers with my questions)

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Can you post up information/invitation on this please. I'm starting from almost complete novice so would like to attend one just to hear how the process works (and don't want to be constantly bothering Killers with my questions)

mate trust me just post your questions on here you will get all the informaiton you need. Those seminars arent being run in your interest they are being run to get your business form peopel who dont give two hoots about you.

• Advertisement

Thanks I was thinking that, just as a matter of interest have you been to one before?

No I havent. I wouldnt either. Seminars are not being run for your good, they are being run with a very clear motivation behind them.

If you need information on the buying process, there are plenty of mortgage advisors in banks or mortgage brokers who will happily talk to you for no fee.

If you go try a drinking game, one shot everytime you hear, "We have hit the bottom" "now is the time to buy" "renting is dead money"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Do you have to pay to go to these seminars? Presumed they were free (abeit heavily sponsored)

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Do you have to pay to go to these seminars? Presumed they were free (abeit heavily sponsored)

Yes they would probably be free. Free bad advise from vested interests isnt free though in my book.

You can get free impartial advise elsewhere. Why go to a vested interest to get their shaded interpretation of what an FTB should know and subsequend "advice"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

be careful, you could end up leaving with a timeshare :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

be careful, you could end up leaving with a timeshare :D

Or two....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

EBS hosted one in the Rochestown Park Hotel in Cork on the 28th of February. I have no idea how they got my details having never talked to them about a mortgage before.

I didnt bother going as I dont think id agree with much of what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Or you have to buy their book.

Advertisement