Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E46-Keyes locked in boot-car locked

Options
  • 13-03-2013 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hello all,

As it says I have locked my only key in the boot on my 2002 e46 and the car is locked. What are my options??

Please help?

EDIT: Excuse the spelling error in the title..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=688309

Just copped that you're completely locked out,so the above link is of feck all use to you.

What about ringing a locksmith?

Or last resort, breaking one of the cheaper windows - you'd have to suss that out first.

Some of the more proficient car thieves will be along shortly!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

You reckon I could get a hanger in between the rubber and the window? I have the coupe with pillarless doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Do you have the spare plastic key for door opening?

It should be on your spare set.

The only key I have is in the boot..

Are you near a locksmith or out in the sticks?

• Advertisement

Are you near a locksmith or out in the sticks?

Not far from Cork city..About 5 miles

DAZP93 wrote: »
    The only key I have is in the boot..

So no plastic opener key then.

Okay well you can easily try open the car with a long Wire looped at the end, or a coat hanger straightened out and looped at the end. Catch the door handle and pull.

Its tricky but it can done. Use a small wedge of timber or rubber doorstop to keep the window slightly ajar (only slightly as you dont want to crack it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

listermint wrote: »
    So no plastic opener key then.

Okay well you can easily try open the car with a long Wire looped at the end, or a coat hanger straightened out and looped at the end. Catch the door handle and pull.

Its tricky but it can done. Use a small wedge of timber or rubber doorstop to keep the window slightly ajar (only slightly as you dont want to crack it)

I think the E46 has dead locks?

Casati wrote: »

Meaning that when its locked all the locks are armed till its opended using the key?

Casati wrote: »

hmm not sure if it has tbh, Arent deadlocks illegal under EU legislation. something to do with safety?

• Advertisement

According to this thread on the exact same topic on another forum, they have deadlocks;

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36806

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

If you go to a main dealer, they should be able to supply you with one based on the chassis no. (not sure if you can get plastic wallet key) You'll need a log book and id to order a new key though.

Have you tried any local garages? There may be someone local who can break into the car for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

bmw will cut ya a key that can open it but not start. id imagine some id is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

Screw all that,

Exact same thing happened to me with my e46, cheapest option for me was smash the rear left light cluster and stick my arm in and pull out the keys. Kinda satisfying to take a wheelbrace to the lights too :D
    Only issue is the plastic behind the lens is pretty robust so I had to use a wire snippers to cut out a hole, it was handy it happened at home and not in town.

Second-hand amber rear light cluster cost me €20

Cheers for all the advice lads. a v525..Only spotted your post this morning and it sure looks like a great option but I called out a 24/7 locksmith yesterday evening..Picked the lock..100 quid. Done and Dusted, now to get a key cut over teh weekend just for opening the door..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Banser

My key (I only have 1) got locked in the boot of my e46 but luckily my car was unlocked I managed to remove rear speaker and fish the key out with a wire hanger

Advertisement