Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Respite Grant - Can someone advise please?

Options
  • 13-03-2013 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I am wondering if we qualify for the respite care grant and am hoping someone can advise please before I go through submitting everything and then it being a waste of time.

My husband cares for my mother and uncle - my mother is wheelchair bound and needs a hoist to be moved and has a huge number of medical issues. My husband takes her to all her appointments (which are many) .. I meet them there to speak with the doctor when needed, he does all her shopping, deals with her bills etc etc. The HSE have given her some home help hours (home care and HSE) but because she is hoist 2 people are needed to take her out of bed and my husband does some of this and also we pay privately for some help ... My mother does not live with us but her personal alarm is set to have them call my husbands number in the event of an emergency.
    What I am wondering is is he entitled to get the respite care grant?
    It says that it is for "full time care" but what defines full time care? He spends a LOT of hours between everything doing whatever is needed for her but with her getting some HSE hours also I'm not sure about the definition ... as far as he is concerned its full time for him but not sure if the Dept look on it that way ... anyone any advice or experience?

My uncle gets only half an hour home help 5 mornings per week even though he needs help washing, dressing, making sure he eats etc etc. My husband takes care of what he needs re appointments etc also

Thanks

Comments

Advertisement