Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patricks Day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Ooooh, I quite fancy a trad session and a pint of Guinness :D

Anyone planning on going to the 1 o clock session?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Sounds like fun. Or at least better than getting paraplegic in Clapham. I've got work to do tomorrow though so maybe a late afternoon slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm planning on going to the parade for 12 but if it doesn't look promising myself and herself will probably head up around then. Planning on going to the 4pm session at least.

Anywhere else up around Camden good on St. Patrick's Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I might wander to the 1pm session if you're still up for it?

blondie83 wrote: »
    I might wander to the 1pm session if you're still up for it?
    Actually I'm in the middle of an Arnie versus Stallone all night marathon at the prince Charles, so possibly scratch that - will be asleep then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

enda1 wrote: »
    The church is in Battersea.

I think they were referring to the Church in the Clapham Grand

http://thechurchlondon.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

No probs, actually might head to the 4.00 instead. Anticipating a wee hangovrer tomorrow. If anyone still intends going let me know :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

enda1 wrote: »
    I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed never to have been to the swan...
    Should I fix this / give in on Sunday?

It's not all that. I did have an argument with a mate some years back when she claimed it was a shame how it seems to be full of "Eastern Europeans" these days :rolleyes:

I'll probably be down at one of the locals. Not going mad, as have to work the next day.

Sorry folks but I'll not be able to make the trad session this afternoon. Pretty disappointed

Was up too late for the afternoon trad session, but going to head to the concert or the spoken word and music thing at 8 if anyones around?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

So did anyone go to the Swan? I was in Stockwell briefly last night but forgot the Swan existed, thank god!
    Saw a guy passed out on the platform at Moorgate, had red hair, I bet he was some Paddy who'd been on it all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    So did anyone go to the Swan? I was in Stockwell briefly last night but forgot the Swan existed, thank god!
    Saw a guy passed out on the platform at Moorgate, had red hair, I bet he was some Paddy who'd been on it all day!

Either that or it was Prince Harry

We stayed in and watched a documentary on Rowan Gillespie. Mad, eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I gave it a miss this year... Too much on at work to be drinking the night before and the weather was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

gazhoop wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

Anyone got any suggestions for a decent session on Sunday night. Somewhere that with a live band playing a few decent ballads would go down very well!

Incidentally if anybody wants to kick off the weekend with some live League of Ireland football London Hoops will be showing the Dublin Derby between Rovers and St. Pats tonight in the Cock Tavern - NW1 1HB - kick off is at 7.35. All are welcome, even Junkies..! ;)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/London-Hoops-SC/306252979439437

Does this place always/often show LoI games then or was it something you London Hoops organised? (cant access that fb page at work)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I'm intrigued by The Swan now. My flatmate was there before and she says it's massive.

Beers at The Swan soon?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm intrigued by The Swan now. My flatmate was there before and she says it's massive.

Beers at The Swan soon?

Bad silvervixen84! No biscuit! :mad:

(I'm about as keen to have beers at The Swan as I am to visit the BedRackRedBack in Ealing. *shudder*)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Beers at The Swan soon?

I can't make it - I'll be at home poking my eyes out with a fork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Fysh wrote: »

(I'm about as keen to have beers at The Swan as I am to visit the BedRackRedBack in Ealing. *shudder*)

Wasn't that in Acton and didn't it close?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Wasn't that in Acton and didn't it close?

Maybe and God I hope so, I was dragged there once by friends (and couldn't really refuse on the basis that I was sleeping on their couch) and, well, *shudder* about covers it.

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »

RedBack is more Acton way, than Ealing. And it's closed. And the pub that replaced it back in September is also closed. Apparently, there's a new pub to open soon. And close, too, no doubt...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I don't know what ye're complaining about. I was dragged to the World's End in Camden last Saturday after getting stuck in company with people from home. Three hours of drinking mucky pints and avoiding the toilets which incidentally reminded me of a scene from The Killing Fields. It is easily the worst pub in London.

FTA69 wrote: »
    I don't know what ye're complaining about. I was dragged to the World's End in Camden last Saturday after getting stuck in company with people from home. Three hours of drinking mucky pints and avoiding the toilets which incidentally reminded me of a scene from The Killing Fields. It is easily the worst pub in London.

It's quite dire, isn't it? But, jump back to the second summer of love (1988) and it was quite a different beast. The place was a lot smaller then and the vibe was awesome. You could drink outside and every weekend there'd be a party. Sometimes it feels like only yesterday.

FTA69 wrote: »

I've only been there a couple of times, but the impression I got was of a place that's alright if it's not Friday or Saturday night. (Though you can argue that this describes most pubs in Camden, or any other trendy/popular area in London...)

Beers at The Swan soon?
    Yes!

Seriously, that sounds like a great night. Much like a night in Coppers or a Van Damme movie, some things are just so terrible they're great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Reekwind wrote: »
    Yes!

Seriously, that sounds like a great night. Much like a night in Coppers or a Van Damme movie, some things are just so terrible they're great

Would be an interesting experience for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'd go for the craic!

Avoiding it for the past few years makes me feel like a London Irish fraud.

Reekwind wrote: »
    Yes!

And by "great" you mean "comparable to repeatedly punching yourself in the nuts, followed by using wire wool as toilet paper", yes?

There is a slightly masochistic element to this, yes. But occasionally it's good to take a break from discussing Chekhov and Satre and just have an eventful night out. My inner culchie demands it

• Advertisement

I heartily support this product and/or service and/or beers (I've also never been to Coppers so maybe this will let me know what I'm "missing"!)

Advertisement