Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil usage

Options
  • 13-03-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

Looking for opinions on the costs incurred these days with oil consumption. We're in a 4 bed house and are quite conservative with the heating - when it is very cold, an hour or two in the morning and maybe 3 hours in the evening. On normal days with temps averaging at 10C etc it would be considerably less. Not even every room is being heated (rads off) yet we've gone through so much oil it's insane. By these figures, how many litres of oil do you think one could go through over 6 months from Autumn to Spring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I don't know in litres but we're in a 3 bed semi & we have spent 1200 in gas oil between September to the present and there is very little left in our tank, however I was home a lot with a baby & had to keep it warm.

When we were both working fulltime and had it on as much as you describe I'd say we were spending 600-700 Autumn through to Spring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Mink wrote: »
    I don't know in litres but we're in a 3 bed semi & we have spent 1200 in gas oil between September to the present and there is very little left in our tank, however I was home a lot with a baby & had to keep it warm.

When we were both working fulltime and had it on as much as you describe I'd say we were spending 600-700 Autumn through to Spring

Thanks - I've spend over twice that amount. and beginning to wonder if the lines are not working efficiently or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Rasmus wrote: »
    Thanks - I've spend over twice that amount. and beginning to wonder if the lines are not working efficiently or something.

how old is the boiler ? when did you have it last serviced ?

I have oil and roughly have the same usage pattern as you normally have it on 5 hours per day since September we have used approx €700 in kerosene.

Boiler is only 4 years old and serviced yearly.

D3PO wrote: »
    how old is the boiler ? when did you have it last serviced ?

I have oil and roughly have the same usage pattern as you normally have it on 5 hours per day since September we have used approx €700 in kerosene.

Boiler is only 4 years old and serviced yearly.

Wow that's a lot less than us. I don't know when the boiler was last serviced as we have been renting here only since last year. Do you think there might be a function issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Wow that's a lot less than us. I don't know when the boiler was last serviced as we have been renting here only since last year. Do you think there might be a function issue?

boilers not regularly serviced are known to be less efficent.

We bought a new boiler 4 years ago. It was touted to be 33% more efficent in fuel usage. It has easily paid its cost back in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭orlaanne

We have the exact same usage pattern and we've burned through about 650 liters in less than 4 months but our boiler is from the 70s and getting replaced very soon. I would highly recommend getting yours serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you plan on staying there for another year or so, look into getting it serviced, but it should only cost €100 or so.

Ensure the rads are leaked, so that there is no air at the top.

Also, check the pipe for leaks between the tank and the house.. The extreme cold can cause the pipe to burst or crack, and loose you oil.

=-=

Check if they're a OFTEC registrant or a member of another recognized Competent Persons Scheme .

Recognized Competent Persons Scheme = FETAC, City & Guilds, Renewable Energy Installer Academy, SEI, or persons holding oil boiler installation / service certificate obtained directly from Oil boiler manufacturers.

This helps to ensure that it ain't just some cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Get your burner and boiler professionally serviced. Your air / kero mix may be wrong. Ask around for a recommendation. The person will need professional tools / meters. Only way for them to know if they've serviced it correctly or not. Anyone can do the basics. And 'anyone' often does.

Also, I would recommend turning down the water temp from 75 to 65. Others may disagree. Easily done on some boilers but best to ask the technician.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Small 3 bed terrace, not well insulated. No heating in the AM used and about 2 to 3 hours per eve from Oct to Mar...obviously a few more hours at the weekend.
    We'd fill the tank with about 500 litres per year....so about €470 at current rates

We've an old boiler....was in the house when I bought it so at the very least it's 15yrs +
    And have to admit, I'm not great at getting it serviced. Got it done last year for the first time in years

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jd80

Where is your oil boiler located in relation to the dwelling?

In a boiler house attached to the dwelling?

Or one of those Grant rusty 'boxes' locared in the middle of the lawn at the rear.

If there is a run of pipes under the ground outside, this will contribute to heat loss. Moreso, if the lagging on same is, as with most, mediocre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Have a similar size house to you. Tracking to about 1000 Lt for the year. Last year was a bit more, but I stopped putting the heating on in the mornings this year.

Thanks all. Put in over 2,000 litres since Autumn and the boiler was serviced last year. I guess I just have to be even more conservative with the heating and maybe not use it in the morning like some of you have advised.

Advertisement