Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leitrim style boxty.

Options
  • 13-03-2013 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a recipe for Leitrim style boxty? The pan variety not the loaf. All the ones I've seen online seem too have too many ingredients from what I vaguely remember making as a kid.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I've used the recipie outlined in the link below with great success. I've also used variations of that recipe such as butter plus milk as opposed to buttermilk, no bread soda.
    Various recipes use different combinations of potatoes and flour. It's not much trial and error - just make a small batch and fry each piece until you create something you like the taste of. I've used olive oil for frying too which has worked well.

http://www.thedailyspud.com/2009/11/22/spud-sunday-leitrim-boxty-3-ways/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I have never made boxty but my husband claims this is the real deal and the way it was made when he was a kid...

2lb Potatoes -grated, and as mush liquid squeezed out as possible
    1/2 pint buttermilk
    7oz Flour
    Pinch of salt and pepper,
    1/2 teasp sugar
    Butter to fry the boxty in.

Mix everything together until you get a thick batter, heat a large frying pan, add the butter and pour in the patter and cook for 3-4 minutes each side.

Serve with grilled bacon and fried eggs....

Advertisement