Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSOD - Page Fault in Non Paged Area

Options
  • 13-03-2013 1:21pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick question.

A computer is randomly coming with a BSOD related to the Page Fault in Non Paged Area. No new software or hardware installed that could cause the problem. Antivirus / Firewall removed. All 4 ram pieces have been replaced with new and unused ones. The error still randomly appears.

Any other thoughts? Possible fault on the HDD?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Sully wrote: »
    Possible fault on the HDD?

Test it then... HD Tune from within Windows or ViVARD (included in UBCD) if you want to test OS independently.

If you have a spare HDD, try a clean installation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

HDD Passed the test.

The error message doesnt really tell you a whole lot unfortunately.. non-paged area means RAM but you have eliminated that and I have seen that message caused by all sorts of stuff. If you want to be really sure on the RAM run memtest for a few hours.

I would check the HDD first, you want to do proper full-disk checks (which will take hours for a large disk) and you also want to check the SMART data manually.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

2GB of the existing ram was new enough. But I bought 2x 2GB to repalce them all from Crucial. Still happening so I can safely rule out RAM. HD Tune has given the all clear for the HDD. No new software or hardware installed when the messages happened.

I took time out when they kept occuring to remove junk from the computer (not that it was going to impact it) and then ran CCleaner to clear out the system and registry. Just for the sake of doing it to be 100%.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

could try deleting/creating page file, booting into last known good configuration, system restore, could try getting more ram. Reinstalling OS is usually what I do :pac:

Could easily be a fault with ram, run memtest.

If that passes I'd test cpu and mobo.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    No new software ... installed that could cause the problem.

Sure about that? Wouldn't be the first time that a Windows Update is wreaking havoc.

Torqay wrote: »
    Sure about that? Wouldn't be the first time that a Windows Update is wreaking havoc.

Oh well when I meant software I didn't mean windows updates. I can't say I noticed anything recently though.

As I said, if HDD and RAM pass the tests, try a clean installation on a spare drive (if you have one) and see if it is still acting up.

A proper HDD test takes at least a couple of hours, anything that is done in half an hour is a quick test (or a very small drive?).

Ideally you want to human interpret the SMART data in addition to an automated test. Often you'll see obvious signs of a dying drive long before the error count goes high enough to trigger a fail.

Gonna give ViVARD a run on the HDD later today. I don't have a replacement drive to swap it with!

• Advertisement
Advertisement