Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyman Revolution Rotating Gun Vice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Hope it works as good as it looks to for ya

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Must be fairly handy. How many times have we been in all manner of shapes trying to get to a screw under the gun or hold it still while trying to get it done with one hand.

Let us know how you get on with it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

I initially went on looking for the vice clive has but then i came across this , it is twice the price of the best vice but the rotation was a big plus and the way you can adjust the lenght down to even work on a pistol.
    You can also work on your shotgun on it ,just break to gun and put the barrels in from the back on the clamp and its held rock steady for you.
    It is a very well manufactured product and i would say it will last me to the end of my shooting days.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

I'm looking for a vise too. What does Clive have? Is it the tipton best gun vise? Postage from the US to here is crazy money on those though.

Clive has the tipton best vice, looks good and solid. Can be bought from the Uk as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Robotack wrote: »
    I'm looking for a vise too. What does Clive have? Is it the tipton best gun vise? Postage from the US to here is crazy money on those though.
    lb1981 wrote: »
    Clive has the tipton best vice, looks good and solid. Can be bought from the Uk as well.

I got it here in the sales section. It does the job. Here I was holding the rifled action in the vise while fitting/leveling a scope

IMG_1734_zps6f09fb33.jpg

The Wheeler Engineering Professional Reticle Leveling System will be my next purchase Clive, have watched a few videos on line and it is one handy tool ,i have a small engineers level i got from work but it is still too big, where that is purpose built and will last a life time, the other scope aligning kit they sell is a great job with the lapping bar, could have done with that a few months ago.

I just got the wheeler system too... Seems like a nice piece of kit though yet to be used by me. Is the lapping bar really necessary I wonder?

I just got the wheeler system too... Seems like a nice piece of kit though yet to be used by me. Is the lapping bar really necessary I wonder?
    It is when you need to lap your rings like i did lst year.

lb1981 wrote: »
    It is when you need to lap your rings like i did lst year.

What set of circumstances / symptoms lead you to know the rings needed lapping?
    I always thought quality rings should have a consistent interior surface.

• Advertisement

What set of circumstances / symptoms lead you to know the rings needed lapping?
    I always thought quality rings should have a consistent interior surface.

Unfortunately, all bases, rings, and actions are not manufactured in perfect alignment with each other. Whether you have a one-piece or two-piece base, the odds are against you that your rings will be in perfect alignment.
    Misaligned rings actually cause your scope's main tube to bend, causing distortion and requiring you to use excessive amounts of windage(the problem i had) and elevation which moves the scope farther from its optical center. The farther you are from the optical center, the more likely you are to have distortion and a darker sight picture.
    Properly aligned rings create more surface contact with the scope tube to keep scopes in place during heavy recoil. Misaligned rings cause stress on the scope tube, which can dent the tube, distort the reticle, and cause adjustment problems.
    For the sake of a few mins it is a worthwhile exercise.Get some engineers blue put it on your scope tube and lock up your rings, you will probably be surprised how little surface contact you might have.

Now that bis news to me... makes me wish I bought the entire wheeler engineering scope mounting kit now instead of the reticle leveller and torque wrench as separate items.

Is there any method of "home lapping" say with a 30mm timber dowl & sandpaper?

Advertisement