Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Mars not more weathered?

Options
  • 13-03-2013 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Reading about Curiosity's drilling results and other observations led me to wonder why evidence of past water on Mars is not actually harder to find?

For example, there are already pictures of what are obviously old river beds, and it has been supposed that the clay deposits found in the recent drilling could indicate that curiosity was drilling into an old lake bed. Indeed, the pictures of the bore hole shows that the colour of the material is very different just below the reddish surface.

But doesn't Mars have winds an sandstorms? Why hasn't all this evidence been more eroded away? I know it has a very thin atmosphere, so erosion is probably light, but it's supposedly been billions of years since there was any flowing water. That's a lot of time for erosion to have an effect.

I would have expected pebbled river beds and lake bottoms to be well buried under a lot of dust by now....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

There probably are a lot of riverbeds buried but wind borne dust also doesn't settle in places where the wind is stronger so you see bedrock. Just think about snowdrifts and how you will also see places where the bare ground is visible, where the wind scours away any snow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

on earth water is 1,000 times denser than air

On Mars it's way lower ~1%

no idea of the way you corrolate them wrt energy and stuff
    but 100,000:1 is like 3 billion years to 30,000 years

anyway the number of meteor craters can be used to tell ages and erosion rates and plate tetchtonics

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As the good Capt'n noted the Martian winds are incredibly feeble because the atmosphere is so thin and low pressure. If you could walk about without a spacesuit on the surface, you'd barely register a 200 mile per hour wind on your skin. If you screamed your lungs out, someone could be standing 30 feet away and not hear you. The particles any Martian wind could lift would be tiny, more like talcum powder. On earth winds can even move rocks across dry lake beds under some conditions. So the rate of wind erosion is much much less than on Earth.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Thanks for the replies - interesting stuff!

Certainly the atmosphere is thin now. Do we know how that might have changed over history? e.g. back when there was water, and Mars was warmer with internal heat still fueling things, do we know if the atmosphere was more complex and more dense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Gwynston wrote: »
    e.g. back when there was water, and Mars was warmer with internal heat still fueling things, do we know if the atmosphere was more complex and more dense?

I'd imagine so, my understanding of it is that when the core cooled, Mars would have lost its magnetic field which thus left its atmosphere to be decimated by solar wind...

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'd imagine so, my understanding of it is that when the core cooled, Mars would have lost its magnetic field which thus left its atmosphere to be decimated by solar wind...
    They say its magnetic field is patchy and has poles all over the place. Completely unlike our magnetic field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

shedweller wrote: »
    They say its magnetic field is patchy and has poles all over the place. Completely unlike our magnetic field.

As in currently, or when the planet was geologically active {core still molten}?

Currently, afaik.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

as far as we know only Earth has tectonic plates that move - iirc it's to do with organisms depositing shells on the ocean floor

volcanism has been seen on lots of moons
    Venus has had recent volcanism (recent relative to 4 billion years)

volcanism is powered by temperature differences
    you can have mud volcanoes, sulphur volcanoes and even liquid nitrogen volcanoes

Tectonic plates are the result of magma flowing underneath. It drags the crust of the earth in different directions which breaks up the crust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

I was reading recently about Enceladus, and I think there is quite a bit of evidence to suggest it is tectonically active.

shedweller wrote: »
    Tectonic plates are the result of magma flowing underneath. It drags the crust of the earth in different directions which breaks up the crust.
    yes , but IIRC there is a biological role involved

maybe I'm getting mixed up with volcanism, anyway it's a Gaia thing
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subduction
    Geophysicist Don L. Anderson has hypothesized that plate tectonics could not happen without the calcium carbonate laid down by living beings at the edges of subduction zones. The massive weight of these sediments could be softening the underlying rocks, making them pliable enough to plunge

yes , but IIRC there is a biological role involved
    I must look up that, thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

I thought that subduction needed water for lubrication and that this was one of the reasons why the surface of Venus is so geologically young. The runaway greenhouse evaporated all the surface water which knackered the plate tectonics. Without plate boundaries as an exit route for energy from the mantle, the surface heats up and periodically melts entirely and overturns. I could be dreaming it.

Advertisement