Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain mapping with wordpress

Options
  • 13-03-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Hi
    You may be able to assist
    I have a wordpress blog @ www.xxxxx.wordpress.com

I want to map this domain to a domain name I already own (but have nothing hosted at)

wordpress support says get my domain managers to change the name servers to wordpress nameservers but domaian managers say no as that will hand control over to wordpress and that I should only change A record for which I will need the IP address (that I don't know..)

Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Your domain manager doesn't offer domain forwarding with URL masking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Torqay wrote: »
    Your domain manager doesn't offer domain forwarding with URL masking?

How would this effect the url of pages other than the index page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Well, it should always show your domain rather than wordpress. Example:
    http://your_name.wordpress.com/about/

will become
    http://www.your_domain.com/about/

Thanks

I'll enquire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnmd01

In your domain manager control panel point the default www record entry to the address of your blog, usually via cname. or URL redirect.
    Most control panels or webhosting management frontend will have a few options for this.

• Advertisement

OK a bit lost here

'Domain Managers' manage all my organisations domains so I dont have any access.

They recommend only changing the A record (which if I understand it maps to an IP address, but as a wordpress blog is only a sub domain of wordpress.com I cant get an IP address.

So back to my original post.

What is the issue with handing control over to wordpress if we map domains as they recommend???? I dont get this??

Also would it be just handier if I just host the blog with blacknight or hostingireland and scrap the whole wordpress.com stuff.
    And if I do this will I still be able to avail of the features provided wordpress.com ???

Sorry for the questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnmd01

What registrar did you use to register the domain name?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Zipppy wrote: »

Also would it be just handier if I just host the blog with blacknight or hostingireland and scrap the whole wordpress.com stuff.
    And if I do this will I still be able to avail of the features provided wordpress.com ???

Check out Jetpack :) . And I would recommend self hosting over a wordpress.com blog, it will give you more flexibility and upgradeability down the line if needed. wordpress.com is very locked down

Nick

Advertisement